Thread: CD/DVD automounts but it does not appear on device notifier

Default CD/DVD automounts but it does not appear on device notifier

Hi!

Suddenly, I guess after some kind of auto update, device notifier has changed it's behaviour with DVD.

Now the DVD doesn't appear in device notifier: it says "no device"
    But the CD/DVD is automounted in /media/dvdram altough in /etc/fstab I have this line:

/dev/sr0 /media/dvdram auto noauto,ro,user,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0

I can see it from dolphin and i can umount or eject it, but if I eject the DVD the DVD tray is opened and closed again, so that I have to be very quick to get the CD out of it.

any ideas of what's happening

thank you and regards

Blog Entries

Smile Re: CD/DVD automounts but it does not appear on device notifier

There is no need for an entry like this in your fstab file so I would remove it and reboot:

Code:
    /dev/sr0        /media/dvdram   auto    noauto,ro,user,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
    Also, I would read my article on Optical Drive naming. If you have replaced your drive or oddity, this file might contain bogus entries:

Multimedia Optical Drive Naming (ie /dev/dvd & /dev/cdrom) Howto in opneSUSE

Based on what you say, it is hard to imagine an actual drive issue, but they do fail, fill up with dust and CD/DVD's can be defective or have fingerprints. We are creatures of habit and so we must make sure we are not doing the very same wrong thing every time we test.

If this does not help, you need to tell us a lot more about your setup...

openSUSE version and if 32 or 64 bit, Desktop being used GNOME or KDE and its version. Tell us about your computer. Its make and model, memory, disk space and more info on the exact CD/DVD player you have in question.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: CD/DVD automounts but it does not appear on device notifier

I had four devices in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules: a IDE DVD reader that got broken, a SATA DVD recorder I changed to another computer, a IDE DVD recorded I thought was broken and I replace some days ago and finaly mi new SATA DVD recorder I've just bought and installed.
    I've removed all but the last, but It continues doing the same thing.
    The recorder is fine (I've just bought it), and the problem is not new3 because of installing it but it appears with the IDE DVD recorder (I thought it was broken, so I bought the new one)
    I've removed any line from /etc/fstab relative to /dev/sr0, and now the DVDs are mounted automatically on /media/something and they appear in dolphin so I can unmount them, but they don't appear in the device notifier in the system tray
    I'm using opensuse 11.4 (updated from 11.3 updated from 11.2,.......... ) 64 bits. KDE update to the last release on the Opensuse repository (kdebase4-4.6.0-6.8.1.x86_64, kdelibs4-4.6.0-6.17.1.x86_64 ). The computer is an amd athlon IIx3, Mobo asus M4A77TD, 4GB ram, and the DVD recorder is an ASUS DRW-24B3ST (before that I had a LG IDE with same problem)

thank you

Blog Entries

Smile Re: CD/DVD automounts but it does not appear on device notifier

I had four devices in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules: a IDE DVD reader that got broken, a SATA DVD recorder I changed to another computer, a IDE DVD recorded I thought was broken and I replace some days ago and finaly mi new SATA DVD recorder I've just bought and installed.
    I've removed all but the last, but It continues doing the same thing.
    The recorder is fine (I've just bought it), and the problem is not new3 because of installing it but it appears with the IDE DVD recorder (I thought it was broken, so I bought the new one)
    I've removed any line from /etc/fstab relative to /dev/sr0, and now the DVDs are mounted automatically on /media/something and they appear in dolphin so I can unmount them, but they don't appear in the device notifier in the system tray
    I'm using opensuse 11.4 (updated from 11.3 updated from 11.2,.......... ) 64 bits. KDE update to the last release on the Opensuse repository (kdebase4-4.6.0-6.8.1.x86_64, kdelibs4-4.6.0-6.17.1.x86_64 ). The computer is an amd athlon IIx3, Mobo asus M4A77TD, 4GB ram, and the DVD recorder is an ASUS DRW-24B3ST (before that I had a LG IDE with same problem)

thank you
    So what you see is not normal, but it is very likely that upgrading the system such as you explain could create some oddities such as this. Often that is due to mixed versions of system applications not compiled to work together. Keep in mind that if you have a separate /home area, you can do a clean install and not lose your personnel settings. You must reinstall all software, but once installed, it will pick right up using its old settings. Icons, which may not work at first will start to work once you have reinstall the proper application. Because the problem you have is not severe, you can elect to live with it. Anyone that is trying to help fix the issue would suggest a clean install in the end though. Since openSUSE 12.1 is less than a month away, why not consider doing a clean install with the very latest product? And, you can even wait a couple of months so any lingering issues are fixed and the repositories refiled with your favorite stuff again by Christmas for sure. By the way, when you only have one installed Optical drive, it should be called cdrom, cdrw, dvd and dvdrw with rw's only there is it can write as well as read disks and no numbers on the end. Removing and switching drives can really confuse the system and you can even remove this configuration file as root, reboot and it will be recreated for you with the right stuff.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: CD/DVD automounts but it does not appear on device notifier

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    So what you see is not normal, but it is very likely that upgrading the system such as you explain could create some oddities such as this. Often that is due to mixed versions of system applications not compiled to work together. Keep in mind that if you have a separate /home area, you can do a clean install and not lose your personnel settings. You must reinstall all software, but once installed, it will pick right up using its old settings. Icons, which may not work at first will start to work once you have reinstall the proper application. Because the problem you have is not severe, you can elect to live with it. Anyone that is trying to help fix the issue would suggest a clean install in the end though. Since openSUSE 12.1 is less than a month away, why not consider doing a clean install with the very latest product? And, you can even wait a couple of months so any lingering issues are fixed and the repositories refiled with your favorite stuff again by Christmas for sure. By the way, when you only have one installed Optical drive, it should be called cdrom, cdrw, dvd and dvdrw with rw's only there is it can write as well as read disks and no numbers on the end. Removing and switching drives can really confuse the system and you can even remove this configuration file as root, reboot and it will be recreated for you with the right stuff.

Thank You,

It isn't a problem of upgrading, my system has benn working fine a long after the upgrade, that odditie begun some days ago.
    I've been testing and i have realized that it is not a problem of the system but a problem of "my" user, login with other user display the CD/DVD in the device notifier when I insert it.
    I have no idea where may be the configuration for that for each user

regards