Thread: Compiz 9.5 news 2 :)

Default Compiz 9.5 news 2 :)

suse 11.4, kde 4.7, compiz 9.5 (and cairo-dock).

Well, first of all I must say that all my installed software works 100% for my needs. It did take many years of patience but today I can say: great OS, the big bugs are seldom and rapidly resolved. The distribution offers me more possibilities as I could take advantage from. Opensuse looks more creative as innovative, the high desktop integration astonishes me and Linux wouldn't be the same without Novell: as example just think to Apparmor or Compiz.

The integration between kde 4.7 and compiz: still improved. Perhaps some applets could still freeze the desktop, I didn't check so much, I use cairo-dock as advantageous replacement, but all basic applets do work. The same concerning Compiz.
    Issues:
    - In order to configure the desktop I need to switch to kwin.
    - Some problems with Compiz by autostart, but I have a lot of autostarting services and I also added a little check-script which can start compiz.

COMPIZ:
    They don't have so much time for kde, they work deeply with Ubuntu-gnome (no Mutter, but now Oma is coming...).
    They claim they got from Microsoft aereo and from Apple quartz: they seam to really work on Compiz for Windows and Mac. As opensuse user, at this point I can set my hopes in the interoperability . Here the link if you don't believe me:
    A dark new future Compiz | be careful, he might break your display

A good wiki for Compiz:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Compiz_Fusion

COMPIZ COMPETITORS:
    They are many other window managers around, here a statistic evaluation with Compiz being the worse of all:
    blackbox vs compiz vs e17 vs enlightenment vs fluxbox vs lxde vs mutter vs openbox vs unity vs windowmaker vs wmaker

If you want openbox with effects, try xcompmgr.

Here the link with a nice script testing if your installation meets the compiz requirements:
    http://blogage.de/files/9124/download
    Laptop: MSI 60 2PC | OpenSUSE 13.1 (x86_64) | KDE Current| Compiz 8.8 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU 3.2GHz | GTX850M | 8GB RAM

Default Re: Compiz 9.5 news 2 :)

On 08/21/2011 03:26 AM, Capodastro wrote:
    >
    > 08.21.2011
    > suse 11.4, kde 4.7, compiz 9.5 (and cairo-dock).
    >

> COMPIZ:
    > They don't have so much time for kde, they work deeply with
    > Ubuntu-gnome (no Mutter, but now Oma is coming...).
    > They claim they got from Microsoft aereo and from Apple quartz: they
    > seam to really work on Compiz for Windows and Mac. As opensuse user, at
    > this point I can set my hopes in the interoperability . Here the link
    > if you don't believe me:
    > 'A dark new future Compiz | be careful, he might break your display'
    > (http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2011/...future-compiz/)

That posting was from April 1, 2011.

--
    Euer Komputerfriek Joerg
    using LXDE on 11.4 x64 and happy with a cup of real hot coffee....
    http://mzl.la/o4n9Yw

Halo Komputerfriek Joerg,
    You are right, but I discovered the information 3 weeks ago, then I decided to wait until the next kde upgrade to make sure that it still works.
    Laptop: MSI 60 2PC | OpenSUSE 13.1 (x86_64) | KDE Current| Compiz 8.8 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU 3.2GHz | GTX850M | 8GB RAM

It's just a joke

Is there any point in using Compiz with KDE if KWin offers similar functionality?
    Desktop: Intel Q8300@3,3Ghz, 4GB RAM, Foxconn P35A, Sapphire HD5670, OpenSUSE x64
    Server: Via C3@1.4Ghz, 768MB RAM, 8GB Microdrive + OpenSuSE x86
    and other boxes running Windoze

Quote Originally Posted by sobrus View Post

It's just a joke

Is there any point in using Compiz with KDE if KWin offers similar functionality?
    You know, on 1 April an article with a such subject was published as joke. This time I found this other article on the official compiz page, under 'news'.: the author looks sincerely excited. We will see...

The answer to your question is 'in my case yes'.
    - My own gesture habits.
    - A specific functionality, for example I can zoom a video to full screen (with some little addition from my own...)
    - Everybody has the own taste: personally I find all that kde effects quite minimalistic and ordinary.

- The problem is in my bed education:
    stealth I and II
    stage magic
    close up magic
    chess psychology
    politics local
    politics general
    instauration of a cultural clima.

bye