Thread: KWin refuses to enable desktop effects

Default KWin refuses to enable desktop effects

suse 11.4 tumbleweed, kde 4.6.5, on laptop dell latitude E6510, with intel i7, 4Mb ram, NVIDIA 3100
    Yesterday all effects was working well, no update and no changes, and today I dont know why but plasma crashed at startup, after a couple of try I login on gnome and renamed /home/.kde4 folder, now kde starts but when I try to enable some effects, cube, wabbling windows and others, kwin message appear sayng that effects cannot be enabled.
    suggestions???
    thnx :-) pla

Default Re: KWin refuses to enable desktop effects

There is a Tumbleweed subforum here. Why didn't you post there? More change that fellow Tumbleweed users read it.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pier_andreit View Post
    suse 11.4 tumbleweed, kde 4.6.5, on laptop dell latitude E6510, with intel i7, 4Mb ram, NVIDIA 3100
    Yesterday all effects was working well, no update and no changes, and today I dont know why but plasma crashed at startup, after a couple of try I login on gnome and renamed /home/.kde4 folder, now kde starts but when I try to enable some effects, cube, wabbling windows and others, kwin message appear sayng that effects cannot be enabled.
    suggestions???
    thnx :-) pla
    No updates? I had a lot of them this morning, amongst which......a new kernel. That would break the NVIDIA driver. When running Tumbleweed and running into graphics problems, first check this. Can you post the output of
    Code:
    uname
    -a ? And run
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep direct
    and post the output as well.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    No updates? I had a lot of them this morning, amongst which......a new kernel. That would break the NVIDIA driver. When running Tumbleweed and running into graphics problems, first check this.
    No updates from now (not working situation) and previous (working situation), I'm running tumbleweed but disabled automatic updates and tabooed kernel, when I have time to risk I use SAKC :-))
    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Can you post the output of
    here is:

pla@linux-y7c9:~> glxinfo | grep direct
    X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
    Major opcode of failed request: 138 (NV-GLX)
    Minor opcode of failed request: 4 ()
    Resource id in failed request: 0x6800002
    Serial number of failed request: 31
    Current serial number in output stream: 31
    pla@linux-y7c9:~> uname -a
    Linux linux-y7c9.site 2.6.37.1-1.2-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2011-02-21 10:34:10 +0100 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

thnx pla:-)