Yast2 Partitioner crashes on use

11.4-KDE4.6.5 32bit install,perhaps it is the normal way now, but it was new to me:

Opened Yast2 Partitioner module, and attempted to set up an extended partition on space unallocated of sdb. Went thru the steps to create and hit finish, immediately i get a kdesu authorization dialog and yast2 Partitioner disappears/crashes.

entry in var/log/messages:

Aug 22 09:08:25 blkdragon polkitd(authority=local): Operator of unix-session:/org/freedesktopConsoleKit/Session3 FAILED to authenticate to gain authorization for action org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount-system-internal for system-bus-name::1.38 [kdeinit4: kded4 [kdeinit]] (owned by unix-user:blkdragon)

so, does this mean I have to set up udisks/polkit rules for using the Partitioner? Yast2 was not considered in the default polkit rules for the install?

11.4-KDE4.6.5 32bit install,perhaps it is the normal way now, but it was new to me:

Opened Yast2 Partitioner module, and attempted to set up an extended partition on space unallocated of sdb. Went thru the steps to create and hit finish, immediately i get a kdesu authorization dialog and yast2 Partitioner disappears/crashes.

entry in var/log/messages:

Aug 22 09:08:25 blkdragon polkitd(authority=local): Operator of unix-session:/org/freedesktopConsoleKit/Session3 FAILED to authenticate to gain authorization for action org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount-system-internal for system-bus-name::1.38 [kdeinit4: kded4 [kdeinit]] (owned by unix-user:blkdragon)

so, does this mean I have to set up udisks/polkit rules for using the Partitioner? Yast2 was not considered in the default polkit rules for the install?

j_xavier, I must ask how you are starting up YaST? Many people do not know the actual file is called yast2. The GUI YaST is started with the following command:

/usr/bin/xdg-su -c /sbin/yast2

Now I have used the Partitioner from YaST many times without any problems, but you must have root authority to do so. A little more explanation is required here.

Thank You,

yes, yast2 was started correctly and now that i’ve had time this evening to examine the situation, here is my take on what happened,

upon creating the extended partition on sdb, yast2 Partitioner finished and closed… the extended partition was created (unformated), i had mistakenly thought that polkit was trying to prevent yast2 Partitioner from executing. Starting the Partitioner again, it now showed up in the listing and was able to be formatted to ext4… which prompted another “auth” dialog from udisks/polkit… which to me indicates that as soon as it is recognized by udisks, it is trying to be mounted… not quite sure why that is the default response, my inexperience with udisks made me ask before i got into an unknown situation.

so, in the end everything was accomplished without mishap, i’ve got some catching up to do to use udisks effectively… currently it sporatically stops ejecting optical drives properly and i haven’t a clue to the cause…

thanks for your assistance.