Handbrake How do I rip the whole DVD? Notifier quit announcing DVD/mounting DVD.

Two questions

First. How do I go about ripping the whole DVD? All Handbrake does is rip the first episode? Google gives instructions for Apple and Windows and they don’t cover doing it in Linux. They make it sound like it’s automatic. I hasn’t been for me so far. Well at least until this DVD issue that follows.

Second. Since installing Handbrake and routine openSUSE 11.3 64 updates my DVDs are not mounted and the notifier doesn’t pop up. Navigating to /media shows no DVD mounted. I realize this could be a hardware failing issue but the DVD spins up and flashes like it’s scanning the DVD. A reboot to reset everything didn’t solve this issue. If I stick a USB thumb drive in it’s mounted and the notifier pops up.

Hi
I just pop a DVD in, then select from the ‘Source’ button it shows me a Title and then the chapters it’s going to rip eg;
SUSE Paste

Do you have libdvdcss2 installed?

Handbrake is VERY GOOD, but I confess I prefer to use microchip’s scripts. If one has a Core i7 then the h264enc script works nicely for such a DVD backup. Else the xvidenc script is also ok for backups (it runs faster as the codec is not as demanding for CPU time to create the file).

On my Core i7 920, with h264enc to backup a nominal DVD at a nominally high 2 Mbits/sec bitrate, typically takes all night (while I am sleeping). Don’t enter a bit rate too high as a DVD may not be able to handle too high a bit rate.

With both h264enc and xvidenc, in the most part one can go with the default settings. I find sometimes I need to press the <enter> key when it appears either script is ‘stuck’.

On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 11:46:03 +0000, FlameBait wrote:

> All Handbrake does is rip
> the first episode?

Handbrake rips individual titles from the disc, defaulting to the first
one. You can select others, but it does it title by title, with each
title in its own file.

At least that’s been my experience.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

OK I’ll see if I can make is go past the first title on another DVD. It doesn’t seem to want to go past the last chapter of the first title on this one DVD so I’ll try another since there may be issues with that DVD’s authoring I just realized.

On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 20:46:02 +0000, FlameBait wrote:

> OK I’ll see if I can make is go past the first title on another DVD. It
> doesn’t seem to want to go past the last chapter of the first title on
> this one DVD so I’ll try another since there may be issues with that
> DVD’s authoring I just realized.

That’s a possibility - note also that you have to create a job for each
title separate - at least using the ghb frontend, it won’t automatically
do anything but the longest title (I think is what it looks for).

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

I seem due to errors in the way some of my Anime DVD are authored they can’t be scanned. I verified this by using HandBrake on a OS that will go un-named that also resides on Box #2 and trying to rip these one of these DVD and watching the activity window.

There is nothing wrong with my DVD drive or it’s automatic mounting it’s problems with commercial DVDs it seems.

Hi
So libdvdcss is installed?

Yes but Handbrake seems to have been using dvdnav instead of libdvdread which may have made a difference.

The mounting problems do not affect every DVD I insert, If I put Hidamari Sketch in the DVD dirve it will not be recognized now. It was recognized and is what I had been watching episodes of of when I installed Handbrake I used it as the source of my first rips to see what settings made me rips I could watch on my iPad with Japanese audio and embedded English subtitles.Now it’s as if it was never put in the drive when I insert it. If I put in another DVD it’s mounted and I can rip it after it’s fully scanned.

A bit of additional info. I just put the second DVD in that set in and it’s auto mounted an recognized. I wonder what I did that makes the insertion of the first DVD ignored?

I know nothing of iPad’s except they are some expensive FAD.
Do they not have an optical drive? I’m guessing not.

Why not use k9copy to produce a .iso and just copy over the .iso to the iPad and play that with VLC

VLC on an iPad LOL . Not possible. Handbrake is made for producing media files that these 'i" products can use.

Right now I am more interested in what is happening with my DVD dive and this one DVD. It’s a mystery

I need some clarification:

1. Are you saying the other OS can or cannot read this problem part of the DVD?
  2. You have used a DVD, OK, removed it, re-inserted it and it’s not picked up?

Sorry for my ignorance, but VLC was just a suggestion, obviously a stupid one to those initiated in all things(i).

So (i)… it can’t play DVD’s or a .iso file? !
(I do remember my Son bought a iPhone, it was that good it ended up being flushed down the toilet (so to speak) )

Here’s a tip, I always rip the DVD to VOB files before running any kind of transcoding on them. Saves wear on the DVD.

I have found that in some cases, handbrake needs invoked multiple times to rip each chapter and title individually. It just quits after the first title for some media. I don’t know why that is.

“You have used a DVD, OK, removed it, re-inserted it and it’s not picked up?”
Yes that’s it. It’s going on on this one DVD. It refused to let the lock some program had on that DVD go though no program accessing the DVD was going and I had to literally reboot to get the DVD out of the drive. Pushing the button on the drive produced no results as long as the OS was booted.

ken_yapp
I am going to have to see what I need to rip them into VOB files I guess.
How do I force it to scan all the chapters on the DVD? It just seems to stop the end of the first episode on this one set of DVDs I have been trying to rip.

As I said, I rip the DVD first, so all the VOB files are on disk. There’s no problem with the ripper (k9copy IIRC) finding all the chapters and titles.

I tried K9 but I must be doing something wrong as it didn’t pick up the subtitles. I’ll try again and see if I can figure this out. It ripped the DVD into avi files.
OGMRip may work as well.

They may have done something sneaky on that DVD. But as a rule I always rip first to reduce the wear on the DVD drive.

I am not too worried about wear and tear on the DVDs or the drive. I am very gentle with my DVDs but I want ripable format. I am trying a K9 rip to a folder right now on box #2 with a different DVD.