Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost GRUB - help needed.

Default Lost GRUB - help needed.

Hi,
    I tried to change boot screens and on suse-art, as they said, i replaced everything in the /boot/grub folder with the thing i downloaded (bootsplash.tar.gz)
    Now, when loading, the usual grub doesnt appear and a terminal like screen appears with all options such as opensuse 11.4, opensuse failsafe and windows. The problem is, when i click opensuse or opensuse failsafe, it says such partition not found!
    Please help... BUt i am able to login to windows.

Thanks
    Anish

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Lost GRUB - help needed.

You most likely should consider reinstalling grub. Here is a link on the subject:

Re-Install Grub Quickly with Parted Magic

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Lost GRUB - help needed.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    You most likely should consider reinstalling grub. Here is a link on the subject:

Re-Install Grub Quickly with Parted Magic
    This will restore grub stage1. Unfortunately what the OP is missing is stage2 (the stuff in /boot/grub). So reinstalling the bootloader won't help.
    I don't know if there is a way to repare/reinstall stage2 (other than copy the files from another system or openSUSE live CD to /boot/grub - which requires mounting this partition first). Then you have to edit menu.lst manually to reflect the installed kernel and the root and/or /boot partitions (normally the same one). This is do-able and not difficult when you know how to do it. However, if you have no idea and you have to provide all the details about your system (kernel, partitions) so that we can write a working menu.lst for you, it's going to take much longer than just reinstalling openSUSE.

Since this is the kind of mistake I don't make, I do not happen to know another solution. Maybe someone will have a better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by thinkanish View Post
    I tried to change boot screens and on suse-art, as they said, i replaced everything in the /boot/grub folder with the thing i downloaded (bootsplash.tar.gz)
    Don't do it anymore!

* Could this thread maybe be moved to the Install/Boot/Login subforum? Thanks.

okay, now i booted using the live cd and entered the terminal,
    there these are i typed
    Code:
    grub
    grub> find /boot/grub/menu.lst
    (hd0,5)
    grub> root (hd0,5)
    filesystem...ext4..(i cant remember)
    grub> setup (hd0)
    checking....(some text)
    finally succesful! done!
    grub> quit
    reboot
    Now, I am getting like this:
    grub loading....
    Error 16

Thats it.. i cant even login to windows now... what to do pls help

Maybe there is a "repair sytem" option on the live CD or installation DVD that would reinstall Grub stage2 (?). It would seem logical - but I don't know, as I never needed to do that. (I don't have a live CD to check).

Quote Originally Posted by thinkanish View Post
    okay, now i booted using the live cd and entered the terminal,
    there these are i typed
    Code:
    grub
    grub> find /boot/grub/menu.lst
    (hd0,5)
    grub> root (hd0,5)
    filesystem...ext4..(i cant remember)
    grub> setup (hd0)
    checking....(some text)
    finally succesful! done!
    grub> quit
    reboot
    Now, I am getting like this:
    grub loading....
    Error 16
    See my previous post! You have overwritten this file. Reinstalling the bootloader won't help. ... but you could still boot Linux manually by entering the Grub shell. We could get it done that way ... Reinstalling would be faster though (IMHO). Or maybe I'm just too lazy today to provide more detailled explanations.

Then I am seriously considering reinstalling openSUSE. Ubuntu is colourful and bright and pleases me.. But something prevents me from avoiding SUSE(yeah i like the chameleon thing), though it has dull screen compared to ubuntu(by default). I seriously cant figure it till now what makes suse take first place in my mind!!!
    I swear before you penguins, I would never mess up with GRUB without studying its anatomy.

Thanks for all your suggestions mates.

I wonder if the Rescue system option on the DVD (and maybe live CD as well) would not rewrite a working menu.lst. You should try this option first. Please report if it solves the problem (or not).

If you use a net install disc (from here where it says Network).
    Boot from disc and choose instal but when you get to the appropriate screen choose 'upgrade' not full instal. Then enable all your repos and re-install the kernel files only. Deselect all other software.
    This will reset your your boot folder with the appropriate files.
    If necessary you can then amend your menu.lst from a live CD and reboot your system.
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    I wonder if the Rescue system option on the DVD (and maybe live CD as well) would not rewrite a working menu.lst. You should try this option first. Please report if it solves the problem (or not).
    In live cd, except rescue system option, all others are there!. May be i should have used dvd for installation...
    Another one question., If i am going to reinstall the os, then can i install it from the 4.7gb dvd(i have a downloaded copy)? because they mention it for desktop and servers.. can i use it for laptop too? any dependency issue will arise?
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast