No Power/Energy Profiles in System Settings

hello all,
can someone help me fix my power management issue. It appears my profiles are gone, and thus i have got no way in changing settings in the ‘Desktop Configuration’ (Systems Settings)

so, when I go to

app starter → Configure Desktop → Power Mgmt

there are NO profiles under ‘global settings’ or ‘power profiles’

anyone has got an idea what’s cooking here …

thanks, theo

So I use a desktop and the only one there for me is called Performance, but you can create a new one if you like (A little DOC file with a + sign on it). Here are some other things to look at for CPU power and speed:

For YaST CPU Speed:

YaST Power Management - Control Your CPU Energy Usage How To & FAQ - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

For setting CPU speed at the terminal prompt:

C.F.U. - CPU Frequency Utilitiy - Version 1.10 - For use with the cpufrequtils package - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

KDE does not set or change the CPU speed anymore from these profiles so you need to look at these other utils.

Thank You,

i did set the power management in yast to a profile i believe works for me, the problem, though, is that default of the desktop configuration overrides yast … i can uncheck the options, but next time i go back in the checks are back … theo

i did set the power management in yast to a profile i believe works  for me, the problem, though, is that default of the desktop  configuration overrides yast ... i can uncheck the options, but next  time i go back in the checks are back ... theo                 

So you say that in the Profile window there is no default name and you can not create a new one?

KDE 4.6 menu / Personnel Settings / Hardware Group / Power Management / Power Profile (on left) / Select or add new profile. Once created or modified , make your selections and hit the apply button on the bottom right.

Thank You,

exactly there are absolutely no power profiles in personal settings … i wished i could post a screen shot, but the forum tells me, i don’t have permission … theo

> exactly there are absolutely no power profiles in personal settings …

what did you do with them?

that is, they didn’t sneak out one night while you were asleep! (or did
they?)

have you been deleting stuff? uninstalling stuff? what???

i know your 11.4 with KDE didn’t start out that way, did it?
if so then you had a bad install, if not see line one above…

use yast to create a new test users; log out and back in as that test
user…do you, as the new test user now have power profiles in personal
settings?

DD
openSUSE®, the “German Engineered Automobile” of operating systems!

I use the following site for images:

Fast, Free Image Hosting - ImageBam

Sign up for a free account. Once you upload an image, there are a couple of links provided and I use the bbcode for that looks like this:

http://thumbnails54.imagebam.com/14609/97a416146087277.jpg](http://www.imagebam.com/image/97a416146087277)

Thank You,

besides the weekly ‘zypper patch’ and ‘zypper up’ i have not made any changes that could affect the power management, i think … and i seem to remember that i had this issues ever since install … otherwize it seems to be a clean distro … theo

curious … i did create another user, and there the profiles are present … so … how can i fix this … theo

It appears that your power settings go into the file ~/.kde4/share/config/powerdevil2profilesrc. I guess you could start by copying this file between the two users, or just create a new user name you want to use and abandon the old one.

Thank You,

On 08/21/2011 11:26 PM, jdmcdaniel3 wrote:
>
> It appears that your power settings go into the file
> ~/.kde4/share/config/powerdevil2profilesrc.

i guess James is correct, and if you copy that file from the new users
home to your home all should be super again…

should be able to do that with the File Manager - Superuser Mode (found
in the menu system Application > System > Filemanager)

i can only guess that that file somehow got damaged or removed…how i
do not know, maybe a faulty install…mystery…maybe it did sneak away
one night while you were dreaming! :slight_smile:

DD
openSUSE®, the “German Engineered Automobile” of operating systems!

so … did a distro upgrade to 12.1 ms3, problem still persists … there are no energy profiles in the system settings … and when i want to upload a screen shot, i get this from the forum:
topitz, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else’s post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    i tried to create new profiles, import profiles, but nothing works … the field in the energy settings just remains blank …
    looks like, i’ve got to go back to making a new clean install … anyone knows how to fix this, so that i don’t have to install from scratch? … i am with suse since 9.0, and this is the first time i ran into this issue … theo

so … did a distro upgrade to 12.1 ms3, problem still persists … there are no energy profiles in the system settings … and when i want to upload a screen shot, i get this from the forum:
topitz, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else’s post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    i tried to create new profiles, import profiles, but nothing works … the field in the energy settings just remains blank …
    looks like, i’ve got to go back to making a new clean install … anyone knows how to fix this, so that i don’t have to install from scratch? … i am with suse since 9.0, and this is the first time i ran into this issue … theo

Based on your previous comments that creating a new user did not have the problem meant it was a problem with your default user and not something wrong with all of openSUSE. The worst that would have happened is you start using a different user name OR you create a new user (as you had done), then remove your old user (that did not work, after a backup of important data) and then go back and recreate your old user name again (restoring your backed up data). It would have been less trouble that reinstalling openSUSE and deleting your /home folder anyway. Upgrading to openSUSE 12.1 as you saw was not the solution either. I don’t know, but I would most likely backup anything important in your old user self and reinstall openSUSE 11.4 and reformat the /home area, thus starting over.

Thank You,

fixed it … logged in as root … deleted user … deleted corresponding kdecache in tmp dir … rebooted … created user … rebooted and profiles were back … thanks everyone … i think i used a combination of all your advice …theo