DVD Edition

Hello everyone, I am new to OpenSUSE and I wanted to know that what is the differene between CD and DVD editions of OpenSUSE. If there are extra softwares on DVD edition can anyone list them. Thanks in advance.

The DVD version has more software. I am unable to list them all. The DVD version comes with KDE, Gnome and other desktops. That’s all I know off the top of my head.

The DVD will let you install. KDE, Gnome XFCE, LXDE and text based sever
The CD will only install the version you are using, Eg: Gnome live CD, will install Gnome

If you choose to install Gnome from the DVD you get a more complete install.

But, if you use a CD. Post install the updater will bring all the extras in and of course you will have access to the full blown OS via the repos.

Thank you asarge and caf4926 but can anyone give me link where i can compare softwares on both cd and dvd versions because I plan to test DVD also. Thanks.

There is no comprehensive list that I know of
This may help
Portal:11.4 - openSUSE

Also the DVD is not live.

Let me see if I can explain.

There’s the DVD edition, the live CD edition, and the network CD edition.

I’m guessing that you are asking about the live CD edition. But let me first comment on the network CD.

If you use the network CD, you will get pretty much the same software as if you use the DVD. The differences are:
1: The network CD is small, so a smaller and quicker download).
2: The network CD works through the Internet, so you will need an active Internet connection during install.
3: With the network CD, the software is all loaded over the network, directly from the repos.

If you use a live CD, you will get the quickest possible install. However, what is installed will be a bit different from what you install with the DVD (or with network CD). The capacity of a CD is smaller than that of a DVD, so it cannot contain as much. So some software is dropped, so that it will fit. What is missing, can be added later from the repos, assuming that you have an Internet connection.

Installing from the DVD, you will have a lot of software (a mini-repo) on the actual DVD. This will go faster than the network install, because data access speeds to the DVD are usually faster than network speeds. However, not all software is on the DVD, so you might still find yourself installing some software from the Internet, if you happen to want software that is not on the DVD.

Here’s what I decided to do when installing 11.4 (last March). I had two 64 bit systems to install, and I had two 32 bit systems to install. I downloaded the live CD (the KDE version) for 32 bit installs - that’s about a 750M download. And I downloaded the network CD for the 64 bit installs. That was around a 200M download.

My thinking at that time: I wanted a live CD, because it is useful to have one around for repairs. And the 32 bit is the most useful for that, since I can use it on all systems. The network CD seemed to make sense for the 64 bit installs, because the total amount of data downloaded - the CD itself plus the installed software on two systems, was probably less that the amount of data downloaded for the 4.7G DVD image.

I’m inclined to think that was good reasoning. However, when installing 12.1 (which comes out soon), I will probably go with the DVD. The main reason for the change - it is because “variety is the spice of life”, so why not do things differently this time.

On 2011-10-29 15:36, nrickert wrote:
> There’s the DVD edition, the live CD edition, and the network CD
> edition.

There is also the Boxed DVD. You have to pay for it, has a small paper
book, and about 9 gig (double layer). Usually biarch, ie, both 32 and 64
archs on the same media. Even more packages than the free DVD. It comes
with a limited install support by email or phone, IIRC.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

I used that on 11.3 and on several earlier versions. It’s a good choice. It came with a second DVD (or maybe that was a CD) with a live system. I occasionally booted that live system for making backups of the installed system.

As I recall, the navigation to where to buy the boxed DVD was a bit opaque on the opensuse web site. And it would not allow me to order until several days after the release. Being impatient, I decided to download the iso for the 11.4 install.

Thanks everyone for helping me. I plan to try openSUSE and replace ubuntu .