Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: information displaying on screen

Default information displaying on screen

Hello everybody , i hope i am posting this in the right place, correct me if im wrong.

Im new to linux go easy please.

Heres my deal ,, i have about 200 machines with opensuse11.4 KDE on them,, i would like certain information to stick to the background kinda like a
    widget type of thing that can not be removed by a user (no admin rights) and it has to start on machine boot up and also these pcs are continually moving to different spots in our building but on the same network so idk if that changes anything with configuring the ip address.... the only things that need to be visible are as fallows :

Host name
    User name
    IP address
    domain

so basically widgets are useless to me, unless somebody knows how to configure these the way i need them or maybe there is something better then widgets... i came here to get the right answer from all you geniuses out there instead of trying to hop around on google and whatnot..

let me know what my options are and how i can roll this out on 200 pc efficiently.

Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: information displaying on screen

You could write a script that echoes the required info to a textfile, then use 'wall' (run as root) to display it on the desktop as a system message. Now this can be clicked away, but you just create a cron job to run it periodically (so that it is re-displayed)

man wall for more info

i dont really know anything about scripts so it would be difficult for me to do this and also this needs to be on there at all times

You can use conky, configure it in /etc/conky/conky.conf (system wide) and run it as root, so that users cannot kill the process. Have a look at this thread: Conky question.

hummm conky looks like a good idea, is there any other solutions that might not take so long to preform on 200 pcs

so i took a look at conky ,,, it looked good so i tested it and it worked great, i need to put this whole process into a script so i can push it out to the 200 pcs ,,, how do i go about doing this, basically the script needs to install conky then edit its file to the code i need it to be ,,, i kinda looked at stuff about scripts, and got this far
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    clear
    echo "conky script"
    sudo zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/server:/monitoring/openSUSE_11.4/ server:monitoring
    sudo zypper in conky
    kdesu kwrite /etc/conky/conky.conf

does this look right so far ? if so what is my next step in entering the data into /etc/conky/conky.conf ????/

anybody ^^^^^^

To create a basic user or system conky.conf, you might want to try the conkyconf script in my repo. (see this post: Conky question).

To install conky from script, it's enough to run this as root:

Code:
    zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/11.4:/Contrib/standard/  openSUSE:Contrib
    zypper refresh
    zypper in conky
    To install conky, conkyconf and conkyweather, you can use this:
    Code:
    zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/11.4:/Contrib/standard/  openSUSE:Contrib
    zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/please_try_again/openSUSE_11.4/ PTA
    zypper refresh
    zypper in conkyconf
    Of course, you can put these commands in a script.

conky is available in several repos. I just noticed that the version in http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/server:/monitoring/openSUSE_11.4 is indeed newer. So you might want to use this one instead (I haven't so far).

ok i got that part, i was wondering as to how i can push this process out to 200 pcs,,,a scrip will work right ? make the script install conky then edits its config file ? i can push this script out to all 200 pcs . Correct ?

Quote Originally Posted by radys View Post
    ok i got that part, i was wondering as to how i can push this process out to 200 pcs,,,a scrip will work right ? make the script install conky then edits its config file ? i can push this script out to all 200 pcs . Correct ?
    Yes, of course.
    Insert the line:
    Code:
    #! /bin/bash
    make it executable
    Code:
    chmod 755 scriptname
    and run it as root.

But IMO you should also write a script to edit the config file on the 200 pcs (or use conkyconf or modify it so that it does what you want).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast