Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Kompozer tries to open files instead of Firefox

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ladysmith, BC, Canada
    Posts
    324

    Default Kompozer tries to open files instead of Firefox

    One of my laptops is running OpenSuSE 11.3 with KDE4. I also run KDE3 KDEPIM because I'm not happy with KDE4's version of KDEPIM.

    Everything works well until I click on a newslink in email, and if I have kompozer installed, kompozer starts and tries to open the url, instead of Firefox.I have Firefox configured to start programs, but I can't figure out how to get kompozer not to start opening links. I can't find anything on the kontact or kmail configurations, either. Suggestions?

    Bob
    bob@rsmits.ca
    First Law of Laboratory Work: Hot glass looks exactly the same as cold glass.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,803
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Kompozer tries to open files instead of Firefox

    You may need to set the "html" mime-type to use FF in both KDE3's and KDE4's settings.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ladysmith, BC, Canada
    Posts
    324

    Default Re: Kompozer tries to open files instead of Firefox

    You may have a point. But I have no idea how to do that, since I'm not running KDE3 here, just the program KDEPIM 3.5.10. The computer uses KDE4.
    bob@rsmits.ca
    First Law of Laboratory Work: Hot glass looks exactly the same as cold glass.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: Kompozer tries to open files instead of Firefox

    On 10/26/2011 12:56 AM, robertsmits wrote:
    >
    > You may have a point. But I have no idea how to do that, since I'm not
    > running KDE3 here, just the program KDEPIM 3.5.10. The computer uses
    > KDE4.


    is there a /home/[yourID]/.kde3 ?

    or, find the Trinity Project folks and ask them where the config file
    for KDEPIM 3.5.10 lives in a 11.3 with KDE4 system...and how to set it
    the way you want it..

    --
    DD
    openSUSE®, the "German Automobiles" of operating systems

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ladysmith, BC, Canada
    Posts
    324

    Default Re: Kompozer tries to open files instead of Firefox

    [QUOTE=DenverD;2397451]On 10/26/2011 12:56 AM, robertsmits wrote:
    >
    > You may have a point. But I have no idea how to do that, since I'm not
    > running KDE3 here, just the program KDEPIM 3.5.10. The computer uses
    > KDE4.


    is there a /home/[yourID]/.kde3 ?

    Yes, there is but I've looked at all the config files and can't find one with any reference to Firefox or Kompozer


    or, find the Trinity Project folks and ask them where the config file
    for KDEPIM 3.5.10 lives in a 11.3 with KDE4 system...and how to set it
    the way you want it..

    OK I'll look for them. Thanks. Bob Smits
    bob@rsmits.ca
    First Law of Laboratory Work: Hot glass looks exactly the same as cold glass.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Kompozer tries to open files instead of Firefox

    Quote Originally Posted by robertsmits View Post
    You may have a point. But I have no idea how to do that, since I'm not running KDE3 here, just the program KDEPIM 3.5.10. The computer uses KDE4.
    Try this:

    * Type Alt+F2 - it should open a small text entry box somewhere on your screen (typically top or middle, depending on configuration)

    * In that text box, type "File Associations" (no quotes). As you start typing, one or two options should be offered. In my case, one says "File Associations: Configure file associations", and the other says "File Associations/KDE3: KDE3, Configure file associations".

    * Click on each result in turn, e.g., for the KDE4 configuration, a dialogue box will open where you select the relevant associations to change. Use the search box at the top to make your life easier: type in "html" and that will narrow the list down to only a few entries (expand the results list to see the full types).

    * Of those results, "text/html" and "application/xhtml+xml" are the ones of interest to you, most likely. Click on each of them in turn to bring up the list of candidate applications on the right hand side of the window. Increase or decrease the preference orders to taste using the up and down buttons.

    I hope this helps.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ladysmith, BC, Canada
    Posts
    324

    Default Re: Kompozer tries to open files instead of Firefox

    Quote Originally Posted by licehunter View Post
    Try this:

    * Type Alt+F2 - it should open a small text entry box somewhere on your screen (typically top or middle, depending on configuration)

    * In that text box, type "File Associations" (no quotes). As you start typing, one or two options should be offered. In my case, one says "File Associations: Configure file associations", and the other says "File Associations/KDE3: KDE3, Configure file associations".

    * Click on each result in turn, e.g., for the KDE4 configuration, a dialogue box will open where you select the relevant associations to change. Use the search box at the top to make your life easier: type in "html" and that will narrow the list down to only a few entries (expand the results list to see the full types).

    * Of those results, "text/html" and "application/xhtml+xml" are the ones of interest to you, most likely. Click on each of them in turn to bring up the list of candidate applications on the right hand side of the window. Increase or decrease the preference orders to taste using the up and down buttons.

    I hope this helps.
    No Change. The file associations window opens all right, and at the appropriate lines firefox is the top choice and kompozer is on the bottom, but when I go to kmail and click on a link, it STILL opens kompozer!

    Thanks, Bob
    bob@rsmits.ca
    First Law of Laboratory Work: Hot glass looks exactly the same as cold glass.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Kompozer tries to open files instead of Firefox

    Quote Originally Posted by robertsmits View Post
    No Change. The file associations window opens all right, and at the appropriate lines firefox is the top choice and kompozer is on the bottom, but when I go to kmail and click on a link, it STILL opens kompozer!
    How about temporarily removing kompozer then trying again and see what KMail is going to do about it

    I.e.:
    Code:
    su - # Become root
    zypper remove kompozer
    exit # Go back to your normal user
    kmail # Launch KMail
    # At this point, do exactly whay you had done last
    # time and it didn't work, e.g., click on a link on a
    # mail message in KMail.
    # Note what happens.
    # Close KMail.
    # Logout of your account altogether
    # Log back in
    su - # Root again
    zypper install kompozer
    exit
    kmail
    # Repeat previous steps, and see if the behaviour persists.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ladysmith, BC, Canada
    Posts
    324

    Talking Re: Kompozer tries to open files instead of Firefox

    Quote Originally Posted by licehunter View Post
    How about temporarily removing kompozer then trying again and see what KMail is going to do about it

    I.e.:
    Code:
    su - # Become root
    zypper remove kompozer
    exit # Go back to your normal user
    kmail # Launch KMail
    # At this point, do exactly whay you had done last
    # time and it didn't work, e.g., click on a link on a
    # mail message in KMail.
    # Note what happens.
    # Close KMail.
    # Logout of your account altogether
    # Log back in
    su - # Root again
    zypper install kompozer
    exit
    kmail
    # Repeat previous steps, and see if the behaviour persists.
    Well, I don't generall bother with zypper. If I uninstall kompozer, and I click on a link firefox starts normally. As soon as I reinstall kompozer, then the url opens up in kompozer.

    On the other hand, I have a spare laptop with only KDE3 installed, including kompozer and the problem does not exist. Opening a url by clicking on it whiler in kmail starts up Firefox.
    bob@rsmits.ca
    First Law of Laboratory Work: Hot glass looks exactly the same as cold glass.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ladysmith, BC, Canada
    Posts
    324

    Default Re: Kompozer tries to open files instead of Firefox

    I'm still not clear on why this occurs when I run KDEPIM 3.5.10 under KDE4, but I have found a good workaround - just install KDE3 and the problem goes away - and it feels faster and snappier than KDE4.
    bob@rsmits.ca
    First Law of Laboratory Work: Hot glass looks exactly the same as cold glass.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •