Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HDMI audio Nvidia GTS 450

Default HDMI audio Nvidia GTS 450

Hi,

I have a Nvidia GTS 450 GPU with HDMI. I want to have the audio on my TV that's connected with HDMI cable. But for some reason I'm not able to get the audio working. The card has its own audio chip. In Yast and pulseaudio I can see the card. But when I select it for playing audio it will not play on my TV.

Changing the cable doesn't work and don't know what to do. Every thing on the internet I have tried doesn't work. Is there someone how can help me?

Here are some settings (if you need more just ask):
    Using openSuSE 11.4
    Code:
    cat /proc/asound/cards
     0 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                          HDA NVidia at 0xf7f78000 irq 21
     1 [NVidia_1       ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                          HDA NVidia at 0xfbefc000 irq 16
    Code:
    aplay -L
    null
        Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
    front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
        HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Analog
        Front speakers
    surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
        4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
    surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
        4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
    surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
        5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
    surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
        5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
    surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
        7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
    iec958:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
        HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Digital
        IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
    hdmi:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=0
        HDA NVidia, HDMI 0                                                                                                                                                               
        HDMI Audio Output                                                                                                                                                                
    hdmi:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=1                                                                                                                                                             
        HDA NVidia, HDMI 0                                                                                                                                                               
        HDMI Audio Output                                                                                                                                                                
    hdmi:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=2                                                                                                                                                             
        HDA NVidia, HDMI 0                                                                                                                                                               
        HDMI Audio Output                                                                                                                                                                
    hdmi:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=3                                                                                                                                                             
        HDA NVidia, HDMI 0                                                                                                                                                               
        HDMI Audio Output
    THNX
    Daniël
    Daniël

Blog Entries

Default Re: HDMI audio Nvidia GTS 450

I don't have an HDMI setup so I can't offer much in the line of advice, other than suggest you install pulse audio volume control app (pavucontrol) and then the 1st time you go to use any multimedia player, launch pavucontrol, and use its various configure, output device, and playback tabs to tune that application with HDMI with pulse. Do not forget in tab output device under SHOW to show all output devices, and under the playback tab SHOW to select all streams.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I don't have an HDMI setup so I can't offer much in the line of advice, other than suggest you install pulse audio volume control app (pavucontrol) and then the 1st time you go to use any multimedia player, launch pavucontrol, and use its various configure, output device, and playback tabs to tune that application with HDMI with pulse. Do not forget in tab output device under SHOW to show all output devices, and under the playback tab SHOW to select all streams.
    If that does not work, you can take a look at this post: connect Toshiba x205 laptop to TV with HDMI (solved)

Both don't work.
    The pulseaudio one I had done myself.
    And the solution of the Toshiba is for old style HDMI in the new FEMI cores this was fixed as far as I know...

So my card is in pulseaudio and can be selected. But there is no sound.
    If I run speaker-test -c 2 -r 48000 -D hw:1,3 It starts shows the same thing as when I'm doing it to my normal soundcard but again no sound.

Does it help?
    Daniël

Blog Entries

Smile Re: HDMI audio Nvidia GTS 450

I found the following link where another person said to get it to work.

No Audio with Nvidia GTS 450

Let me tell you that I have tried this on a nVIDIA GTS 240 and found that while you can get stereo to work, I could never get Dolby Digital to work, not even in Windows where my Sony 5.1 receiver told me I had Dolby Digital 2/0, which is basically stereo. If you want to know my opinion, I would use the computer built-in audio and forget about the HDMI audio from this video card. I have an HTPC setup with a nVIDIA GTX460 video card and I just use the built-in PC optical audio out taken straight to my Sony 5.1 Receiver. My LG TV does also includes optical and Coax audio input, but I just took out the analog stereo audio out form the built-in motherboard audio to the TV if I wanted to hear standard sounds without turning on the Sony Receiver. I say give up on HDMI and find another way.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    I found the following link where another person said to get it to work.

No Audio with Nvidia GTS 450
    The fix there reminded me of post#20, #21, and #22 in this openSUSE thread: Sound to multiple output devices with pulse?
    ... slightly different but it still may be of help

Nope didn't work. Made it even worse (no audio at all).

I do have playback. If I switch to the HDMI-output The bar starts moving in the output device tab of the pavucontrol. But there is no audio on my TV.

In ALSAmixer I'm not able to raise the volume of the lines on the sound card... I'm able to mute them.

So it's like the sound doesn't reach my TV at all.
    Daniël

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken View Post
    Nope didn't work. Made it even worse (no audio at all).
    Out of curiosity, with your HDMI output connected and setup the way YOU think is best, run the diagnostic script:
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh
    and select the share/upload option to upload the output to the internet/alsa paste site and post here the website-address/url that the script will give when after it is 100% complete.

If you have no internet access to do this, then run the script with the no upload option:
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh --no-upload
    which will create a file in /tmp/alsa-info.txt and copy that file's contents and paste it to SUSE Paste and submit it there and again post here the website/URL address where the output is located.

Also provide screen prints of your pavucontrol gui settings (config, output-devices, and playback, ensure you have SHOW selected properly in those tabs as applicable) and also the contents of ANY config files that you may have edited. If the files are too big then paste their contents on SUSE Paste and post here the website/URL address where the file contents are located.

The output of alsa-info.sh is Here.

A reset of the pulseaudio files and a reboot fixed the problem with no audio at all. So I do have sound again.

I have sound when I run: speaker-test -D hw:1,7 -c 2 /dev/urandom
    The 7 first was a 3 That use to be the only that didn't produce an error. But still now audio. I have updated /etc/pulse/default.pa.
    Daniël

Default [SOLVED] HDMI audio Nvidia GTS 450

Problem is SOLVED!!!

I found the solution while reading the output of alsa-info.sh. Alsa found two hardware profiles one on hw1,3 and one on hw1,7. Pulse only found the one on hw1,3. I forced pulse to use hw1,7 and now its fixed.

Thanks for your help you all!
    Daniël

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast