Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox 6 Cookies

Default Firefox 6 Cookies

Is anyone else getting problems with cookies being lost on Firefox 6? The recent upgrade from 5 to 6 went smoothly but after starting version 6, almost all cookies have been lost. There doesn't seem any obvious pattern to the loss. I played with the cookie preference settings, looked in the aboutermissions options, and nothing has helped. Reluctantly, I downgraded to version 5, restored the cookies.sqlite file from my backup taken before the upgrade, and all is fine again.

General noise on the internet suggests it's affecting a number of people, and not just on Linux distros.

Probably not an openSUSE issue, but does anyone have any comments?

Many thanks.

Doug

Although probably not relevant, I'm running openSUSE 11.4 64-bit with Gnome 3. I like it very much.

Default Re: Firefox 6 Cookies

I haven't run into this with FF6 on oS 11.3. Did you try restoring your cookies from the backup before the downgrade?

Thanks for the thought. Yes, I firstly restored the cookies onto the version 6 firefox. On starting, most of them went again. Then I downgraded to version 5, restored cookies again, and all was well.

Blog Entries

I'm just curious why you care about preserving cookies across updates. They are a per session thing and not the same as your passwords or anything like that. If you start from an empty cookie file, the worst that will happen is that you may be asked to login again on sites that have previously "remembered you". I am thinking there may be no guarantee that 6 will use the same storage format as 5 in the cookies.sqlite file.

Blog Entries

I have had some rather unusual behaviour - none of which I can explain. But there is certainly something different from FF4 and 5.
    I seemingly completely lost some cookies and yet others were OK
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Thanks for the comments.

I agree that session cookies have a useful role to play, and I'm not aware of any particular issues with them after the upgrade. However, I also believe that enduring cookies are very important. Some trivial examples are that they retain information about places of interest for weather sites (such as the Met Office in the UK), your own location for news sites (such as the BBC in the UK), and membership ID for various sites (different from logon ID and password).

Quite honestly, it is a real nuisance that cookies are not retained in Firefox 6. If it is an issue related to the format of the sqlite file, then a) I'm surprised it wasn't picked up before release and b) shouldn't the upgrade either perform the conversion or at least warn about it? Just to delete them seems completely wrong.

Doug

On 08/29/2011 07:26 PM, dougallen wrote:
    >
    > I'm surprised it wasn't picked up before release and b)
    > shouldn't the upgrade either perform the conversion or at least warn
    > about it?

assuming the problem found is in the moz developed code: shouldn't
    someone in this thread be hopping over to the Mozilla forum and seeing
    whats what? or finding the bug reporting apparatus there and . . .

or, on the outside chance that the openSUSE devs mucked up the cookie
    monster, shouldn't someone log a bug with bugzilla:
    http://tinyurl.com/nzhq7j

--
    DD
    openSUSE®, the "German Engineered Automobile" of operating systems!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dougallen View Post
    Is anyone else getting problems with cookies being lost on Firefox 6?
    Thus far, no problems here. The update to ff6 came through this morning. After updating, I restarted firefox to get the new version. Then I restarted it a second time. Come to think of it, I shut it down when I went to work, and then restarted a third time.

I seem to still be logged into a number of sites (forums, blogs, etc). I had to login again to this forum, since it does not support persistent cookies. And I expect that I will have to login again to one other forum because that one forces me out when it notices a firefox version change or an IP change. I am still logged in everywhere else that I expect to be. The opensuse firefox extension is reported as incompatible, but thus far that's the only "problem" that I have seen.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dougallen View Post
    I agree that session cookies have a useful role to play, and I'm not aware of any particular issues with them after the upgrade. However, I also believe that enduring cookies are very important. Some trivial examples are that they retain information about places of interest for weather sites (such as the Met Office in the UK), your own location for news sites (such as the BBC in the UK), and membership ID for various sites (different from logon ID and password).
    Remember that the bulk of the information is server side. The server can make use of a whole bunch of data to decide how to behave and cookies are only one source of information. Other data include browser name, browser version, IP address, and with the advent of mobile devices, your geolocation. Certainly your browser version would have changed during the upgrade, maybe the IP if you rebooted and you are connected to broadband directly. So you'd have to be sure that the server behaviour is invariant with these changes before blaming cookie loss for changed behaviour.

Thank you all very much. There are some interesting comments that certainly give plenty of food for thought. In particular, I hadn't thought about the implications for the server. Although previous version changes haven't affected cookie operation, the change to version 6 is quite extensive and so could have more consequences. Maybe I should try exporting the cookies from version 5 with an add-on that translates them to text files, and then importing them into version 6 with the corresponding import add-on. Also, not a particularly great solution, but I should try creating the cookies again site by site on a clean installation of version 6 and see whether they are retained across repeated restarts. I'll try these combinations, hopefully later today.

In response to one of the other comments, my purpose in raising the issue on this forum was to see whether I had done something stupid, missed something obvious to others, hit some combination of configurations on my system, or whether it was likely to be a firefox issue. I wanted to do this before logging a "bug" for the hard pressed mozilla developers to look at. They have enough to do without people like me giving them unnecessary extra work, I imagine!

Many thanks again for all the input so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast