Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: cant delete file

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    follow the photons from that red dot on your chest to its source.
    Posts
    55

    Default cant delete file

    right this is strange. I download a tarball, try to install it but it has too many holes that need to be filled to make it worth my time. So, naturally I say its not worth the bother, select the folder and move it to trash.

    I empty the trash, and its still there. I go to terminal and remove the folder rm -r .purple so its gone, but it is still in the trash. How do I get rid of it beyond waiting for 12.1?
    SPCBS Just ATFQ ..... just answer the Fine question.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: cant delete file

    On 10/12/2011 08:06 AM, China Jobs wrote:

    > it is still in the trash. How do I get rid of it beyond waiting for 12.1?


    did you download the tarball as root?
    or did you move it from the downloaded to spot to wherever you unpacked
    it as root?

    anyway, it sounds like you don't have permission to delete it...show us
    the output of:

    Code:
    ls -halR ~/.local/share/Trash/files
    or, if in that output you see it _is_ owned by root, just do this

    Code:
    sudo rm ~/.local/share/Trash/files/[file.name]
    give roots password when asked

    note: (not that you did for sure, but maybe) when processing a tar ball
    to compile a program it is unnecessary, unwise and unsecure to do any of
    the steps as root until you get to the last step "make
    install"....always do the unpacking, configure and make as yourself, a
    normal user...always.

    --
    DD
    Caveat
    openSUSE®, the "German Automobiles" of operating systems

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    10,951
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: cant delete file

    You can also try as CLI root "moving the file into oblivion" by not specifying a destination...

    HTH,
    Tony

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: cant delete file

    On 10/12/2011 04:36 PM, tsu2 wrote:
    >
    > You can also try as CLI root "moving the file into oblivion" by not
    > specifying a destination...


    in bash?

    denverd@linux-os114:~> su -
    Password:
    linux-os114:~ # cd /home/denverd
    linux-os114:/home/denverd # ls test*
    test.txt
    linux-os114:/home/denverd # mv test.txt
    mv: missing destination file operand after `test.txt'
    Try `mv --help' for more information.
    linux-os114:/home/denverd # ls test*
    test.txt
    linux-os114:/home/denverd # exit
    logout
    denverd@linux-os114:~>

    teach me, please

    --
    DD
    Caveat-Hardware-Software-
    openSUSE®, the "German Automobiles" of operating systems

  5. #5
    josephkk NNTP User

    Default Re: cant delete file

    On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 16:12:30 GMT, DenverD
    <DenverD@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >On 10/12/2011 04:36 PM, tsu2 wrote:
    >>
    >> You can also try as CLI root "moving the file into oblivion" by not
    >> specifying a destination...

    >
    >in bash?
    >
    >denverd@linux-os114:~> su -
    >Password:
    >linux-os114:~ # cd /home/denverd
    >linux-os114:/home/denverd # ls test*
    >test.txt
    >linux-os114:/home/denverd # mv test.txt
    >mv: missing destination file operand after `test.txt'
    >Try `mv --help' for more information.
    >linux-os114:/home/denverd # ls test*
    >test.txt
    >linux-os114:/home/denverd # exit
    >logout
    >denverd@linux-os114:~>
    >
    >teach me, please


    I suppose you could use /dev/nul as the destination.

    ?-)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: cant delete file

    On 10/18/2011 04:23 AM, josephkk wrote:
    > I suppose you could use /dev/nul as the destination.


    yes, i know how to become root and do that:

    denverd@linux-os114:~> su -
    Password:
    linux-os114:~ # cd /home/denverd
    linux-os114:/home/denverd # ls test*
    test.txt
    linux-os114:/home/denverd # mv test.txt /dev/nul
    linux-os114:/home/denverd # ls test*
    ls: cannot access test*: No such file or directory

    *but* that is not the same as the OP's "not specifying a
    destination"...which still does not work, here.

    --
    DD
    openSUSE®, the "German Automobiles" of operating systems

  7. #7
    josephkk NNTP User

    Default Re: cant delete file

    On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 07:03:58 GMT, DenverD
    <DenverD@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

    >On 10/18/2011 04:23 AM, josephkk wrote:
    >> I suppose you could use /dev/nul as the destination.

    >
    >yes, i know how to become root and do that:
    >
    >denverd@linux-os114:~> su -
    >Password:
    >linux-os114:~ # cd /home/denverd
    >linux-os114:/home/denverd # ls test*
    >test.txt
    >linux-os114:/home/denverd # mv test.txt /dev/nul
    >linux-os114:/home/denverd # ls test*
    >ls: cannot access test*: No such file or directory
    >
    >*but* that is not the same as the OP's "not specifying a
    >destination"...which still does not work, here.


    On my systems as well. Not sure what OP has going on.

    ?-)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    10,951
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: cant delete file

    Been a long time since I visted this topic...

    For awhile, I couldn't remember how and why this "move the file to oblivion" was done and why. I think now I remember it was the method used to recover a system that had been rooted by an intruder who installs a file system that can't be read properly by the regularly running OS. When this happens, the OS can't read and/or manage files that have been placed on the alien file system, so short of a complete pave and re-build, there can be ways to bypass the normal safeguards of a file system when deleting the alien files.

    Not exactly the same thing, I do also remember that "sending into oblivion" is a common method when purging mail stores of unwanted messages, but that's another thing completely different than what we're discussing here, of course.

    Tony

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    10,951
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: cant delete file

    To the OP,

    I'm speculating that the problem file has been deleted, but there is some kind of orphaned pointers still in your system.

    Recommend doing an fsck as well as maybe looking at whether your file has any kind of size.

    Tony

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •