Adding repositories without internet

First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong section, I wasn’t really sure where a question like this was suppose to go.

Here’s the rundown:

I have a problem with my wireless internet, my chipset went into the kernel in 2.6.38 and my kernel is version 2.6.37. I know what I have to do, which is add the repository from Index of /repositories/driver:/wireless/openSUSE_11.4 there. Then I have to go into Yast and get the compat-wireless-kmp-desktop-2.6.38.2_k2.6.37.1_1.2-2.1.i586.rpm I do believe. From then, I can do the ‘sudo/sbin/modprobe -v rtl8192ce’ command my wireless should be availabe.

However, with no internet connection, I’m not sure how to add a repository. I’m a bit of a noob to Linux but I’m just unsure of a way. I tried just going in and downloading the compat-wireless-kmp-desktop-2.6.38.2_k2.6.37.1_1.2-2.1.i586.rpm file and putting it on my external harddrive and trying to install it that way. But it said something about there was no dependency so it couldn’t install the file.

Am I missing something here or is there another way I can do this without the use of internet in OpenSuse? Thanks.

Btw, before anyone says use wireless, it’s not possible at the moment, but I’ll make it happen if it’s a last resort. I want to fix this problem, but I’m also curious about the question at hand for knowledge and possible future use. Thanks!

I do not think that adding the repo to your repo list with YaST is the problem (you only have to enter the details in YaST > Software > Repositorty management and then the Add button lower left and then a nice name in the first line and the URL you mentioned above in the second line). The problem is that you then need access to that repo via the net to install what you want. And you can not reach that repo (or any other one on the net).

Actually I think that is exactly the problem. Is there a way to work around this?

Assuming you can’t plug in a LAN cable…
If you can download the rpm via a different machine you should be able to install it.
You may have to add your folder as a local repo.
If there are missing dependencies you would have to find out which. Dunno how, maybe right-click and then something…
Extreme measure: Download the DVD-Image, Burn a DVD and add the DVD as Repo, call for yast…

Download the rpm from the repo (go to the URL and drill downuntil you find it, it is in here: Index of /repositories/driver:/wireless/openSUSE_11.4/i586 ) on another system (every OS allowed :wink: ), copy to your real system (USB stick, floppy?) and install (click on it, most probably YaST will be called to do it).

On openSUSE 11.4 KDE by default kpackagekit is called to do it and it can do some crazy things so I would say

rpm -i package_name.rpm

is much safer.

@OP
Please note that You have to be in the same directory as You downloaded the package in order for the above to work.

Best regards,
Greg

That will only work if the package has no dependencies (or if there are already installed).

True sorry for not stating that. Is there a command to install one local rpm using zypper and with satisfying the dependencies ?

Best regards,
Greg

Put the packages in /var/cache/zypper/RPMS and use

zypper in package_name.rpm

zypper should install the dependencies from its cache directory.

Best regards,
Greg

Well, here’s the issue when I tried your solution.

I went into “var” and found “cache” but then when I tried looking for “zypper”, it didn’t exist. The closest thing there was, was “zypp” which I assumed was probably the same thing so I went in and checked it out. However, the only files in there were “raw”, “solv” and something else that I can’t remember off the top of my head. Point is, none of them were called “RPMS”. So, I thought maybe I needed to create the file since I hadn’t installed any RPMS prior to, maybe it had not created the folder yet. But when I right clicked I saw that “create a new folder” was greyed out and that I did not have permission.

I also just tried to move the .rpm file into the “zypp” folder to see what would happen, but I found that permission was denied there as well.

Got any ideas or ways to fix this? It sucks having opensuse installed and not being able to do anything.

Thanks!

zypper is a command (as you should have seen from the commands offered you above), thus you do not try to find it, but you execute it by typing the command. Believe me it is there, you can check it with

which zypper

and that again is a command to type, so do not say you can not find* which*.

Of course all those directories are owned by root and a normal user can not go there to move files. You become root by typing

su -

But be aware, as root you may make no errors! you can bork your system completely.

I have that directory, see:

boven:/var/cache # ls -l /var/cache/zypper/RPMS/
total 22460
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 22997226 Jun  2 11:47 skype-2.2.0.25-suse.i586.rpm
boven:/var/cache #

and it does contain an RPM as you see. When * /var/cache/zypper/RPMS/* does not exist, create it. Do so as root:

mkdir -p  /var/cache/zypper/RPMS/

And then move the RPM file by

mv ......rpm  /var/cache/zypper/RPMS/

where you fill in the … of course.

Ok, maybe I am a bit of a moron, but I still seem to be having issues, though I am getting closer to resolving the issue.

I went into terminal and became root user with

su -

Then, I moved the compat-wireless-kmp-desktop-2.6.38.2_k2.6.37.1_1.2-2.1.i586.rpm file into /var/cache/zypper/RPMS/

However, when i try to do

zypper in /var/cache/zypper/RPMS/compat-wireless-kmp-desktop-2.6.38.2_k2.6.37.1_1.2-2.1.i586.rpm

it gives me an error and tells that there was an error with trying to copy the file into its cache, and tells me maybe I am running out of disk space. I don’t see how that’s possible because I have 94GB of free space. Then it tells me it skipped the command and then its over.

So, I have the file copied into the correct location I do believe, but I can’t seem to install it.

You should not install packages directly from cache. Copy the package to /tmp and install it from there.

su -l 
cp /var/cache/zypper/RPMS/compat-wireless-kmp-desktop-2.6.38.2_k2.6.37.1_1.2-2.1.i586.rpm /tmp
cd /tmp
zypper in compat-wireless-kmp-desktop-2.6.38.2_k2.6.37.1_1.2-2.1.i586.rpm

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 18:26:02 GMT, ethanftw
<ethanftw@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
>please_try_again;2366845 Wrote:
>> Put the packages in /var/cache/zypper/RPMS and use
>>
>> >
>Code:
>--------------------
> > > zypper in package_name.rpm
>--------------------
>> >
>>
>> zypper should install the dependencies from its cache directory.
>
>Well, here’s the issue when I tried your solution.
>
>I went into “var” and found “cache” but then when I tried looking for
>“zypper”, it didn’t exist. The closest thing there was, was “zypp” which
>I assumed was probably the same thing so I went in and checked it out.
>However, the only files in there were “raw”, “solv” and something else
>that I can’t remember off the top of my head. Point is, none of them
>were called “RPMS”. So, I thought maybe I needed to create the file
>since I hadn’t installed any RPMS prior to, maybe it had not created the
>folder yet. But when I right clicked I saw that “create a new folder”
>was greyed out and that I did not have permission.
>
>I also just tried to move the .rpm file into the “zypp” folder to see
>what would happen, but I found that permission was denied there as well.
>
>Got any ideas or ways to fix this? It sucks having opensuse installed
>and not being able to do anything.
>
>Thanks!

There is another way. You need about 150 GB of disk and many hours to
download the whole bloody repository. Then you will have all the stuff to
satisfy all the dependencies. Add the now local repo on your disk with
yast or zypper and install your new kernel.

Oh, installing from a local disk is much faster as well.

?-)