Thread: VNC Solution other than Vino or vncserver

Default VNC Solution other than Vino or vncserver

I got both to work, the vino is very laggy and almost unusable over wireless. The vncserver tho, does not share my Gnome but instead gives me a TWM session.

I have since removed the Tightvnc and installed RealVNC but that does not seem to share my Gnome either, unless I am doing something wrong.

What would be a good VNC server for openSuse 11.4?

Default Re: VNC Solution other than Vino or vncserver

NoMachine NX and FreeNX let you open X sessions much faster than vnc (and more secure too). It can also shadow the current session - like any vnc server - if you choose "shadow" in the client, but it that case, I'm afraid it uses the vnc protocol too - which is always slow.

Shadowing in nx doesn't have to use vnc, you can turning on shadowing in the /use/NX/etc/nxserver.conf file. Just remove the # enabling the shadow lines. NX can do vnc and windows rdp through the nxserver but doesn't help with performance but only security. This is in the NX from Nomachines and the config file for the server is well documented inside the file. Also this is using the 3.x version, I'm not sure how the 4.x beta versions handle this.

thanks for the suggestions guys I am going to check this out