Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disabling VDPAU

Default Disabling VDPAU

How might I disable VDPAU? I use an open source module to control my backlight so whenever an application uses VDPAU it resets my backlight to maximum. Is there anyway to disable it or access to it?. If so are there any major consequences to disabling it?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Disabling VDPAU

Quote Originally Posted by FaiT View Post
    How might I disable VDPAU? I use an open source module to control my backlight so whenever an application uses VDPAU it resets my backlight to maximum. Is there anyway to disable it or access to it?. If so are there any major consequences to disabling it?
    You can easily disable it on an application level (because it is also enabled on an application level). Simply go into each multimedia application that might be using it and change the applications preferences setting for the output video mode from vdpau to xv or x11. I know of smplayer using it (and it being possible to tune MPlayer to use without the smplayer front end) but what other application? I don't think vlc, totem, xine, nor most other multimedia player use vdpau.

ie YOU need to be more specific as to what application you are referring to.

Sorry, I'm new, i.e. I don't know what alot of this stuff is. I read that it could mess with my brightness setting because (as you know) my implementation is unorthodox. I wanted to disable it or access to it as a preemptive, both in regards to applications I might acquire in the future and against possible adoptions of this feature by programs I already use. If this is not possible then, as you say, I will work around it; avoiding software that uses it or disabling it within the software. Thank you for the quick response.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FaiT View Post
    If this is not possible then, as you say, I will work around it; avoiding software that uses it or disabling it within the software. Thank you for the quick response.
    The odds are, you are NOT using vdpau at all. I don't know where you read vdpau would mess with a brightness setting ??

Anyway, what media players are you using ? The odds are ONLY mplayer and smplayer on your system 'might' be using vdapau and if they are the preferences should be easy to change.

Just as a side note to make it more complete flashplayer also uses vdpau if
    available.

--
    PC: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Core i7-2600@3.40GHz | KDE 4.6.0 | GeForce GT 420
    | 16GB Ram
    Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.6.5 | nVidia
    ION | 3GB Ram

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martin_helm View Post
    Just as a side note to make it more complete flashplayer also uses vdpau if
    available.
    Is that by default ?

Likely I'm not up to date on this, as I had thought that one had to edit /etc/adobe/mms.cfg and put this in it:
    Code:
    EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1
    and restart the browser for it to work (on some sites).

At least on my old PC this was enabled by default (I could verify that by
    seeing that no hardware acceleration was done at all in flash unless I
    installed the vdpau 32bit libraries then it was used, I installed a clean
    dual boot of its original vista and openSUSE 11.4 64 bit yesterday on it to
    give it away). I did not change the default settings in flash but I can see
    that hardware acceleration is ticked and vdpau was used as soon as it was
    there.

--
    | 16GB Ram
    ION | 3GB Ram

I read it in the same thread that told me how to get brightness working on my laptop. Before I started this thread I read wikipedia and noted these applications, I recognized almost all of them and also observed from the text that this "VDPAU" appeared to be a desirable feature. Thus I hypothesized that a greater (and unknown) set of programs would adopt this at unknown times in the future. I also lack any knowledge on how these (or future) programs incorporate this feature into their application (is it default?, can it be disabled via GUI?, if not how might it be deactivated?). I had no reason to think that the organizational structure pertaining to these programs regarding this feature would be identical or even similar and even if they were there is no guarentee that they would maintain access to a disablement option for VDPAU or that future applications would provide one. Additionally, should it become more popular, and especially if it is not easily disabled it may become tedious to go through every program which utilizes it every time I install my OS and/or it becomes reset in an update. All in all I thought upon posting this thread that if there was a way to simply disable VDPAU itself, or access to it, it would be easier and more effective then maintaining a list of problem programs and learning how to disable it in each one. If this is not possible, fine, thats what I'll do. I'll start by choosing alternatives and if I do use one (and VDPAU is set to default) then I'll figure out how to disable it. But if anyone does know how to safely "turn off" VDPAU that seems (at least to me) the better alternative.

Software supporting VDPAU

Boxee[12]
    GStreamer[13]
    MPlayer
    MythTV[14]
    XBMC Media Center[15][16][17]
    XBMC Live (Linux Live CD/USB operating-system)[15][16][18]
    Xine[19][20]
    MLT[21]
    Adobe Flash 10.2 Stage Video and later versions (32bit only presently) [22]

VDPAU can also be used as a backend for the Video Acceleration API (VA API) which itself covers a subset of VDPAU's capabilities; so any software that supports VA API also partly supports VDPAU (e.g., VLC media player)

I have no idea how serious the consequences are but you can of course
    uninstall vdpau.
    To see what is installed, open a terminal and type
    Code:
    rpm -qa '*vdpau*'
    this list the packages. You can try to uninstall them with yast, have a look
    what yast tells you when you select them for uninstalling, I cannot tell you
    if that will break some applications or not.

--
    | 16GB Ram
    ION | 3GB Ram

Thank you. I was of course hesitant to go that route, but I suppose I'll try and find some info on what I might expect if I did. If it looks ok then I'll try it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast