Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Handbrake How do I rip the whole DVD? Notifier quit announcing DVD/mounting DVD.

Default Handbrake How do I rip the whole DVD? Notifier quit announcing DVD/mounting DVD.

Two questions

First. How do I go about ripping the whole DVD? All Handbrake does is rip the first episode? Google gives instructions for Apple and Windows and they don't cover doing it in Linux. They make it sound like it's automatic. I hasn't been for me so far. Well at least until this DVD issue that follows.

Second. Since installing Handbrake and routine openSUSE 11.3 64 updates my DVDs are not mounted and the notifier doesn't pop up. Navigating to /media shows no DVD mounted. I realize this could be a hardware failing issue but the DVD spins up and flashes like it's scanning the DVD. A reboot to reset everything didn't solve this issue. If I stick a USB thumb drive in it's mounted and the notifier pops up.
    Tumbleweed

Blog Entries

Default Re: Handbrake How do I rip the whole DVD? Notifier quit announcing DVD/mounting DVD.

Hi
    I just pop a DVD in, then select from the 'Source' button it shows me a Title and then the chapters it's going to rip eg;
    SUSE Paste

Do you have libdvdcss2 installed?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Handbrake How do I rip the whole DVD? Notifier quit announcing DVD/mounting DVD.

Handbrake is VERY GOOD, but I confess I prefer to use microchip's scripts. If one has a Core i7 then the h264enc script works nicely for such a DVD backup. Else the xvidenc script is also ok for backups (it runs faster as the codec is not as demanding for CPU time to create the file).

On my Core i7 920, with h264enc to backup a nominal DVD at a nominally high 2 Mbits/sec bitrate, typically takes all night (while I am sleeping). Don't enter a bit rate too high as a DVD may not be able to handle too high a bit rate.

With both h264enc and xvidenc, in the most part one can go with the default settings. I find sometimes I need to press the <enter> key when it appears either script is 'stuck'.

Default Re: Handbrake How do I rip the whole DVD? Notifier quit announcingDVD/mounting DVD.

On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 11:46:03 +0000, FlameBait wrote:

> All Handbrake does is rip
    > the first episode?

Handbrake rips individual titles from the disc, defaulting to the first
    one. You can select others, but it does it title by title, with each
    title in its own file.

At least that's been my experience.

Jim

--
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Default Re: Handbrake How do I rip the whole DVD? Notifier quit announcingDVD/mounting DVD.

OK I'll see if I can make is go past the first title on another DVD. It doesn't seem to want to go past the last chapter of the first title on this one DVD so I'll try another since there may be issues with that DVD's authoring I just realized.
    Tumbleweed

On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 20:46:02 +0000, FlameBait wrote:

> OK I'll see if I can make is go past the first title on another DVD. It
    > doesn't seem to want to go past the last chapter of the first title on
    > this one DVD so I'll try another since there may be issues with that
    > DVD's authoring I just realized.

That's a possibility - note also that you have to create a job for each
    title separate - at least using the ghb frontend, it won't automatically
    do anything but the longest title (I think is what it looks for).

Jim

--
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

I seem due to errors in the way some of my Anime DVD are authored they can't be scanned. I verified this by using HandBrake on a OS that will go un-named that also resides on Box #2 and trying to rip these one of these DVD and watching the activity window.

There is nothing wrong with my DVD drive or it's automatic mounting it's problems with commercial DVDs it seems.
    Tumbleweed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FlameBait View Post
    There is nothing wrong with my DVD drive or it's automatic mounting it's problems with commercial DVDs it seems.
    Hi
    So libdvdcss is installed?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Yes but Handbrake seems to have been using dvdnav instead of libdvdread which may have made a difference.

The mounting problems do not affect every DVD I insert, If I put Hidamari Sketch in the DVD dirve it will not be recognized now. It was recognized and is what I had been watching episodes of of when I installed Handbrake I used it as the source of my first rips to see what settings made me rips I could watch on my iPad with Japanese audio and embedded English subtitles.Now it's as if it was never put in the drive when I insert it. If I put in another DVD it's mounted and I can rip it after it's fully scanned.
    Tumbleweed

A bit of additional info. I just put the second DVD in that set in and it's auto mounted an recognized. I wonder what I did that makes the insertion of the first DVD ignored?
    Tumbleweed

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast