Thread: No audio for ICH7 snd-hda-intel on openSUSE 11.2

Default No audio for ICH7 snd-hda-intel on openSUSE 11.2

I have exhausted every single option for trying to resolve this without posting a new thread. I have gone through so many different things. Anyway, here is what is happening: This is a Dell Optiplex 380 desktop with an ICH7 family 82801G sound card. If I install openSUSE 11.3 or HIGHER, the OS will properly auto-configure the card and the sound is fine. However, 11.3 or higher also has an issue playing back full-screen flash video as well as 11.2 (may be a 64-bit related issue?). I suspect that the problem lies somewhere in the fact that this PC was produced considerably after the release of oS 11.2 so it's not detecting the card right. I have gone so far as to enable a repo newer than the SUSE version to attempt to upgrade the ALSA components. Anyway.

I guess what I can do is throw in a live CD for 11.3 or 4 and go into YaST or 50-sound.conf and try to see what's going on or just copy it to a flash drive. I have a feeling that might get me farther than jerking around with this any longer. I will post this regardless and let you know what I find. But if you do have a 99% guaranteed answer, I would still like to read it.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: No audio for ICH7 snd-hda-intel on openSUSE 11.2

Check out message #22 about updating Flash.

Fix your flash in 11.4 _64 with flash square - Page 3

To get an older and unsupported version of openSUSE working is not going to be a good option while getting the most recent version to work with Flash is possible,

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: No audio for ICH7 snd-hda-intel on openSUSE 11.2

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    Check out message #22 about updating Flash.

Fix your flash in 11.4 _64 with flash square - Page 3

To get an older and unsupported version of openSUSE working is not going to be a good option while getting the most recent version to work with Flash is possible,

Thank You,
    I tried Adobe's 64-bit version 11 today in oS 11.4 with no success. Full-screen looked absolutely terrible with interlacing effects and freezing up. Unfortunately, I did not have success going into YaST with the live CD either. It lists a lot more options for the sound card but none have a value anyway. I opened up the config file and found nothing dissimilar from the one I have on 11.2. So at this point, it's a quagmire. I'm stuck with good flash video and only onboard sound or horrible flash and full sound support.

UPDATE: Extracting driver from .exe; help needed

OK, I was told once upon a time in the course of attempting to solve a driver problem that I could download the Windows driver for my soundcard and extract the necessary file(s) which I could then implant to my SUSE system. I have obtained the Windows driver in .exe format and opened it in Ark (It is a zip archive.). I am not sure what I am looking for in there. Can someone tell me what file(s) I need to get out of there?

Blog Entries

Smile Re: No audio for ICH7 snd-hda-intel on openSUSE 11.2

OK, I was told once upon a time in the course of attempting to solve a driver problem that I could download the Windows driver for my soundcard and extract the necessary file(s) which I could then implant to my SUSE system. I have obtained the Windows driver in .exe format and opened it in Ark (It is a zip archive.). I am not sure what I am looking for in there. Can someone tell me what file(s) I need to get out of there?
    That would be using ndiswrapper, but that’s mainly intended to get network adapters to work, like wireless. I am not sure it will help with sound and you would kind of be on your own doing that I would say. Back when 11.2 was supported, the fix would have been to load the most recent version of YaST, YaST Sound and Alsa, which did the trick for me way back when. But version 11.3 of openSUSE is as far back as you can go. I still think going forward and fixing flash through video driver and sound codecs perhaps might turn out better.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Blog Entries

I can't understand the 1st post wrt sound. Why is it you believe this is a 'sound' problem ?