Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with pdftk-qgui and printing pdf's

Default Help with pdftk-qgui and printing pdf's

I wanted to print a pdf of my daughter's schedule and the page is set to portrait mode but should be landscape. When I try to print it from either Okular or Adobe, the text is all smooshed and unreadable. I've tried to get the page to be rotated using pdftk-qgui and it seemed to rotate but the printing result was the same, the text was squished and unreadable. I also tried printing it from Adoble PDF (not rotated) and it printed the schedule but the result was in portrait mode and very small and hard to read.

These are the commands I tried (as directed) from the terminal:

To Rotate the First Page of a PDF to 90 Degrees Clockwise:
    pdftk in.pdf cat 1E 2-end output out.pdf

To Rotate an Entire PDF Document’s Pages to 180 Degrees:
    pdftk in.pdf cat 1-endS output out.pdf

But while, the page was rotated, it didn't help.

I'm using SuSE 11.4.

Default Re: Help with pdftk-qgui and printing pdf's

I'm not sure what you mean by 'the page is set to portrait mode but should be landscape.' If you mean the PDF has been produced in portrait mode when it should have been produced in langscape mode, you need to sort out the options in the program that produced it.

If you mean that it was produced in landscape but you cannot get it to print in lahdscape, then install KPDF (kdegraphics3-pdf) from software.opensuse.org if you have no other KDE3 programs installed. There is a known bug in Okular relating to landscape printing but the fact that you have the problem in Adobe suggests that the problem lies in the program that generated the PDF and not in the viewer.

I just got KPDF and I looked at the document and the properties information says:
    Producer: IText 2.1.4 (by lowagle.com)
    Format: PDF v. 1.4
    Creator: Genesis SIS Powered by Forge-Tech, Inc.

When I preview the document from within KPDF, it seems to be using Okular for that. So, I'm assuming that if I try to print it out from within KPDF, I will have the same problem.

Perhaps that known bug in Okular has hit Adobe (or has done something that seems to have affected Adobe), could that be so?

All KDE programs use some common libraries but KPDF is not the same as Okular and will print landscape PDFs without any problems; Okular has a known problem in this area; there is a suggested workaround but I have never been able to get it to work.

I am also not clear what the format of the original document is from which you wanted to create a landscape PDF. That may be where the problem lies.

Blog Entries

I've had this happen to me in Acroread, and in my case, it was because I had the wrong setting applied under 'page scaling' in the print properties. Apologies, I can not remember any more specific details than that, but I am confident if you play with those settings you will figure out the correct one for your case.

Good luck !

On 2011-08-06 16:36, gymnart wrote:
    > Perhaps that known bug in Okular has hit Adobe (or has done something
    > that seems to have affected Adobe), could that be so?

No.

But both print via the same kde libraries. You might try printing directly
    from the command line.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

Printing from KPDF did not work. The results were the same, the schedule table itself looked ok but the text was very stretched and looking like it had been squashed.
    I looked at the properties tab from within Acroread for the document and this is what I found:

Page scaling: default
    Fonts: Helvetica
    Type: 1
    Encoding: ANSI
    Actual font: Adobe Sans MM

I'm beginning to think, could this be due to a problem with fonts? I just checked and I do have Helvetica and Adobe Sans MM.
    As for the page scaling: default, how do I find out what that is?
    'page scaling' in the print properties tab were grayed out so I couldn't change anything there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gymnart View Post
    I looked at the properties tab from within Acroread for the document and this is what I found:

Page scaling: default
    Fonts: Helvetica
    Type: 1
    Encoding: ANSI
    Actual font: Adobe Sans MM
    ???

When I look at the page scaling options for Acroread (under print > page handling), this is what I see for selections:
    • fit to printable area
    • shrink to printable area
    • multiple pages per sheet
    • booklet printing

Its not even close to what you described !

Sorry, I was looking in a different spot. (File > Properties)
    Yes, in Print > Page Handling I do see what you described but none of those do what I need.
    I have tried the Auto Rotate and Center option but that does not work either.

Whatever my landscape pdf printing problem is, it is affecting all my pdf readers.

Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas
    You might try printing directly from the command line.
    How do I do that?

Blog Entries

Sorry, I was looking in a different spot. (File > Properties)
    Yes, in Print > Page Handling I do see what you described but none of those do what I need.
    It does work (at least for me)

I have tried the Auto Rotate and Center option but that does not work either.
    I never touch those. Frankly, I never touch anything hardly. ... it makes me wonder if you changed something to bring this about.

How about giving us some print screen outputs of your acroread settings.

Apologies, but I can't help but think they have been messed up inadvertently.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast