Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: delete files on data partition slow because Trash is located on home partion

  1. #1

    Default delete files on data partition slow because Trash is located on home partion

    KDE 4.6 - opensuse 11.4.

    I have a separate ext4 partition which contains all my data (music, movies, etc). When I delete files from this partition it is very slow because it copies files from my data partition to the Trash folder in my home partition. How can I avoid this? Can't the trash be configured so that it uses a trash folder in each partition instead of copying files to another partition (which is slow).

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    3,441

    Default Re: delete files on data partition slow because Trash is located on home partion

    If you use Shift-Del you are offered the option to delete without moving to trash. Depends on how much risk you can cope with.

  3. #3

    Default Re: delete files on data partition slow because Trash is located on home partion

    Thanks for the tip. Is there also an actual solution, not just a bypass?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,729
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: delete files on data partition slow because Trash is located on home partion

    Enable 'Delete' in the context menu also avoids trash.
    When you send to trash you have not deleted the file. It's a different process to 'Delete'. That's how it is. And the problem you are experiencing is exacerbated when you are working on different partitions and or HD's
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,376

    Default Re: delete files on data partition slow because Trash is located on home partion

    If you want to move files but aren't sure you want to delete them yet, why don't you create a temp directory in your data partition called "TRASH" or something appropriate, and move your files there until you decide to delete them? It's an extra step but it will be faster than using the default trash.

  6. #6

    Default Re: delete files on data partition slow because Trash is located on home partion

    Quote Originally Posted by suskewiet View Post
    KDE 4.6 - opensuse 11.4.

    I have a separate ext4 partition which contains all my data (music, movies, etc). When I delete files from this partition it is very slow because it copies files from my data partition to the Trash folder in my home partition. How can I avoid this? Can't the trash be configured so that it uses a trash folder in each partition instead of copying files to another partition (which is slow).
    I am also using KDE 4.6/openSUSE 11.4, and I have two separate ext4 data partitions, besides my home partition, and on my system /data1 and /data2 each have their own trash folder called .Trash-1000. The trash folder for my home partition is ~/.local/share/Trash. My desktop widget gives me access to all three; the trashcan settings dialog lists the three partitions and allows me to set different maximum sizes for each. I didn't do anything (that I'm aware of) to make that happen; I thought it was the default.

  7. #7

    Default Re: delete files on data partition slow because Trash is located on home partion

    Quote Originally Posted by dimesio View Post
    I am also using KDE 4.6/openSUSE 11.4, and I have two separate ext4 data partitions, besides my home partition, and on my system /data1 and /data2 each have their own trash folder called .Trash-1000. The trash folder for my home partition is ~/.local/share/Trash. My desktop widget gives me access to all three; the trashcan settings dialog lists the three partitions and allows me to set different maximum sizes for each. I didn't do anything (that I'm aware of) to make that happen; I thought it was the default.
    This is exactly what I want! Can someone describe how to set it up like this? It's not a default since it doesn't work like that on my system...

  8. #8

    Default Re: delete files on data partition slow because Trash is located on home partion

    More specific: there is a .Trash-1000 folder on my data partition, but the KDE-Trash widget doesn't seem to pick it up. It only shows my home partition...

  9. #9

    Unhappy Re: delete files on data partition slow because Trash is located on home partion

    Found a link on the net describing the same problem on ubuntu:

    Change KDE Trash Default Location • KDE Community Forums

    Seems that there is no problem with removable media, just with partitions on the hdd. This is also what I'm experiencing. Does someone know if Opensuse is also configured to use this (very inefficient) trash setting? Can it be changed?

  10. #10

    Default Re: delete files on data partition slow because Trash is located on home partion

    Quote Originally Posted by suskewiet View Post
    Seems that there is no problem with removable media, just with partitions on the hdd. This is also what I'm experiencing. Does someone know if Opensuse is also configured to use this (very inefficient) trash setting? Can it be changed?
    My two data partitions with .Trash-1000 folders that work the way you want are not on removable media; they are on the same physical drive, an internal 1TB SATA drive, as my home and root partitions. However, my two data partitions are user-mountable, and my user is the owner of them. Maybe one or both of those things makes KDE consider them "removable"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •