Thread: Solved: libreoffice not playing video

Default Solved: libreoffice not playing video

Hi everybody,

I had a problem with libreoffice impress that has been driving me crazy - everytime I tried to embed a video file it would not play back but only show up as a speaker symbol in the slide selection page, or as a white box during playback. There is little to none postings with a solution, though a number of people seem to be experiencing the same problem. After some digging around I finally found the solution:

you need to make sure that gstreamer-ffmpeg (in my case gstreamer-0_10-ffmpeg) is installed - et voila, it works.

I hope this helps some of you out there!

PS: for the search engines out there, here is also a German translation:

Ich hatte ein Problem mit libreoffice Impress, das einfach kein Video abspielen wollte. Jedes Mal, wenn ich ein Video einfügen wollte, zeigte es nur ein Lautsprechersymbol an (in der Folienvorschau) bzw. ein weisses Rechteck im Präsentationsmodus. Da ich wenig hilfreiches finden konnte, aber einige Leute das gleiche Problem zu haben scheinen, wollte ich Euch meine Lösung posten:

Ihr müsst sicher gehen, dass gstreamer-ffmpeg (in meinem Fall gstreamer-0_10-ffmpeg) installiert ist, dann läufts.

Default Re: Solved: libreoffice not playing video

Thanks for the tip. Not all KDE systems end up with gstreamer installed, and it seems not to be a libreoffice dependency.

Doesn't work here. I have gstreamer-0_10-ffmpeg installed, and still get the speaker symbol/white box, no video.

The embedded media might require a codec gstreamer isn't able to decode, usually something weird from M$ or such.

Quote Originally Posted by brunomcl View Post
    The embedded media might require a codec gstreamer isn't able to decode, usually something weird from M$ or such.
    The videos play fine in Libre Office's media player, and I assume that must be using gstreamer, too.

So what is a codec that gstreamer can play for sure? I can convert one of my files and see if it works.

If all the required libraries as mentioned previously are installed, your problem, as suggested, could also be a gstreamer codec or format compatibility problem. gstreamer plays lots of codecs just fine. I tested xvid and h264; and aac and mp3. All work. I pulled my hair out on this until I discovered why some (for example) .mov movies played and some .mov (with same video and audio codecs) didn't. The problem was in pixel compatibility. The movie clip that would not play had "yuv422p" pixel format. Why it had this format, I do not know. When I used ffmpeg to covert it to yuv420p it played just fine. Here's what I did: Using a .dv clip I made editing with Cinelerra I applied the following conversion: >ffmpeg inputfile.dv -c:v libx264 -preset slow -crf 22 -pix_fmt yuv420p outputfile.mov Another voila', it worked. And I wasn't going crazy! Good luck to all.