Thread: LXDE PCMan (Pacman) File Manger does not boot/open BUG?

Question LXDE PCMan (Pacman) File Manger does not boot/open BUG?

Hi,

I have been using OpenSuse 11.4 LXDE version for about 6-8 months. All worked fine. I noticed a few days ago that my file manager would not start from the tool-bar menu. I went to the kick of menu to find "File Manager" under system tools and it would not start from there either. I created a new folder on the desktop and tried opening it - it would not open. I can only assume its some sort of a bug and most likely occurred because of the recent computer update (I get regular notifications to update my system so I do it). Please help.

---Stan

Default Re: LXDE PCMan (Pacman) File Manger does not boot/open BUG?

HI,

I can't really help you since I don't use LXDE.

However, if you know the name of your filemanager, could you try to start it in a terminal?

This will probably tell you the error that is being generated....

HTH

Lenwolf

Try
    pcmanfm
    in a console and paste any messages.

On 9/8/2011 11:56 AM, john hudson wrote:
    >
    > Try
    > pcmanfm
    > in a console and paste any messages.
    >
    >

pcman is buggy. It crashes at one point if you execute some stuff. Did
    not bother to recreate the problem, but it happens.

--
    Euer Komputerfriek Joerg
    using LXDE on 11.4 x64 and happy with a cup of real hot coffee....
    http://mzl.la/o4n9Yw

Thanks for all ideas so far. The problem still persists and there is not solution yet. I went into the Terminal, logged in as a root and typed a command pcmanfm

This is what I get back

stan@linux-44rz:~> su
    Password:
    linux-44rz:/home/stan # pcmanfm

(pcmanfm:5534): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot connect to the session bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(pcmanfm:5534): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot connect to the session bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(pcmanfm:5534): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: instance of invalid non-instantiatable type `(null)'

(pcmanfm:5534): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(pcmanfm:5534): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: instance of invalid non-instantiatable type `(null)'

(pcmanfm:5534): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

Segmentation fault
    linux-44rz:/home/stan #

This suggests that the problem lies in a pcmanfm dependency. One possibility would be to force a reinstall of pcmanfm - unless another forum member has a better idea.

same problem here after building pcmanfm with instructions given here: PCManFM build and setup guide - LXDE.org.

The icons show up but they do not open (unless I choose open with xfe-a different file manager). I can only start pcmanfm using root and have the same problems.

Regards

//I'm using Debian squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by urssa View Post
    same problem here after building pcmanfm with instructions given here: PCManFM build and setup guide - LXDE.org.

The icons show up but they do not open (unless I choose open with xfe-a different file manager). I can only start pcmanfm using root and have the same problems.

Regards

//I'm using Debian squeeze
    Never mind. this was just retarded of me. I installed the lxde-core from the repository which depended on pcmanfm. Of course the pcmanfm package was installed but then I built it from git (because I wanted to move the icons around). I did make clean uninstall and it works now.

Sorry for spamming

On 2011-09-10 07:36, savezov wrote:

> stan@linux-44rz:~> su
    > Password:
    > linux-44rz:/home/stan # pcmanfm

Why are you using it as root in your own home? If you must use it as root,
    do it right. Use "su -".

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)