Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thunderbird update

Default Thunderbird update

Hi all

I just tried to install lightning and it complained that I wasn't running the right/latest version of TB so I added the Mozilla repository, ran a check and nothing. So I checked out the Mozilla site and they have a version 6 for download. Why does Suse not want to update from the current version 3?

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Thunderbird update

As far as I know, opensuse uses the version available at release time, and updates that as needed for security and similar problems.

Checking my install of 12.1 M5 (an early pre-release version), I see that it has thunderbird 6.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by rafiqc View Post
    added the Mozilla repository, ran a check and nothing.
    What do you mean?

TB-6.0.2 is in the
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_11.4/
    repository.

Are you using YaST Software Management (Install/Remove Software) to select the version you want?

I suggest you solve your Lightning issue first while running TB 3.
    Lightning gets downloaded from the Web- - Mozilla and other locations.
    If you are running 64 bit OS, you need a 64 Bit plug-in.

After you have it running on TB3.x, when you upgrade to TB6 the same plugin works.
    Many of the plug-in finder tools are not fully ready for TB6....

Hi all

I just tried to install lightning and it complained that I wasn't running the right/latest version of TB so I added the Mozilla repository, ran a check and nothing. So I checked out the Mozilla site and they have a version 6 for download. Why does Suse not want to update from the current version 3?

Thanks.
    Because the current version of Thunderbird 3.1.14 is still being supported and may be for awhile. The current Lightning that works with that version of TB should be Lightning 1.0b2.

Calendar Project - Lightning 1.0 beta2 Release Notes
    Desktop: AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3 Ghz | 4 GB RAM | GeForce GT 630

That would be why, I have Lightning 1 b5

I still can't get it to upgrade my Thunderbird though ... I go into Yast, Software Management and search for Thunderbird, righ click, update and then it does something (checking the repositories presumably) and then I still have the same version of Thunderbird.

Am I doing something wrong?

This does not make sense to me :/

rafiq-laptop:/home/rafiq # zypper refresh
    Repository 'Updates for openSUSE 11.4 11.4-0' is up to date.
    Repository 'mozilla' is up to date.
    Repository 'packman' is up to date.
    Repository 'openSUSE-11.4-Non-Oss' is up to date.
    Repository 'openSUSE-11.4-Oss' is up to date.
    All repositories have been refreshed.
    rafiq-laptop:/home/rafiq # zypper update
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

The following package updates will NOT be installed:
    gstreamer-0_10 gstreamer-0_10-plugin-gnomevfs gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base
    gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good-lang k3b kaffeine libfreebl3
    libgstapp-0_10-0 libgstinterfaces-0_10-0 libgstreamer-0_10-0 libsoftokn3 libtag-extras1
    libwavpack1 libxine1 libxine1-gnome-vfs libxine1-pulse linphone mjpegtools MozillaFirefox
    MozillaFirefox-branding-openSUSE MozillaFirefox-translations-common mozilla-kde4-integration
    mozilla-nss mozilla-nss-certs MozillaThunderbird MozillaThunderbird-translations-common
    python-numpy taglib

Nothing to do.
    rafiq-laptop:/home/rafiq #

zypper will not change the source of a package unless you tell it explicitly which repository and version to use.

Easiest to use YaST and select the version that you want as I hinted in post #3.
    YaST Software Management (Install/Remove Software)
    Search for Thunderbird
    If you are using ncurses YaST <alt>+v,<alt>+v, or with the GUI YaST2 click on the Versions" tab
    Select the version that you want

Mozilla add-ins, for Firefox and Thunderbird, are **NOT** in repositories.

You can search them out by choosing Tools-GetAdd-ons and searching using the built in tools in Thunderbird.

You can also search from Firefox, looking here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/ .

I can confirm that Lightning 1.0b2 runs in Thunderbird 3.1.14 on SuSE 11.4_64/KDE4.7.1 and it also ran on FF3.x versions prior to upgrade.

Thunderbird 3.1.14 is the current version in the default 11.4 repositories.
    Thunderbird 6.0.2 is in the Mozilla 11.4 repository, runs Lightning 1.0b5 (on a different machine)

BE AWARE that size matters - 32bit or 64bit OS.
    For a while, the Firefox search/download mechanism had problems identifying which one you needed and always downloaded the 32bit version.
    I believe this has been fixed.
    If you are running 64bit and your Lightning 1.0b2 won't install, then you probably have the 32bit one.

Use search engine in Firefox to find "Lightning 1.0b2 64bit", download it, then manually install in Thunderbird.
    And also be aware that when Firefox sees the *.xpi file, it could try to install it (.xpi extension same for Firefox and TB); save the file, go back to Thunderbird, and manually load it.

If you are still having problems, remember to report what OS (11.x) and architecture(x32, x64), what DM (KDE, Gnome) and what Thunderbird version you have loaded.

That would be why, I have Lightning 1 b5

I still can't get it to upgrade my Thunderbird though ... I go into Yast, Software Management and search for Thunderbird, righ click, update and then it does something (checking the repositories presumably) and then I still have the same version of Thunderbird.

Am I doing something wrong?
    Ok, just for you I installed Thunderbird 3.1.14 onto my system.

Then I went back to YaST > Software Management and searched for Thunderbird.

Right clicked and selected Upgrade, clicked Apply, a Summary of changes dialog box popped up, allowing me to review the changes to perform.

After reviewing the changes I decided I do want to upgrade to TB 6.0.2, so I clicked on Apply, and the software installed.

I now have TB 6.0.2, which replaced TB 3.1.14. I'm off to uninstall now, since I prefer SeaMonkey for email.

HTH
    Desktop: AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3 Ghz | 4 GB RAM | GeForce GT 630

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast