Wine really works with thousands of windows programs?

Hello,
After having read the wild claims by Wine website that their App (Wine) runs thousands of Windows programs I have tried to run my Windows programs with dismal failure. The programs, various types including games ie Wolfenstein Enemy Territory and apps like FXCM trading station II just to name a couple, install but do not run. When going to WineHQ for further information I can see that these errors have been logged sometime ago and no fix is available for them. I do not have any expertise so my efforts are futile in trying to understand how to get a Windows program to work. I understand if they cannot get games and apps to work but when they loudly claim to have such success I had expected a much better result from Wine than I have seen in 12 months of trying periodically.

If anyone can assist me with those to programs above and perhaps offer a little education as to how I may be able to solve further Windows programs failures on Wine so that i can use Wine as they claim. I would like to dump windows but who really can when It has such a large impact in the world around us. If Linux can solve the software issues from Windows to Linux or perhaps Apps like Wine then we can truly have another Computer OS for the general and Commercial market.

The Packman repository has Playonlinux, which is Wine but seeks to make things a little easier. Maybe you are more lucky with that?

Not all games are working on WINE as of yet (especially the new ones) however, I noticed your trying to run Wolfenstein Enemy Territory via wine any reason why you are not using the Linux native version?

you can find it at this link Download Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2.60b for Linux - Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is a Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter. - Softpedia

Secondly for apps there is a tool called WINE tricks that makes installing them easyer http://en.opensuse.org/Wine#winetricks

That claim is based on WineHQ AppDB statistics. The AppDB, as of this moment, has 10368 entries. A search for platinum-rated applications, which according to user reports work perfectly out-of-the box, turns up 3021 entries, and a search for gold-rated ones, which according to user reports work perfectly with some tweaking, turns up another 2699. However, if you search for apps rated garbage (according to user reports don’t work at all), the number is 3428. So while it is true that thousands work, it is also true that thousands don’t, and any given user’s experience with Wine is going to depend on exactly what apps they are trying to run.

There is no “one size fits all” answer; the tweaks that may be needed are specific to each app. One piece of general advice I can give you for directx games is that you need a newish nvidia card running the proprietary driver. Anything else will have problems, often to the point of being unusable. Beyond that, check the AppDB for tips, and if you don’t find any, ask for help on the Wine user’s forum.

I’m not a gamer so maybe I’m missing the point of this thread, but I’ve never understood the attractions of Wine. In my early Linux days, I dual-booted to retain access to my Windows apps but now I’m simply running XP and W7 VMs in Virtualbox. Are VM graphics too slow for games?

The point is to not have to buy Windows.

The point is to not have to buy Windows. I have better things to spend my money on.

Good point, except I didn’t know anybody actually bought Windows. I got mine “bundled” with machines I bought (now I know that doesn’t mean it’s for “free”, it’s just that it’s pretty difficult to get around).

Personally, I started building my own desktop systems about 8 years ago. I did buy a laptop about 3 years ago, and yes, it had Vista on it, but there was no install disk, just a restore partition. There is no way to use that to install Windows in a VM. My impression is that that’s how Windows comes on most consumer systems these days.

I do happen to have a copy of XP provided by an employer, and I do have it installed in VMPlayer for those rare occasions when I need to use something that doesn’t work in Wine. My system is fast enough that, once loaded, the performance in a VM is acceptable. But why should I wait for all of Windows to boot in a VM just to open a Powerpoint when I can do it directly with Powerpoint in Wine?

Why would a person want to run Wolfenstein in wine when it runs naively in Linux? lol!

I had been running thtagame natively years and years ago. In fact it is so easy to find that it makes me wonder why people do the things they do

Files - Planet Wolfenstein

Enemy Territory Linux Download, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory Demos

Download Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2.60b for Linux - Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is a Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter. - Softpedia

On 08/14/2011 07:56 AM, brucecadieux wrote:
>
> Why would a person want to run Wolfenstein in wine when it runs naively
> in Linux? lol!
>
> I had been running thtagame natively years and years ago. In fact it is
> so easy to find that it makes me wonder why people do the things they
> do
>
> ‘Files - Planet Wolfenstein’
> (http://www.planetwolfenstein.com/files/files.shtml)
>
> ‘Enemy Territory Linux Download, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory Demos’
> (http://tinyurl.com/2fay7f)
>
> ‘Download Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2.60b for Linux - Wolfenstein:
> Enemy Territory is a Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter. -
> Softpedia’ (http://tinyurl.com/3a4aho)
>
>

Well not everything runs in Wine. Period.
Latest example i know, as far as games goes, is Battlefield Bad Company 2.
There is to much ‘secret’ stuff that Wine can’t provide. Older games
will run as will older applications.
Newer stuff might not run.

Euer Komputerfriek Joerg
using LXDE on 11.4 x64 and happy with a cup of real hot coffee…

On 08/14/2011 03:26 PM, dimesio wrote:
> But why should I wait for
> all of Windows to boot in a VM just to open a Powerpoint when I can do
> it directly with Powerpoint in Wine?

why should you wait for Powerpoint in WINE when LibreOffice opens
Powerpoint just fine?

(and, i guess faster…but, i don’t know i don’t have a copy of PP and
don’t have wine installed…but, of course you are free to use PP if
you wish, in WINE, in a VM or in Windows on bare metal…your choice!)

DD Software
openSUSE®, the “German Engineered Automobile” of operating systems!

I knew someone would say that. The short answer is that while Impress may open Powerpoint files, it certainly doesn’t do it “just fine,” as the placement of text and graphics is often screwed up, and embedded video will not play.

The longer answer is that I don’t just open Powerpoints, I create and edit them, and they have to be saved as .ppt or .pptx files because Powerpoint is what’s installed on the equipment I have to use to show them. It’s not my equipment and I have no choice in the matter. While Impress claims to be able save in .pptx format, and certainly creates a file with that extension that it can re-open, my experience has been that more than half the time Powerpoint can’t open pptx files saved by Impress and will say the file is corrupt. Impress, of course, can also save in .ppt format, albeit with a warning that “some features” may be lost. The last time I tried, the “features” that were lost turned out to be all my text.

As for the comparative loading speed of Powerpoint in Wine and native Impress, I haven’t timed either, but if there is a difference it is not enough to be noticeable.

Both yes and no :slight_smile:
Explanation is like this: yes wine can run SOME programs that run on windows and they are listed here WineHQ - Wine Application Database in 3 categories: Platinum (apps work without any other tweaks), Gold (apps still work fine but some minor tweaks are involved), Silver (tweaks are needed and the apps may not work as well as expected). Still the other 2 categories not mentioned on the site are Bronze and Garbage for apps that don`t work well at all even with tweaks.

On the other side there is a chance that with new wine versions your app/apps may not work as well or they get improved in performance. For me Red Alert2 worked fine until last 2 wine versions lucky for me i have virtual box for that game (as an e.g. here). I did mentioned tweaks and as other users said before me winetricks can help a bit [winetricks - The Official Wine Wiki](http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks) by installing some dlls like the ones from directx, vcrun2005,2008, fonts and can help you to adjust sound issues(sometimes).

As a conclusion you may think that wine is quite stable and… for the lack of a better word… “strong” but it`s actually quite buggy because you may never know what bugs are coming in the next version.

On 08/14/2011 08:46 PM, dimesio wrote:
>
> I don’t just open Powerpoints, I create and edit them, and

i thought that might be the case…but read only “open”…

and (heh) i believe you when you say Impress doesn’t open PP “just fine”
because i’ve only seen PP files rendered in Impress and therefore can’t
judge if they are faithful to the original or not…

further: PP has embedded video! wow i didn’t know that (having never
seen it, i didn’t miss it)

now, wouldn’t it be nice if the PP folks would publish the hooks and
kinks necessary for non-PP apps on all platforms to seamlessly read and
write their format??

nah, ain’t gonna happen. (anytime soon)

DD
openSUSE®, the “German Engineered Automobile” of operating systems!

Many people don’t seem to realize that the biweekly Wine development releases are alpha versions, and they carry all the risks inherent in living at the bleeding edge. People who aren’t willing to risk regressions shouldn’t be using them, and that’s as true of Wine as it is of any other package.

dimesio wrote:
> creatura85;2375112 Wrote:
>> As a conclusion you may think that wine is quite stable and… for the
>> lack of a better word… “strong” but it`s actually quite buggy because
>> you may never know what bugs are coming in the next version.
> Many people don’t seem to realize that the biweekly Wine development
> releases are alpha versions, and they carry all the risks inherent in
> living at the bleeding edge. People who aren’t willing to risk
> regressions shouldn’t be using them, and that’s as true of Wine as it is
> of any other package.

Well that’s not quite right.

As it says on:

http://en.opensuse.org/Wine#Repositories

Following packages are available:

• wine: Builds of the biweekly WINE snapshot releases. This is the
    recommended version for most users.

• wine-snapshot: Daily builds of the current WINE GIT state. Only
    for the experienced user, can potentially be broken!

The daily builds are the ‘alpha’ release, not the fortnightly build.

There is still a risk of problems with any upgrade, of course, so it’s
best to keep a backup. But any regression breakage should get fixed soon
after it’s reported.

From http://wiki.winehq.org/WineReleaseCriteria:

Wine uses a stable/unstable branch model. Even-numbered releases (eg 1.2.x) will be stable, with only minimal changes merged in.

Development occurs on the odd branches (eg 1.3.x) until we enter code freeze and produce a series of release candidates. When asked whether the odd branches can be considered “alpha” or “beta”, Alexandre responded that it is the “development branch”. For end user purposes, this means alpha (and thus prone to regressions) until we freeze for release candidates. If the stable release process takes long enough, it becomes more likely that an unstable version of Wine will be better than the stable one for a new user with a random application. Consequently, some distributions ship unstable versions of Wine as the default Wine version.

OpenSUSE is unusual in packaging daily snapshots of git; I’m not aware of any other distro that does that. However, the distinction the package descriptions make between the daily and biweekly builds is purely arbitrary: the only thing that sets the biweekly build apart from any other daily build is the addition of a version numbering tag.

Personally i understand and accept the risks that any wine version brings :slight_smile:
djh-novell: yes there is such an risk with any package, but here we talk about wine. Even with such risks im glad that wine exists. Beside that everyone can contribute with apps reviews and bug submissions.

Thank you to all members for adding a very interesting discussion about wine, and directing to a linux version of a game I didnt know existed.
Our combined and shared knowledge is proof that Linux will be a serious contender against just one company having all the control of software.