Cannot un-install knetworkmanagerapplet through Yast

To prevent you to loose your time. This is a very old installation with still KDE3.5. But it what I have and currently need. So forgive me if I hope to still find folks out there who remember 11.1 and KDE3.
I have a problem trying to substitute the kde networkmanager applet with the gnome one. I did install the gnome one, but when I tried to uninstall the kde applet yast goes to 5% (deleting the application) and then …hooks. There is no apparent error message. When I tried to un-install in init 1 as root from the command line with yast, it turns eternally, eventually comes back after long time to the normal screen…and the applet proudly is still there. :open_mouth:
I am puzzled. Never had such a behavior.
Is there any possibility to un-install an application “by hand” without yast? Is there any problem of yast that could cause this behavior?
Thank you in advance for any help on the issue.

I do not know the answer, but I think the name of the package(s) you try to uninstall should be an integral part of your problem description.

Hi,

stakanov wrote:

> Is there any possibility to un-install an application “by hand” without
> yast? Is there any problem of yast that could cause this behavior?
> Thank you in advance for any help on the issue.

simply use ‘rpm’ or ‘zypper’.

rpm -e <packagename>

zypper del <packagename>

might also give you an error message.

arkascha

Am speculating that you didn’t change network management from Network Manager to IFUP/IFDOWN before attempting to uninstall.

HtH,
Tony

Well, NetworkManager-kde

Instead I did (as I expected this to be a necessary action). Still when it comes to NetworkManager-kde applet the whole process stops. I will now try with the rpm command. Will see what this gives.

On 10/05/2011 04:36 PM, stakanov wrote:
>
> Instead I did (as I expected this to be a necessary action). Still when
> it comes to NetworkManager-kde applet the whole process stops. I will
> now try with the rpm command. Will see what this gives.

maybe:
-uninstall the gnome version
-uninstall the kde version
-install the gnome version

(at any rate, i would have guessed to switch to ifup, then uninstall
the kde version, then install the gnome…but, that may not have been a
good guess–actually, i have no idea why you can’t uninstall with yast
or zypper…)

DD
Caveat
openSUSE®, the “German Automobiles” of operating systems

Ok, I tried with zypper from the command line. It gives me following error message:

linux:~ # zypper rm NetworkManager-kde
Retrieving repository 'desktop' metadata [done]
Loading repository data...
Warning: Repository 'Opensuse Official Update discontinued' appears to outdated. Consider using a different mirror or server.
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

The following package is going to be REMOVED:
  NetworkManager-kde

After the operation, 2.0 M will be freed.
Continue? [YES/no]: YES
Removing NetworkManager-kde-0.7r848570-23.2.1 [0%]terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  std::bad_alloc

The good thing is, I have a feedback from the error. The bad thing is…I have no clue what it might mean :shame: and what I could do to find a remedy. Every suggestion and explanation highly appreciated. Thank you.

Hm, I can not understandd all of it. It seems that a bug is where it stops. But maybe when we can do something about the Warning, we will not land at the bug.

When I try to interprete the warning, it seems that you can not reach the Update repo, or that it is not up to date.
You could either post

zypper lr -d

or go into YaST, remove the Update rpo (or just disable it) and add it anew. Maybe that helps.

So, I interestingly found a solution. Thanks to everybody who help me and thanks particularly to arkascha who suggested the rpm command (which at the end pointed me to the solution).
While the zypper error was cryptic, the

rpm -e

Gave a loop error about an "unknown RSA signature, skipping package…"
And THAT did ring a big bell.
I am using the repositories of “discontinued” and the “evergreen 11.1”. I did until recently not use the “packman evergreen essentials” because of the RSA signature problem of rpm (not being able in the older rpm version of rpm to address the longer RSA keys of the new packman repositories. I updated the files recently by the use of “smart” - which allows to skip the key control - and then deactivated the repository again. Apparently one of the files installed linked to the networkmanager applet of kde3 and therefore during the control of dependencies “rpm” went into the loop described.
I did as:

su -
smart --gui

and uninstalled the whole show (referred to the packages of networkmanager only. I did not touch the Packman files. No need). Then I did the install normally with yast again, only gnome. I reactivated networkmanager in the system settings. And …"voilà!.. the thing works perfectly as I hoped.
So everybody who is using evergreen 11.1 and made use of smart to install the packages of “Packman Evergreen Essentials” should be aware s(he) might ran into this problem.
Greetings, solved and thank you.

And a last update. I have now the gnome applet running. For who is still using 11.1 with KDE3.5: the change from kde-networkmanager applet to the gnome one is worth it, exactly like in KDE4 the advantages are outstanding in performance and functionality. The only thing which is not recognized is the gobi2000 that can be used without problems through KPPP as a simple modem (very stable by the way). So if you facing lack of wireless emitters and unstable connects: the change is worth it.