Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: openSUSE 11.4 often crashes

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Guatemala
    Posts
    4

    Post openSUSE 11.4 often crashes

    Hi, i'm using openSUSE for some time, but sometimes when I toggle a video from or to full screen, my session crashes and I'm sent to the login screen. It happened a while ago while just opening a nautilus window.
    Another problem I have, is that sometimes when I open windows, they just appear as a white screen, I can move them, and it appears that the controls like buttons and other things are there, but I can't see them, I have a shot of this last error:

    The first error is more important to me, because is really annoying to login often. Tell me if there's a log that I have to upload here or something like that, I'm using nvidia graphics driver, in a gnome environment. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,728
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: openSUSE 11.4 often crashes

    Are you using desktop effects?
    You might try switching effects off. And test it and report back.

    Also, open a terminal and post the result of the following in code tags

    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: openSUSE 11.4 often crashes

    On 10/11/2011 06:36 AM, kevlink wrote:
    > Another problem I have, is that sometimes when I open windows, they
    > just appear as a white screen, I can move them, and it appears that the
    > controls like buttons and other things are there, but I can't see them,
    > I have a shot of this last error:
    > [image:http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/5...tallazo2h.png]


    i think Carl is on the right track for your crash problem, so about the
    minor issue above, what is the desktop client you are using to view the
    jpeg? that "Despedida Practicantes" is that an application on your
    machine...or maybe the name of a directory on your machine being viewed
    with _what_ image viewer? or is that a web site you are viewing in a
    browser??

    if you view that same image (DSC00452.jpg) in a different image viewing
    application (like maybe GIMP) do you get the same white screen results?

    --
    DD
    Caveat
    openSUSE®, the "German Automobiles" of operating systems

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,650
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: openSUSE 11.4 often crashes

    I've seen this with the nouveau driver on a laptop with NVIDIA gpu. Let's wait for a reply on Caf's message

    @DenverD: Take a look at the pic, it's called GNOME, the file manager is Nautilus .
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: openSUSE 11.4 often crashes

    On 10/11/2011 01:16 PM, Knurpht wrote:

    > @DenverD: Take a look at the pic, it's called GNOME, the file manager
    > is Nautilus .


    hehe...i looked at the pic, and i could read his text where he said he
    used GNOME, but i didn't recognize Nautilus and apparently unlike either
    my Dolphin or Konqueror, the app's name is not in the title bar...which
    i find odd..

    SO, @kevlink: if you have any application other than Nautilus to look at
    that jpeg, do that and tell us what you see..(when you reply with the
    info for caf..

    --
    DD
    openSUSE®, the "German Automobiles" of operating systems

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: openSUSE 11.4 often crashes

    On 2011-10-11 14:24, DenverD wrote:
    > On 10/11/2011 01:16 PM, Knurpht wrote:
    >
    >> @DenverD: Take a look at the pic, it's called GNOME, the file manager
    >> is Nautilus .

    >
    > hehe...i looked at the pic, and i could read his text where he said he used
    > GNOME, but i didn't recognize Nautilus and apparently unlike either my
    > Dolphin or Konqueror, the app's name is not in the title bar...which i find
    > odd..


    Normal in KDE :-P

    It is usually the directory name.


    > SO, @kevlink: if you have any application other than Nautilus to look at
    > that jpeg, do that and tell us what you see..(when you reply with the info
    > for caf..


    The app is, I think, "eye of gnome".

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: openSUSE 11.4 often crashes

    On 10/11/2011 04:03 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

    >> unlike either my
    >> Dolphin or Konqueror, the app's name is not in the title bar...which i find
    >> odd..

    >
    > Normal in KDE :-P
    >
    > It is usually the directory name.


    no sir, in KDE 4.6.0 it is normally the name of the application, see
    http://paste.opensuse.org/22417004

    --
    DD
    openSUSE®, the "German Automobiles" of operating systems

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: openSUSE 11.4 often crashes

    On 2011-10-11 16:37, DenverD wrote:
    > On 10/11/2011 04:03 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:



    >> It is usually the directory name.

    >
    > no sir, in KDE 4.6.0 it is normally the name of the application, see
    > http://paste.opensuse.org/22417004


    But we are talking of what is normal in gnome >:-)
    Ie, what the OP has.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: openSUSE 11.4 often crashes

    On 10/12/2011 12:03 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
    > But we are talking of what is normal in gnome>:-)


    ah! so gnome _is_ perverse

    --
    DD
    openSUSE®, the "German Automobiles" of operating systems

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,500

    Default Re: openSUSE 11.4 often crashes

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    On 10/12/2011 12:03 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
    > But we are talking of what is normal in gnome>:-)


    ah! so gnome _is_ perverse
    It's rather short-sighted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •