Xfce has started acting weird...

I just installed OpenSuse 11.4. Ran great right out. Was even thinking of switching from Linux Mint. Since it’s on a netbook I wanted to use something a little slimmer, and went with Xfce. But it’s started acting…weird. It happened after I did some updates.

• There aren’t any bars across windows (the area where it normally has the X and box to make the windows bigger).
  • In Yast, I can’t search. The text box is there, but it it won’t let me type anything in it.
  • Firefox will only open in about a quarter window, and when I click on the menus (file, edit, etc), it brings down the menu, but it dissappears right away when I try to take the cursor down to select an option.
  • It doesn’t seem to recognize workspaces anymore. I had Thunderbird and Firefox open at the same time, and the windows overlapped. I can’t alt-tab between anything. Nothing shows up on the bar at the bottom or in the workspace windows near the clock.

Should I reinstall?

Welcome here.

Reinstalling is not a real option, it’s better to solve the issue. From what you tell us, it looks like the windowmanager crashed (crashes). This always leads to loss of the window decorations. I’m not familiar with XFCE, so I can’t be of much help. BTW did you try to run compiz to get desktop effects?

On 2011-10-31 14:36, hamstersbane wrote:
>
> I just installed OpenSuse 11.4. Ran great right out. Was even thinking
> of switching from Linux Mint. Since it’s on a netbook I wanted to use
> something a little slimmer, and went with Xfce. But it’s started
> acting…weird. It happened after I did some updates.

What updates?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

To be honest, I’m not sure. I just ran YaST to update whatever was old after the initial install. i know there were some things that had to do with YaST itself. Beyond that, not really sure.

As for reinstalling not being an issue…I was thinking about reinstalling and using Gnome instead.

On 2011-10-31 21:36, hamstersbane wrote:
>
> To be honest, I’m not sure. I just ran YaST to update whatever was old
> after the initial install. i know there were some things that had to do
> with YaST itself. Beyond that, not really sure.

Did you reboot?

> As for reinstalling not being an issue…I was thinking about
> reinstalling and using Gnome instead.

You can add gnome without reinstalling. In Linux you can have several
desktop types simultaneously.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)