Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To realize network sharing with HP printer,but the result of printing is abnormal

Default To realize network sharing with HP printer,but the result of printing is abnormal

Release 11.3
    GNOME 2.30.0

The printer(HP-LaserJet-P2055d with driver hpijs3.10.2 ) is connected with one host computer in our office room,sharing with CUPS Server(IPP).I'm client.The problem is as following:
    every printing with additonal paper printing :"***Warining: GenericResourceDir doesn't point to a valid resource directory", and there is a line of messy code below each page. I'm gloomy for a long time, please help me out !
    Thanks !

Blog Entries

Default Re: To realize network sharing with HP printer,but the result of printing is abnormal

I've never seen this error reported previously. Nevertheless, a bit of googling led me to this bug report:

https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=633468

It's a bit cryptic (I only skim read it), but it did refer to the hpijs driver foomatic-rip-hplip filter. Here's an upstream HP bug report.

Anyway, a bit of left field thinking, I think you could side-step this issue by using the hplip driver:

HP Linux Imaging and Printing

Delete your existing printer config on the client machine, and reconfigure using

Code:
    su -c hp-setup
    Follow the prompts given. Hope this works for you.

Default Re: To realize network sharing with HP printer,but the result of printing is abnormal

firstly,thank you very much for your help.
    I follow your advice and try to install HP Linux Imaging and Printing,but encountered new problem.
    After restart pc,no devices found with "error: No devices found on bus: usb".
    I think my system need a libusb package,but after Commad Line "zypper in libusb",noting to do.
    So please tell me what I should do next?

Blog Entries

I follow your advice and try to install HP Linux Imaging and Printing,but encountered new problem.
    I'm not sure where you have got stuck. Did hplip install ok? Did you install the .run file from via the HP site, or did you install a RPM package via the standard openSUSE repos?
    Code:
    zypper in hplip
    Did you get as far as configuring via hp-setup? Was that when you encountered the error?

Running 'hp-check' can be useful to determine what might be failing, or missing etc
    If you installed via tarball or .run file, then
    Code:
    hp-check -c
    For RPM install, use
    Code:
    hp-check -r

Blog Entries

BTW, you'll get the error
    Code:
    Searching... (bus=usb, search=(None), desc=0)
    error: No devices found on bus: usb
    if you try to run 'hp-setup' as regular user, and you're not a member of the 'lp' group.

Assuming you ran it with root privileges (as I outlined previously), then this error would also occur if no usb printer was connected (as expected). Now, since you mentioned you have a network connected printer, you need to make you select 'Network/Ethernet/Wireless' option when hp-setup is started. You also need to make sure that the printer (and host machine) are connected obviously.

I installed .run file via HP site.
    Now ,after "hp-check -c " command ,"HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.11.10)
    Dependency/Version Check Utility ver. 14.3" come out .
    I think it's ok.But when Checking for CUPS,there is a warnin :/etc/cups/cupsd.conf file not found or not accessible.
    Then I follow "su -c hp-setup" command , select 'Network/Ethernet/Wireless' option, but my hp printer could not be found.
    Later,I used YaST2 and seted printer cups server(IPP),added a network printer.Pleasantly,the problem previously disappear. No warning page, no messy code.
    However,the nightmare isn't over.The word content is not printed correctly ,the printed text is a little close to upside margin ,to cause some line missed.Headache!

Blog Entries

Then I follow "su -c hp-setup" command , select 'Network/Ethernet/Wireless' option, but my hp printer could not be found.
    Yes, as explained previously, you need root privileges for hp-setup to configure your printer. There is an option to configure manually - 'Show Advanced Options' >> 'Manual Discovery'. There is an option to enter the IP address or network name as required. Anyway, it looks like the YaST tool has done the job for you.
    The word content is not printed correctly ,the printed text is a little close to upside margin ,to cause some line missed.Headache!
    What application were you printing from? What type of document? Was it a web page in firefox you were trying to print for example? Some applications, such as kwrite, allow the print margin to be set at print time.

FWIW, the ppd file for your printer is located in /etc/cups/ppd/ and can be tweaked if necessary to change the printing area, although I'm not sure that this is the issue you're reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Yes, as explained previously, you need root privileges for hp-setup to configure your printer. There is an option to configure manually - 'Show Advanced Options' >> 'Manual Discovery'. There is an option to enter the IP address or network name as required. Anyway, it looks like the YaST tool has done the job for you.
    Thanks for your hint,but it doesn't work yet.NO device found

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    What application were you printing from? What type of document? Was it a web page in firefox you were trying to print for example? Some applications, such as kwrite, allow the print margin to be set at print time.
    The application is Acrobat Reader and the document is pdf type.It is not web page ,but I also try.The problem is still there.
    I don't know how to tweak .ppd file too.

Blog Entries

If the YaST printer config worked for you, leave it at that.

Did you check out the printing options available within Acrobat Reader? (I don't currently have it installed, so I can't offer specific advice here). Try printing via one of the open source pdf apps (eg okular, kpdf, evince to name a few). This is almost certainly an application-specific issue, rather than a printer driver/configuration issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast