[LXDE] Screensaver Settings crashes/doesn't work

Hi, when attempting to open screensaver settings in LXDE, the window pops up briefly for a second and then closes.

Anyway I can fix this? I would post a debug log if I knew how to open this app from within terminal

On 08/21/2011 02:56 PM, potatomash wrote:
>
> Hi, when attempting to open screensaver settings in LXDE, the window
> pops up briefly for a second and then closes.
>
> Anyway I can fix this? I would post a debug log if I knew how to open
> this app from within terminal
>
>

I turned screensaver off. Do you really need that? If you have an lcd
you don’t need necessarily a screensaver.
But the times i had it on, it worked.

Euer Komputerfriek Joerg
using LXDE on 11.4 x64 and happy with a cup of real hot coffee…
http://mzl.la/o4n9Yw

Anyone who can offer actual help? /rolleyes

I do not get this behaviour.

You can contact the LXDE packager for openSUSE direct if you go to the IRC channel freenode #opensuse-lxde and wait for user anubisg1 to log in. Or simply send them a pm on IRC from the SUSEhelp bot via:

!tell anubisg1 Hi anubisg1 - I am having problem with LXDE screen saver. Forum thread http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/applications/464375-lxde-screensaver-settings-crashes-doesnt-work.html refers

and next time anubisg1 logs on he will get that message. So try that.

Also, your reason for not raising a bug report (can’t run in a terminal :? ) is a rather poor reason IMHO.

You completely misunderstood what I meant. You know how you can open programs within console, for example by typing firefox? If the program doesn’t work, you will get the reason in the console in the form of an error/description. That’s what I meant by debug (wrong word used probably).

As for actually raising a bug report… what do you suppose I should put there exactly without knowing the reason for the screensaver settings to not launch?

“my screensaver settings doesn’t work… bug” that’s not helpful to anybody and in fact is completely useless and would promptly be removed. It would make sense to raise a bug once I/we know the reason as to why it doesn’t work to begin with and then the devs can work on fixing it with that information in mind

No I did not misunderstand.

Raise the bug report.

Raise the bug report !! The packager (who will be anubisg1) who answer the bug report will tell you how to proceed from there to get more information.

You can volunteer in the bug report to run more if someone provides you the appropriate command.

Doing what you are doing will go no where IMHO. If we knew (on the forum) we would provide. CLEARLY this is not trivial.

Edit - one thing you could look for is an error message in ‘dmesg’ when it crashes. If you find something there include it also in the bug report.