Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Nouveau and Nvidia

Default Question about Nouveau and Nvidia

Hi again.

I'm finally installing openSUSE 11.4 x64, but there's still a small doubt I have. By default installed graphics driver is Nouveau, and I read one should blacklist Nouveau first before installing Nvidia drivers. When I installed 11.3 I did it before knowing this and just added Nvidia repo and installed drivers, which seemed to "overwrite" Nouveau...

Now I intend to make a better installation. Is it harmful not having Nouveau blacklisted? I haven't seen issues regarding Nouveau-Nvidia conflicts by now on 11.3... And for correct installation sake, how do I blacklist Nouveau?

Thanks.

Default Re: Question about Nouveau and Nvidia

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 04:56:02 +0000, F style wrote:

> Now I intend to make a better installation. Is it harmful not having
    > Nouveau blacklisted?

I don't know if it's supposed to be harmful, but I am running the nvidia
    driver and did not blacklist nouveau on my x64 system, and things are
    running just fine.

Jim

--
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

F_style: yes nouveau must be blacklisted to stop him from starting when the OS loads. If you install the nvidia driver from the nvidia repo Yast will blacklist nouveau and adjust /etc/sysconfig, you just add the "nomodeset" option to the bootloader(the easy way). If you install it manually you will have to blacklist nouveau, add "nomodeset" option to the bootloader and adjust /etc/sysconfig/Kernel (a.k.a nvidia the hard way SDB:NVIDIA the hard way - openSUSE )

hendersj: if you had installed the nvidia driver from the repo it is blacklisted already. Personally if i leave nouveau "free" my system gets unusable. Better to be safe than sorry i say
    openSUSE Community Member: -> en.opensuse.org/User:Creatura85
    Connect Profile:
    -> connect.opensuse.org/pg/profile/creatura85
    openSUSE Romania Member: -> suseromania.ro

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by F_style View Post
    Hi again.

I'm finally installing openSUSE 11.4 x64, but there's still a small doubt I have. By default installed graphics driver is Nouveau, and I read one should blacklist Nouveau first before installing Nvidia drivers. When I installed 11.3 I did it before knowing this and just added Nvidia repo and installed drivers, which seemed to "overwrite" Nouveau...

Now I intend to make a better installation. Is it harmful not having Nouveau blacklisted? I haven't seen issues regarding Nouveau-Nvidia conflicts by now on 11.3... And for correct installation sake, how do I blacklist Nouveau?

Thanks.
    This is what I do:
    nVidia Driver via Repo in 11.3 & 11.4 - Guide
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

When you install the nvidia driver from repo - for example using the command
    Code:
    zypper in x11-video-fglrxG02
    The package nvidia-gfxG02-kmp-desktop (or -default) including the kernel module and the file /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf is installed by dependencie.

Code:
    # rpm -ql nvidia-gfxG02-kmp-desktop
    /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf
    /lib/modules/2.6.37.1-1.2-desktop
    /lib/modules/2.6.37.1-1.2-desktop/updates
    /lib/modules/2.6.37.1-1.2-desktop/updates/nv-kernel.o
    /lib/modules/2.6.37.1-1.2-desktop/updates/nv-linux.o
    /lib/modules/2.6.37.1-1.2-desktop/updates/nvidia.ko
    The file /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf has the following content:

Code:
    # cat /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf
    blacklist nouveau
    It prevents the nouveau module to get loaded.

Blog Entries

Now I intend to make a better installation. Is it harmful not having Nouveau blacklisted? I haven't seen issues regarding Nouveau-Nvidia conflicts by now on 11.3...
    The situation is dynamic wrt the need to blacklist nouveau, and the situation is dynamic wrt the need to disable modesetting. Dependant on the nVidia proprietary driver version, and dependant on one's exact hardware, one may or may not have to disable modesetting and one may or may not have to black list the nouveau driver. I know of no list explaining what is needed exactly for what hardware. Instead one needs to try their best.

And for correct installation sake, how do I blacklist Nouveau?
    The 4th thing to try in this guide gave some advice: SDB:Configuring graphics cards - openSUSE in the paragraph flagged with a 'WARNING' :
    Warning Nvidia graphic card users who discovered that the "nouveau" driver did not work for them, should pay attention to the openSUSE-11.3 release notes and as appropriate blacklist the "nouveau" driver in the /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf file. This can be done with root permissions by typing:
    Code:

echo "blacklist nouveau" >> /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf
    It may also be necessary to run "yast" (you can run yast in text mode with root permissions if X window not available) and navigate to yast > System > /etc/sysconfig Editor > System > Kernel > NO_KMS_IN_INITRD and change it to "yes". This takes a minute or two to save once changed is submitted.
    Note that 'echo' with the ' >> ' symbol is a very dangerous command. If one mistakenly uses only ' > ' it over writes instead of appending to the file. So be VERY careful and be certain to use ' >> ' .

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post

The 4th thing to try in this guide gave some advice: SDB:Configuring graphics cards - openSUSE in the paragraph flagged with a 'WARNING' :

Warning Nvidia graphic card users who discovered that the "nouveau" driver did not work for them, should pay attention to the openSUSE-11.3 release notes and as appropriate blacklist the "nouveau" driver in the /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf file. This can be done with root permissions by typing:
    Code:

Code:
    echo "blacklist nouveau" >> /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf
    AFAIK you can use any filename (with extension .conf) in /etc/modprobe.d. The driver from repo adds nvidia.conf. So this command should do it to:
    Code:
    echo "blacklist nouveau" >> /etc/modprobe.d/nividia.conf
    @F_style
    Notice that in this case ">" would have been OK. I intentionally used ">>", which is equivalent if the file doesn't exist. So if you decide to follow @oldcpu's suggestion - which is fine - I strongly second and highlight his warning:

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Note that 'echo' with the ' >> ' symbol is a very dangerous command. If one mistakenly uses only ' > ' it over writes instead of appending to the file. So be VERY careful and be certain to use ' >> ' .
    When you're done installing nvidia, you can check if nouveau has been blacklisted with this command:
    Code:
    grep nouveau /etc/modprobe.d/*
    If it gives an output similar to this
    Code:
    /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf:blacklist nouveau
    you don't need to blacklist it twice - although it shouldn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    When you install the nvidia driver from repo - for example using the command
    Code:
    zypper in x11-video-fglrxG02
    Sorry (that would have been for the ATI driver) , I meant
    Code:
    zypper in x11-video-nvidiaG02

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 07:16:02 +0000, creatura85 wrote:

> *hendersj:* if you had installed the nvidia driver from the repo it is
    > blacklisted already. Personally if i leave nouveau "free" my system gets
    > unusable. Better to be safe than sorry i say

That would explain it - thanks!

Jim
    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    From your guide, what are steps 2 and 3 for? Looks like I just did steps 1, 4, 5, and 6 back then...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast