What's the major differences in what i've done here?

Hi guys,

A question about something I’ve just applied on the system. First the back story of why i did it first. I’ve installed Opensuse 11.3 Gnome on my desktop which is now dual booting with Windows XP, and i’ve been playing around with it, using opensuse as my main OS, installing stuff, finding out what does what etc. After the first restart after install from the live cd and installing updates a vmware-user crash error appeared on boot up, causing no other foreseeable issues other than this minor inconvenience.

So now to what I’ve done. After some research I found what could be a solution to this error and this what i did. I went into software manager, searched vmware, vmware-guest-kmp-default was selected and installed there already, so i checked vmware-guest-kmp-desktop and applied the change. It installed a desktop kernel, asked me to restart to activate this and boom! it worked, no questions asked apart from why i have two opensuse 11.3’s on my boot loader along with their fail safes and my windows xp except one has (desktop) next to it and this is the one i don’t go into by default.

So on i went, happy as larry until as part of my learning i decided to check what it is exactly i have done and this is what i hope someone in here can tell me the difference between the two packages. From what i can see at the moment, the vmware-guest-kmp-desktop kernel uses less memory than the vmware-guest-kmp-default kernel. Everything is fine, i just want to learn about what i’ve done in more detail and what advantages and dis-advantages each have, i’ve already tried googling and can;t see a clear explanation, hence the long story lol.

Any info/links/opinions are much appreciated,

Steven

On 2011-10-07 14:56, Stevie C wrote:
>
> Hi guys,
>
> A question about something I’ve just applied on the system. First the
> back story of why i did it first. I’ve installed Opensuse 11.3 Gnome on
> my desktop which is now dual booting with Windows XP, and i’ve been
> playing around with it, using opensuse as my main OS, installing stuff,
> finding out what does what etc. After the first restart after install
> from the live cd and installing updates a vmware-user crash error
> appeared on boot up, causing no other foreseeable issues other than this
> minor inconvenience.

Why are you using vmware-user? Is your install a guest inside vmware? If
not, remove that package.

You say you are double booting with XP, so there is a conflict with what
you say.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Hi thanks for the reply,

Why are you using vmware-user? Is your install a guest inside vmware? If
not, remove that package.

I didn’t actually install vmware myself, all I did was install from the 11.3 live cd and that was what was installed by default. I’ve actually often wondered this myself. All my plan was to do, is dual boot opensuse and xp, both as hosts and that is what i though had happened untill i got the vmware user error on boot and read into it. As for removing it, if i uninstall vmware-guest-kmp-default and vmware-guest-kmp-desktop then the next one it highlights in the repo is vmware-guest-kmp-pae and this cannot be unchecked to remove all. Is this what i want to do to make the opensuse completely a host?

Steven

If you want dual boot there’s no use for the vmware stuff.

What you’ve done is this:
selected vmware…desktop for install, this depends on kernel-desktop, so that gets installed as well. This gives you 2 available kernels to run openSUSE. Each with a vmware-kmp (kernel module package) installed that you won’t need.

What to do, to get one single kernel and get rid of vmware stuff:

• Yast - Software Manager - Search with only name option checked for “vmware”
  • Right click in right window, All packages in this list - Remove
    this will tell you that other things are going to be removed as well, maybe also the kernel-desktop. If not, select kernel-desktop for removal as well Check the list and accept if you trust it, or copy the screen here and we’ll help you through.

The extra GRUB entries will be removed during this process as well, so you’ll see the 1 openSUSE, Failsafe and your Windows.

Another way to stop vmware services:
Yast - System - Runlevel editor. Enter it, go to vmware and disable the service.

Hi thanks again,

I’ve went into the system runlevel and there is vmtoolsd which is enabled but i see there is also a vboxadd service enabled aswell which in the description says VirtualBox Linux Additions kernel modules, will i disable both or just vmware?

Steven

Here’s a screenie of it to clarify lol!

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3500/screenshotsystemservice.png

Or am i better of uninstalling it through SM?

On 2011-10-07 16:36, Stevie C wrote:
>
> Hi thanks again,
>
> I’ve went into the system runlevel and there is vmtoolsd which is
> enabled but i see there is also a vboxadd service enabled aswell which
> in the description says VirtualBox Linux Additions kernel modules, will
> i disable both or just vmware?

Both.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Hi,

Please, next time you start a thread, try to be more specific in the subject. The question “What’s the major differences in what i’ve done here?” doesn’t mean anything to anyone in this forum and in Internet (Google) in general, and it won’t catch the attention of users who might know the answer or who are looking for a solution to a similar problem.

Ok so i disabled both those services and the other option is still there in the boot screen, is it maybe better if i did the uninstall routine? If so i’m posting a new screenie of my software manager searching for vmware. Is it just the kernel-desktop i’m wanting to remove or all of these? its just i noticed the xorg-x11 video driver and wondered is that needed?
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2917/screenshotsoftwaremanag.png

Thanks

Steven

Sure no problem, it was more just a question than an error so i never really thought of people googling it lol. I’d change it if it were possible because it’s turned out to be quite useful.

On 2011-10-07 17:16, Stevie C wrote:
>
> Ok so i disabled both those services and the other option is still there
> in the boot screen, is it maybe better if i did the uninstall routine?
> If so i’m posting a new screenie of my software manager searching for
> vmware. Is it just the kernel-desktop i’m wanting to remove or all of
> these? its just i noticed the xorg-x11 video driver and wondered is that
> needed?

> [image:
> http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/2917/screenshotsoftwaremanag.png]

File removed due to violation of terms of service or user request. :-?

You have to remove only vmware rpms, or vbox, not the rest.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.