Unbale to shutdown or restart in KDE

Hi,

every 1-2 week the issue occurs on my workstation when I’m unable to Shutdown or Restart. I click Start Menu -> Leave -> Shutdown - and nothing happens. I mean, menu closes as a confirm that the click happened, but confirmation to shutdown does not pop up and the shutdown process does not initiate. The same if I click shutdown icon in the taskbar.

Sleep and Switch user are working.

Here is the picture showing what icons exactly I’m clicking:

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/4612/73339514.1a/0_602ac_a35d88d3_S.jpg](http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/4612/73339514.1a/0_602ac_a35d88d3_orig.jpg)

The only workaround yet is to log in into Terminal as root and execute command reboot.

My questions are:

1. what could cause this issue?
  2. what are possible ways to investigate it?
  3. what could be a workaround to restart the machine without root privileges?

Thank you

openSUSE 11.3
Workstation AMD chipset based, onboard ATI graphics

Have you checked the System setings? There is an option in KDE4.6 to manage this and AFAIK there was something in the earlier versions.

All settings are default and I did not change anything
The freshly booted system has no problems with shutdown. The issue seems to appear after I suspend to RAM few times

Hello, this happens to me after every KDE update. After the updates are applied i run sudo /sbin/reboot/ to restart the PC. After this manual reboot if i use the options from the kde menu it reboots/shuts down as normal.

Could anybody provide me a way to restart computer without root permissions?

found this pretty nice tool: https://gist.github.com/988104

#!/bin/sh

# Suspend, hibernate, restart or shutdown the computer without sudo!
# by Chris Wong
# Released to the public domain.

NAME=$0

usage() {
    echo "Usage: $NAME suspend|hibernate|restart|shutdown"
    exit 42 # :D
}

if  $# -ne 1 ] ; then
usage
else
THINGY_UPOWER="dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.UPower /org/freedesktop/UPower"
    THINGY_CONSOLEKIT="dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager"
    case $1 in
        suspend)
            $THINGY_UPOWER org.freedesktop.UPower.Suspend
        ;;
        hibernate)
            $THINGY_UPOWER org.freedesktop.UPower.Hibernate
        ;;
        restart)
            $THINGY_CONSOLEKIT org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Restart
        ;;
        shutdown)
            $THINGY_CONSOLEKIT org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Stop
        ;;
        *)
            usage
        ;;
    esac
fi

ok, i downloaded this tool (github), what should i do with it now?

You should save this text file as, for example, kderestart.sh. Then make it executable, for example chmod 777 kderestart.sh. And now run it from command line, for example ./kderestart.sh restart. This will restart the computer

On 2011-09-29 20:16, tosiara wrote:
>
> Could anybody provide me a way to restart computer without root
> permissions?

Try log-out of the session first.

If that fails too, then press ctrl-alt-backspace, twice. This will kill the
graphic session and return you to the login screen. There there is a button
to restart or shutdown.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

robin_listas,
as I have written in the first post - Log off does not work, only Sleep and Switch user works.
But you are right, as a workaround I can use CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE twise, CTRL+ALT+F1 and then CTRL+ALT+DEL, ALT+SysRq+R+E+I+S+U+B
I was looking for a KDE command that would allow me to restart the system gracefully and I found it

Also would like to inform everybody that after upgrading to 11.4 the initial issue does not occur anymore