Thread: 11.4 Magic SysRq key code 176? and that means?

Default 11.4 Magic SysRq key code 176? and that means?

just curious, in the past the selection in yast2 System Editor (System>Kernel>Enable SysRq) had a yes/no type of choice.... and as i recall, by default it was off and had to be enabled if you desired.

the default install value if 176 resides there on my most recent install of 11.4, and try as i might, i'm not able to find any explanation of what that really means. Yes/no seems to be still accepted, and i've noticed some definitions of other numerical values...... but 176 is still a mystery.

anyone have a link or a thumbnail description?

Default Re: 11.4 Magic SysRq key code 176? and that means?

Hello j_xavier,

Quote Originally Posted by j_xavier
    just curious, in the past the selection in yast2 System Editor (System>Kernel>Enable SysRq) had a yes/no type of choice.... and as i recall, by default it was off and had to be enabled if you desired.

the default install value if 176 resides there on my most recent install of 11.4, and try as i might, i'm not able to find any explanation of what that really means. Yes/no seems to be still accepted, and i've noticed some definitions of other numerical values...... but 176 is still a mystery.

anyone have a link or a thumbnail description?
    Here you can find some information about the value:
    Magic SysRq key - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So the value 176 would mean that the following are allowed:
    • reboot/poweroff
    • remount read-only
    • sync command
    Good luck!
    Where did I put my coffee cup?
    dir -R /home/* | grep "coffee cup"

Default Re: 11.4 Magic SysRq key code 176? and that means?

thanks for the explanation, i was not thinking along those lines (the sum).... silly me.

i'd love to hear the logic behind eliminating half of REISUB, but i suppose it makes sense depending on the particular scenario.