Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: subpixel hinting in freetype2

Default Re: subpixel hinting in freetype2

Font rendering quality is both subjective and objective. Subjective in that one can get used to almost anything, and Linux users especially have for too long put up with poor font rendering. Objective in that there is such a thing as good rendering and hinting, even if tastes vary. I always install the subpixel rendering first before anything else in a new version of openSUSE because my eyes bleed with the default rendering, and like the OP I was surprised that I had to do it again with 12.1 now that there's no more licensing issues. There's even more reason now that LibreOffice can take advantage of it: in LO's recent versions, font rendering is perfect if the subpixel hack is installed, whereas OpenOffice and earlier LO versions would mutilate the most beautiful font even if it looked good in all other applications.
    Günter

Desk: Leap 42.2, KDE 5, Intel i3, 8Gb, Kingston 64Gb SSD, 2 SATA.
    Lap: Thinkpad T430, Tumbleweed, Intel i5, 8Gb, SSD.

Hi, I'm not sure if this post is still active.

But I packaged a freetype2 in home:opensuse_zh for Chinese users.

It not only has sub-pixel rendering, but also has infinality support forked from Fedora. infinality.net

Chinese users' feedback is super good, so maybe it will helps you.

install it, and in konsole run
    infctl setstyle osx

available style in /etc/fonts/infinality/conf.src

It will be interesting whether we can get some feedback from opensuse dev's about this issue - maybe they know why we do not get advanced subpixel hinting. It's not a technical problem as Ubuntu ships their distros with a not crippled package of freetype2. I believe it's a license issue - fear of patent holders but this is my opinion. For every release someone has to compile and package/install it to get a decent desktop look.

Quote Originally Posted by FurciferPardalis View Post
    It will be interesting whether we can get some feedback from opensuse dev's about this issue - maybe they know why we do not get advanced subpixel hinting. It's not a technical problem as Ubuntu ships their distros with a not crippled package of freetype2. I believe it's a license issue - fear of patent holders but this is my opinion. For every release someone has to compile and package/install it to get a decent desktop look.
    Ubuntu is registered on a Island nobody knows if there's copyright law there. they even ship propietary/commercial applications in a store.

openSUSE even collaborates with Microsoft.

Now you know why.

Am 27.01.2012 15:16, schrieb MargueriteSu:
    > openSUSE even collaborates with Microsoft.
    >

openSUSE is not even a legal entity and as such not being a legal entity
    it does not collaborate with MS.
    You mix here Novell and openSUSE.

--
    PC: oS 11.4 (dual boot 12.1) 64 bit | Intel Core i7-2600@3.40GHz | KDE
    4.6.0 | GeForce GT 420 | 16GB Ram
    Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.8.0 |
    nVidia ION | 3GB Ram

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MargueriteSu View Post
    openSUSE even collaborates with Microsoft.
    Not true. There's an agreement between Novell and Microsoft, not openSUSE and Microsoft. openSUSE is a community based distro, Novell (Attachmate these days) provides infrastructure and hosting. But technically openSUSE is independent. This not as a defence, it's just incorrect, like all the rumours around it. As Ubuntu does nothing they should legally not do.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Not true. There's an agreement between Novell and Microsoft, not openSUSE and Microsoft. openSUSE is a community based distro, Novell (Attachmate these days) provides infrastructure and hosting. But technically openSUSE is independent. This not as a defence, it's just incorrect, like all the rumours around it. As Ubuntu does nothing they should legally not do.
    Now that opensuse is independent, why can't we use subpixel hinting to make our desktop looks better. Even ubuntu and debian use those technologies, we have no need to worry about that. And openSUSE is known as the most beautiful Linux desktop. We should make it more nice.

It's very likely that we will see this being improved over the next two versions.
    My Linux Box
    openSUSE 42.3 - Plasma 5.8.7
    Tumbleweed Plasma 5.15.4
    ASUS P5Q | Intel Quad 6600 @3.02 GHz | 8GB G.SKILL RAM | Nvidia GeForce 750 Ti

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123