Wallpaper Covers Application Windows

Hi

I have updated to 11.4 and I have dual monitor setup with an NVIDIA card.

With 11.3 , before my upgrade , if I rebooted the PC then the dual monitor setup would be lost and I used the NVIDIA config utility to reset the second monitor. After that all was OK.

With 11.4 the problem is very different and so far I do not have a solution. On reboot the system resets to a single monitor BUT the wallpaper for that monitor covers the application windows. There are two applications that I have set for auto start and I know that they are running because if I use ALT TAB the windows appear and I can TAB between them. As soon as I release the ALT TAB combination they seem to fall behind the wallpaper and cannot be seen. The task bar is also hidden.

This means I cannot get to the NVIDIA utility to reset the monitors. I can start it from a desktop folder that is visible ( why ? ) , alt tab to it but it also falls behind the wallpaper. I would get a screen shot but without being able to see the application screen I am not sure how.

I am using a second machine , running 11.4 with a single monitor , to write this. I can ssh to other machine and use NFS , samba as well. So , all seems to be working but invisible.

Any hints please ?

BC

Hi

I have updated to 11.4 and I have dual monitor setup with an NVIDIA card.

With 11.3 , before my upgrade , if I rebooted the PC then the dual monitor setup would be lost and I used the NVIDIA config utility to reset the second monitor. After that all was OK.

With 11.4 the problem is very different and so far I do not have a solution. On reboot the system resets to a single monitor BUT the wallpaper for that monitor covers the application windows. There are two applications that I have set for auto start and I know that they are running because if I use ALT TAB the windows appear and I can TAB between them. As soon as I release the ALT TAB combination they seem to fall behind the wallpaper and cannot be seen. The task bar is also hidden.

This means I cannot get to the NVIDIA utility to reset the monitors. I can start it from a desktop folder that is visible ( why ? ) , alt tab to it but it also falls behind the wallpaper. I would get a screen shot but without being able to see the application screen I am not sure how.

I am using a second machine , running 11.4 with a single monitor , to write this. I can ssh to other machine and use NFS , samba as well. So , all seems to be working but invisible.

Any hints please ?

BC

You did not mention the Desktop that you use. I use KDE, have nVIDIA and can connect two monitors, but I have not seen this issue and not sure I understand how the Desktop image could be on to of running applications, it does sound very strange. Does the menu bar also exist behind the desktop image? Can you do Ctrl-Alt-F1 (To go to a Terminal Session) and then Ctrl-Alt-F7 (To return back to the desktop)? You can start desktop program from a terminal session using the terminal command /usr/bin/dbus-launch in front of its name if the app will not start from a terminal session (like /usr/bin/dbus-launch kwrite for instance). Just a few questions to answer.

Thank You,

Hi

KDE desktop. Ctrl-Alt-F1 does work , I use that reboot the system. Have not tried the Ctrl-Alt-F7 , I will when I get home.

I also have yakuake started and its window comes to the foreground when I press F12 , from there I can work in terminal mode, start apps etc. Started apps all move behind the wallpaper.

I do not know if the menu bar is there. I might be.

BC

Hi

KDE desktop. Ctrl-Alt-F1 does work , I use that reboot the system. Have not tried the Ctrl-Alt-F7 , I will when I get home.

I also have yakuake started and its window comes to the foreground when I press F12 , from there I can work in terminal mode, start apps etc. Started apps all move behind the wallpaper.

I do not know if the menu bar is there. I might be.

BC

So, let us know when you check back at the PC with the problem. My thoughts are a bad load or perhaps a bad video driver install. If I had no success, I would just reload openSUSE and try again, but that is just me.

Thank You,

Hi

I changed my google search terms to “windows behind desktop background” and found that this is a KDE bug. The bug reference is here :

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=260360

I was searching for “windows behind wallpaper” which did not find the bug report. Hope it gets fixed soon.

BC

Thanks.