Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Printer configuration Canon MX700

Blog Entries

Default Re: Printer configuration Canon MX700

Comparing the online Linux support offered by Brother and Canon, I find that the latter is outdated and pale in comparison with the former. No competition.
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 09-Sep-2011 at 23:49.

Thumbs up Re: Printer configuration Canon MX700 (SOLVED)

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Historically, they've been notorious for their lack of support with Linux. If you look at the many of their current models, only a select few seem to offer Linux drivers. IMHO, they would be better to work with the open source community to provide the support where necessary.

Specifically though, my beef is that many recent Canon network-attached models use a proprietary network (USB over IP BJNP) protocol, which had to be reverse-engineered to work with Linux. One would have thought that they could have assisted the Linux community with even a binary backend for CUPS.

The requirements you site for Brother are similar to HP and Epson for example, and I don't consider them unreasonable. I've never had a problem with installing Brother drivers for a number of models over the last few years (work environment and home). FWIW, I have just purchased a mono laser all-in-one (DCP-7055) which works flawlessly.

EVERYTHING WORK WELL, I REALLY GEVE YOU MANY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. FIXED THIS PESTERING PROBLEM I WANT TRY TO PERSUADE MY DAUGHTER TO LEAVE VISTA AND PASS DEFINITIVELY TO LINUX.

MANY THANKS AGAIN

Blog Entries

Default Re: Printer configuration Canon MX700 (SOLVED)

You're welcome PV63! I'm glad you're up and running now.

This may also be helpful to others who come searching for the same problem with Canon network printing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12