Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Can't start X windows when the openSUSE11.4 kernel update to 2.6.37.6-0.7

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    China.Shanghai
    Posts
    11

    Unhappy Can't start X windows when the openSUSE11.4 kernel update to 2.6.37.6-0.7

    Last night,I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.37.6-0.7,when I reboot the system it can't start X windows.
    the logfile: /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    no drivers
    not srceen found


    Who can help me?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,517
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Can't start X windows when the openSUSE11.4 kernel update to 2.6.37.6-0.7

    Quote Originally Posted by ldonger View Post
    Last night,I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.37.6-0.7,when I reboot the system it can't start X windows.
    the logfile: /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    no drivers
    not srceen found
    Can you reboot with FailSafe setting ?

    Can you reboot with the grub menu boot option "nomodeset".

    Can you reboot to a full screen text mode by pressing "3" at the grub boot menu ?

    If you can get to a failsafe GUI or to text prompt please type the following and copy it and post here the output:

    Code:
    /sbin/lpsci -nnk | grep VGA -A2
    If you copy the output of that and paste it here, that will tell us what graphic hardware is on your PC.

    Were you using a proprietary graphic driver ? If so, you will likely need to either rebuild the driver yourself, or install a prebuilt version of the driver for your updated kernel versioni.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,517
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Can't start X windows when the openSUSE11.4 kernel update to 2.6.37.6-0.7

    Quote Originally Posted by ldonger View Post
    the logfile: /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    Was that supposed to be a link ?? Because if so, your link is no good.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    China.Shanghai
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Can't start X windows when the openSUSE11.4 kernel update to 2.6.37.6-0.7

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Can you reboot with FailSafe setting ?

    Can you reboot with the grub menu boot option "nomodeset".

    Can you reboot to a full screen text mode by pressing "3" at the grub boot menu ?

    If you can get to a failsafe GUI or to text prompt please type the following and copy it and post here the output:

    Code:
    /sbin/lpsci -nnk | grep VGA -A2
    If you copy the output of that and paste it here, that will tell us what graphic hardware is on your PC.

    Were you using a proprietary graphic driver ? If so, you will likely need to either rebuild the driver yourself, or install a prebuilt version of the driver for your updated kernel versioni.

    graphic hardware:NVIDIA 8400M G
    I have installed the official drivers.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    China.Shanghai
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Can't start X windows when the openSUSE11.4 kernel update to 2.6.37.6-0.7

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Can you reboot with FailSafe setting ?

    Can you reboot with the grub menu boot option "nomodeset".

    Can you reboot to a full screen text mode by pressing "3" at the grub boot menu ?

    If you can get to a failsafe GUI or to text prompt please type the following and copy it and post here the output:

    Code:
    /sbin/lpsci -nnk | grep VGA -A2
    If you copy the output of that and paste it here, that will tell us what graphic hardware is on your PC.

    Were you using a proprietary graphic driver ? If so, you will likely need to either rebuild the driver yourself, or install a prebuilt version of the driver for your updated kernel versioni.


    I can start the failsafe GUI,when I running
    Code:
    /sbin/lpsci -nnk | grep VGA -A2

    LD:/home/ldonger # /sbin/lpsci
    bash: /sbin/lpsci: No such file or directory
    LD:/home/ldonger #
    LD:/home/ldonger #
    LD:/home/ldonger # zypper in lpsci
    Retrieving repository 'Updates for openSUSE 11.4 11.4-0' metadata [done]
    Building repository 'Updates for openSUSE 11.4 11.4-0' cache [done]
    Retrieving repository 'google-chrome' metadata [done]
    Building repository 'google-chrome' cache [done]
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    'lpsci' not found in package names. Trying capabilities.
    No provider of 'lpsci' found.
    Resolving package dependencies...

    Nothing to do.


    Then how should I do?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,517
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Can't start X windows when the openSUSE11.4 kernel update to 2.6.37.6-0.7

    Quote Originally Posted by ldonger View Post
    LD:/home/ldonger # /sbin/lpsci
    bash: /sbin/lpsci: No such file or directory

    ...
    Then how should I do?
    Sorry, I'm bad. .... I got my letters reversed (I'm typing too fast). That should read:

    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2
    it stands for " list PCI " (devices) ... ie ls for list, and pci for PCI.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Phuket, Thailand
    Posts
    26,517
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Can't start X windows when the openSUSE11.4 kernel update to 2.6.37.6-0.7

    Quote Originally Posted by ldonger View Post
    graphic hardware:NVIDIA 8400M G
    I have installed the official drivers.
    OK, then you need to either :
    (1) rebuild the proprietary nVidia graphic driver (if you installed the proprietary driver the manual way), or
    (2) re-install the proprietary nVidia graphic driver from the appropriate nVidia repository

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    China.Shanghai
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Can't start X windows when the openSUSE11.4 kernel update to 2.6.37.6-0.7

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    OK, then you need to either :
    (1) rebuild the proprietary nVidia graphic driver (if you installed the proprietary driver the manual way), or
    (2) re-install the proprietary nVidia graphic driver from the appropriate nVidia repository
    Hi,oldcpu

    I have solved this problem by reinstalling the Nvidia driver.
    Thank you!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •