Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adobe Flash lags on full-screen

Default Adobe Flash lags on full-screen

Ever since I started using openSUSE at the end of December, this has been bugging me. When I try to watch a full-screen YouTube video in either Chromium or Firefox, it lags to the point where maybe I'm getting 0.5 frames per second. Ironically, when I launch Chrome in virtualized Windows 7 (VirtualBox) to watch a full-screen Flash video it looks smooth as butter. Yes, even with the virtualization overhead and everything.

I'm using Adobe Flash 10,3,181,22 from the openSUSE repositories, Chromium 15 and Firefox 5. I'm on a 64-bit system. Any ideas as to what could be causing this lag?

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Adobe Flash lags on full-screen

pdedecker
    Ever since I started using openSUSE at the end of December, this has been bugging me. When I try to watch a full-screen YouTube video in either Chromium or Firefox, it lags to the point where maybe I'm getting 0.5 frames per second. Ironically, when I launch Chrome in virtualized Windows 7 (VirtualBox) to watch a full-screen Flash video it looks smooth as butter. Yes, even with the virtualization overhead and everything.

I'm using Adobe Flash 10,3,181,22 from the openSUSE repositories, Chromium 15 and Firefox 5. I'm on a 64-bit system. Any ideas as to what could be causing this lag?
    Here is some advice I provided another user.

Flash???

You did not indicate your video setup, but that is important. In the message above, he was using nVIDIA. Ignore that part if you have AMD or Intel video. There is a different AMD solution and most often, a newer kernel version can help with Intel. Dual graphic chipset Laptops can be problematic though.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Adobe Flash lags on full-screen

I use the fglrx driver for my ATI video card. I don't think the issue is related to my video card, because Flash works fine when I run it inside VirtualBox. Why doesn't it work out of the box?

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Adobe Flash lags on full-screen

I use the fglrx driver for my ATI video card. I don't think the issue is related to my video card, because Flash works fine when I run it inside VirtualBox. Why doesn't it work out of the box?
    I do not know if there is a simple explanation except to say that the emulated video hardware world presented by VirtualBox has been tested and modified to work properly with Flash. In the real world, Flash must interact with real video hardware and drivers. I would suggest you give the new 64 bit Flash a try and see if it helps. You do not need to change the Flash version in the emulated world since it works OK.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by pdedecker View Post
    I got the same problem with Flash, under an Nvidia card. The problem is Flash it self, since it has a wrapper "around it" that makes it works under a 64 bit system. To see if things are better you could try flash player 11 beta Adobe Flash Player 11 Beta for Desktops | applications, content and videos - Adobe Labs that has native support for linux under 64 bit. Maybe this will improve the quality of youtube video in fullscreen
    openSUSE Community Member: -> en.opensuse.org/User:Creatura85
    Connect Profile:
    -> connect.opensuse.org/pg/profile/creatura85
    openSUSE Romania Member: -> suseromania.ro

I can confirm that the beta version you linked to does not fix the full-screen Flash problem, sadly.

Blog Entries

Any extras installed that could interfere with video rendering, like cairo dock for example, compiz for another?
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Haven't got anything fancy like that. I also tried disabling KDE's built-in desktop effects, but this didn't resolve the issue.

Is this issue only on the 64-bit systems?

I've not tried it on a 32-bit system yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast