Are using KDE 4.7 & have extra launchers for dolphin & Fx in Panel? here's a fix!

If you have something like this:
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/7531/panelshot.png](http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/710/panelshot.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
But you don’t like those 2 extra little icons or want them is for you!
1.open dolphin click the wrench to the upper right or click view in the toolbar
2.check the Show Hidden Files
3.find the .kde4 folder open it
4.find then open share
5.look for the config folder
6.open that folder look for the text file plasma-desktop-appletsrc
7.open that text file & look for these lines:
browser=preferred://browser, , ,\s
filemanager=preferred://filemanager, , ,\s
8. Delete those 2 lines
9.Logout or Reboot they’ll be gone when you come back

panel options => panel settings, remove task manager and add it again is a simple way to do the same. :wink:

thanks for that

1. Right-click on the unwanted icon
  2. Select “Remove this icon”

I personally used the methods stated in posts 2 & 4 as soon as I rebooted for me they were back. I’m not offended I just put this way as an alternative. To those whose system allows them to it simply be thankful that you have such systems.

Actually I like this “feature”. The icons are smaller and disappear when the program is in use.

In fact I’d like to go the other way and add more, how would I add the same for Thunderbird by adding another line to that plasma-desktop-appletsrc file in the same vain:

browser=preferred://browser, , ,\s
filemanager=preferred://filemanager, , ,\s
“another line for mail”

If anyone knows that would be appreciated.

I don’t have my KDE desktop in front of me right now, but off the top of my head you need to right-click the top of the window when Thunderburd (or whatever you want to add to the task manager) is running; then go to Advanced and then check the button that says something like “Keep this in Task manager when not running”.
The reverse should work for removing icons from the task manager’s control.

OK, to add another application to the task manager:

1. start the application
  2. right-click the application’s tab in the task manager. Advanced -> then check “Show a launcher for XXXXX when not running”
    unchecking this should remove the icon from the task manager

Thank you that was so easy. I like this feature it uses less real estate !

Thanks for that info!!! :wink:

this opportunity is very important so the icon disappeared when activated. But unfortunately developers don’t think enough what applications must go here as default and add here web browser and file manager. But its nonsense to set here applications that used many instances simultaneously. Often users start many instances of web browsers and file managers especially. So more reasonably would be place the applications with single instance for example email, kate, skype etc. , but never web browser, file manage, konsole etc. All last applications more suitable to place in Launcher applet witch may start applications many times.