Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Ghostview contols

  1. #1

    Default Ghostview contols

    The distribution SUSE 11.0 contained GSView but in SUSE 11.4 it has been replaced by Ghostview.

    Starting Ghostview I see

    http://wgpqqror.homepage.t-online.de/ghostview.png

    with the main menu items

    File
    Page
    Magstep
    Orientation
    Media

    But clicking/double-clicking trying all mouse buttons I do not get any sub-menus with options, for example to open a certain Postscript file or to change orientation.

    With one of these items selected keyboard shortcuts can be used, though!

    Is there a trick somewhere or is my Ghostview simply corrupted?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,654

    Default Re: Ghostview contols

    Click on the button (for example 'File') and do not release the mouse
    button, keep it pressed the menu appears as long as the left mouse button is
    not released.
    Btw why do you use this stoneage old program (I am just curious)? You can
    use okular in kde or evince in gnome (I do not know all the others) as are
    more modern postscript viewer.

    --
    PC: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Core i7-2600@3.40GHz | KDE 4.6.0 | GeForce GT 420
    | 16GB Ram
    Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.7.2 | nVidia
    ION | 3GB Ram

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Ghostview contols

    On 2011-11-01 21:25, martin_helm wrote:
    > Btw why do you use this stoneage old program (I am just curious)? You can
    > use okular in kde or evince in gnome (I do not know all the others) as are
    > more modern postscript viewer.


    Even "gv" is more modern.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  4. #4

    Default Re: Ghostview contols

    martin_helm:

    Click on the button (for example 'File') and do not release the mouse
    button, keep it pressed the menu appears as long as the left mouse button is
    not released.
    Negative! I can keep the button pressed as long as I want, no menu appears. I removed and re-installed the package with YaST. As expected the same thing!

    If you do not believe me, install it yourself (11.4!) and try!

    But certainly "okular" (for which the controls work!) can be used instead of "ghostview".

    But for the repository 11.4 either a correct version of "ghostview" should be provided or the package should be removed with a note that "okular" with essentially the same functions should be used instead!
    Last edited by stamcose; 02-Nov-2011 at 08:44. Reason: post => ghost

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Ghostview contols

    On 2011-11-02 16:46, stamcose wrote:
    > Negative! I can keep the button pressed as long as I want, no menu
    > appears. I removed and re-installed the package with YaST. As expected
    > the same thing!


    You can use "gv" which is similar, but better, and works.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,654

    Default Re: Ghostview contols

    stamcose wrote:
    >
    > If you do not believe me, install it yourself (11.4!) and try!
    >

    I installed and tried it before I posted to your first question and it
    worked here as I described (12.1 RC1 64bit on my test machine), so I have no
    clue what is wrong with yours (I simply had to install it since I do not
    remeber how programs wwork which I did not use for more than 10 years and i
    think even that is not enough).
    Just to be sure I installed it now on my PC in 11.4 and see the same effect
    as you. Strange, but I do not think I want to investigate that in more
    depth.
    I think this package suffers from bit rod and should be thrown away.

    But still why do you not use the newer gv which is just fine (as Carlos
    suggested)?

    --
    PC: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Core i7-2600@3.40GHz | KDE 4.6.0 | GeForce GT 420
    | 16GB Ram
    Eee PC 1201n: oS 12.1 RC1 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.7.2 |
    nVidia ION | 3GB Ram

  7. #7

    Default Re: Ghostview contols

    Yes, "gv" is fine just as "okular". But "ghostview" as provided in the repository for SUSE 11.4 is obviously faulty. "GSview" has been removed from the repository of the 11.4 release!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,654

    Default Re: Ghostview contols

    stamcose wrote:

    >
    > Yes, "gv" is fine just as "okular". But "ghostview" as provided in the
    > repository for SUSE 11.4 is obviously faulty. "GSview" has been removed
    > from the repository of the 11.4 release!
    >

    I have to correct that a bit, despite I said I will not investigate I could
    not resist d quickly did a few checks.
    On 12.1 the ghostview from the oss repo just works, in 11.4 not. But when I
    run the ghostview on my 11.4 PC via ssh -X on my 12.1 machine the 11.4
    ghostview also works!
    So it seems either the ghostview itself is not broken in 11.4 but a glitch
    with the xserver or kde in 11.4 happens here and this is resolved in 12.1 or
    it is something completely different which I do not understand.

    --
    PC: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Core i7-2600@3.40GHz | KDE 4.6.0 | GeForce GT 420
    | 16GB Ram
    Eee PC 1201n: oS 12.1 RC1 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.7.2 |
    nVidia ION | 3GB Ram

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Ghostview contols

    On 2011-11-02 20:53, martin_helm wrote:
    > stamcose wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Yes, "gv" is fine just as "okular". But "ghostview" as provided in the
    >> repository for SUSE 11.4 is obviously faulty. "GSview" has been removed
    >> from the repository of the 11.4 release!
    >>

    > I have to correct that a bit, despite I said I will not investigate I could
    > not resist d quickly did a few checks.
    > On 12.1 the ghostview from the oss repo just works, in 11.4 not. But when I
    > run the ghostview on my 11.4 PC via ssh -X on my 12.1 machine the 11.4
    > ghostview also works!
    > So it seems either the ghostview itself is not broken in 11.4 but a glitch
    > with the xserver or kde in 11.4 happens here and this is resolved in 12.1 or
    > it is something completely different which I do not understand.


    I just installed it, and it doesn't work in my 11.4. It is enough to write
    a bugzilla.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,654

    Default Re: Ghostview contols

    Carlos E. R. wrote:
    > I just installed it, and it doesn't work in my 11.4. It is enough to write
    > a bugzilla.
    >

    I agree.
    Since it works in the factory snapshot for 12.1 RC1 it should be easy to
    backport the solution to 11.4.

    https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=727906

    --
    PC: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Core i7-2600@3.40GHz | KDE 4.6.0 | GeForce GT 420
    | 16GB Ram
    Eee PC 1201n: oS 12.1 RC1 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.7.2 |
    nVidia ION | 3GB Ram

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •