Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: EXT4 group descriptors corrupted

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: EXT4 group descriptors corrupted

    On 2011-08-02 22:46, Argoson wrote:

    > What do you think about these 'instructions'
    > (http://tinyurl.com/3sgayxw) ?


    I don't see how he figured out that such file number was such name - unless
    the corrupted names were only the first level.


    It seems that ext4 can get royally corrupted. That was the prerogative or
    reiserfs... progress :-(

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Posts
    148

    Default Re: EXT4 group descriptors corrupted

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    I don't see how he figured out that such file number was such name - unless
    the corrupted names were only the first level.


    It seems that ext4 can get royally corrupted. That was the prerogative or
    reiserfs... progress :-(

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)
    The numbers are just for the top level folders. inside the files retain their original names, so i managed to recover what i needed easily. i'm very happy.

    I agree about how EXT4 corrupts. the last crash i had i was surprised how easily the file system got unusable. In that matter - at least in my experience - windows' NTFS (and even older FAT/FAT32) is much stable. the OS can go bonkers but you can just take out the HD and recover the files easily.
    WE ARE LINUX... RESISTANCE IS FUTILE !!
    openSUSE 13.1, KDE
    2 daughters, 1 Dog, lots of passion for Linux

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: EXT4 group descriptors corrupted

    On 2011-08-03 19:16, Argoson wrote:
    > I agree about how EXT4 corrupts. the last crash i had i was surprised
    > how easily the file system got unusable. In that matter - at least in my
    > experience - windows' NTFS (and even older FAT/FAT32) is much stable.
    > the OS can go bonkers but you can just take out the HD and recover the
    > files easily.


    Ext4 is relatively new, you can use ext3 instead.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Posts
    148

    Default Re: EXT4 group descriptors corrupted

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post

    Ext4 is relatively new, you can use ext3 instead.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)
    so you recommend that i format to ext3 when installing a new system or formating a partition , instead of ext4 ?
    WE ARE LINUX... RESISTANCE IS FUTILE !!
    openSUSE 13.1, KDE
    2 daughters, 1 Dog, lots of passion for Linux

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UTC+10
    Posts
    9,683
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: EXT4 group descriptors corrupted

    Ext4's been released since Dec 2008. I've used it for a couple of years with no issues. But maybe for some people that's still too short.

    Maybe it's less resistant to directory loss due to bad blocks, but I think there are more serious things at stake when you have bad blocks.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: EXT4 group descriptors corrupted

    On 2011-08-05 02:56, Argoson wrote:

    > so you recommend that i format to ext3 when installing a new system or
    > formating a partition , instead of ext4 ?


    No, I can't recommend that, you make your own choices. Me, I do not use
    ext4 on important things yet. You consider the advantages and disadvantages
    and risks, and choose.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  7. #17

    Default Re: EXT4 group descriptors corrupted

    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Have you tried to fsck the drive?

    If not something like this as root may fix things: fsck.ext4 -y -f /dev/sdb1

    It may take quite a while to run so just let it do it's thing

    Incidentally if you have the drive as a persistent mount wouldn't it be better to use the drive as internal rather than usb?

    Personally I wouldn't persistently mount a usb drive as they just aren't reliable enough and if anything 'breaks' the usb connection while it's being written like the lead getting slightly dislodged for example, you can end up with filesystem corruption, and it very much looks like that's what might have happened in your case
    Hello, I'm having the same problem.I am getting grub rescue when booting from hard drive. I tried ls commands, but wasn't able to access (hd0,msdos1) etc. I am now using usb 12.04 using terminal. I tried fsck and comes up with emergency help screen. One option is -p (automatic repair) tried this and came back (command not found)

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: EXT4 group descriptors corrupted

    On 2014-01-18 06:56, moonman555 wrote:

    > Hello, I'm having the same problem.I am getting grub rescue when booting
    > from hard drive.


    If you are getting the error at grub prompt, it is not the same problem.
    It is better, I think, that you create a new thread with details,
    instead of tagging on a thread that is 3 years old.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 12.3 x86_64 "Dartmouth" at Telcontar)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •