Conky question

Hello All ,

I am new here, first day, i am also new to opensuse, i would like to set up a conky setting at my work so when employees call me for questions they can just give me the info that is visually on the screen from conky that i want instead of having them look for it, i have done some conky in ubuntu , it is very easy , just install it then enter codes in the text editor, and BAM done, now on opensuse looking at this thread Conky - Hardware Monitor it looks ALOT harder, is there a easier way around this big mess of codes and what not.

Thanks in advance.

Hi
Just create the same config files as in Ub* it all depends on how you want it formatted.

well in ubuntu all i did was enter this code

sudo apt-get install conky

to install it ,then this

gedit ~/.conkyrc

to open the file so i can put conky codes in it that i got off of ubuntu forums … this exact process will work for open suse 11.4 KDE ?

Hi
Similar, but you need to add a repository, we have the 1-click method here;

Grab the version from the “server:monitoring” repository (4th one down) and to the right select the 1-click
software.opensuse.org: Search Results

This will add the repository and install conky.

Or from the command line;

sudo zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/server:/monitoring/openSUSE_11.4/ server:monitoring
sudo zypper in conky

oh ok cool , what do i do to access the file where i imput the code, and how would i start it , just go in terminal and type conky ?

May I suggest:

[noparse]
su -l
zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/11.4:/Contrib/standard/ openSUSE:Contrib
zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/please_try_again/openSUSE_11.4/ PTA
zypper refresh
zypper in conkyconf[/noparse]

It will install conky by dependencies (but I didn’t know that it was not in the standard repo). So I might have to branch it in my repo.

Look at the options with:

conkyconf -h

To create a good basic conky configuration file at a system level (/etc/conky/conky.conf), use:

conkyconf -s 

To create a good basic conky configuration file at a user level (~/.conkyrc), use:

conkyconf -s 

To create a basic configuration file which can use transparency under KDE or Gnome (with compositing enabled), add the option -k. When used at a system level, it will create the file /etc/conky/conky.conf.kde.

Once you have a configuration file to start with, you can edit it with a text editor. See the full conky documentation: Conky - Documentation

Look at this other post: Good application for reviewing and monitoring/overclocking system?
You can also see some screenshots in this post (which wasn’t about conky): Thèmes et couleurs d’OpenOffice/LIbreOffice

• I’ll have to start a thread and post this script … at some point.

Hi
The same way you would on Ub*

conky

and

gedit ~/.conkyrc

I have a start/stop script sitting in ~/bin starting multiple conky processes

#!/bin/sh
#Simple script to start conky

CONKY_BIN=/usr/bin/conky
test -x $CONKY_BIN || { echo "$CONKY_BIN not installed"; 
	if  "$1" = "stop" ]; then exit 0;
	else exit 5; fi; }

# Check for existence of needed config file and read it
CONKY_CONFIG0=~/.conky/weather
CONKY_CONFIG1=~/.conky/calendar
CONKY_CONFIG2=~/.conky/environment
CONKY_CONFIG3=~/.conky/system

test -r $CONKY_CONFIG0 || { echo "$CONKY_CONFIG0 not existing";
	else exit 6; fi; }

test -r $CONKY_CONFIG1 || { echo "$CONKY_CONFIG1 not existing";
	else exit 6; fi; }

test -r $CONKY_CONFIG2 || { echo "$CONKY_CONFIG2 not existing";
	else exit 6; fi; }

test -r $CONKY_CONFIG3 || { echo "$CONKY_CONFIG3 not existing";
        else exit 6; fi; }

case "$1" in
    start)
        $CONKY_BIN -c $CONKY_CONFIG0 &> /dev/null
		$CONKY_BIN -c $CONKY_CONFIG1 &> /dev/null
		$CONKY_BIN -c $CONKY_CONFIG2 &> /dev/null
		$CONKY_BIN -c $CONKY_CONFIG3 &> /dev/null
    	;;
    stop)
        killall $CONKY_BIN
	;;
     *)
	echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop}"
	exit 1
	;;
esac

And here’s a script that sill start only a single conky process: :wink:

#! /bin/bash

sysconf=/etc/conky/conky.conf.kde
userconf=$HOME/.conkyrc.kde

for conf in $sysconf $userconf ; do
         -f $conf ] && cfg="-c $conf"
done

ps -C plasma-desktop && { 
 "$(kreadconfig --file kwinrc --group Compositing --key Enabled)" == "false" ] && exit
config=$cfg
}
#ps -C xfce4-panel && config=$cfg
#ps -C gnome-panel && config=$cfg

ps nc -C conky >/dev/null || conky $config

It also won’t start conky under KDE without compositioing (just because it looks ugly).

ok so typing conky make its run , so thats good but doing gedit ~/.conkyrc gives me an error , i would like to put in a code that only displays

Host Name : (computer name)
User Name : (whos log on)
IP Address :
Domain :

can somebody help with this ? oh and it needs to automatically run when the machine is fully booted up. Any suggestions ?

Hi
Whatever config you used in Ub* will work with openSUSE?

Hi
Something like the following in your default conkyrc after TEXT;

Hostname:   ${nodename}
User:       ${exec whoami}
IP Address: ${addr eth0}
Domain:     ${exec hostname -d}

wow sweet thanks, so when i go in root folder and open ect/conky i have three text editors

1- conky.conf
2- conky.lua
3- conky_no_x11.conf

which do i chose to enter my code into ?

Hi
/etc/conky/conky.conf, you will probably need to tweak the default configuration settings.

ok so when i try to save it under that i get a error message saying “the document could not be saved, as it was not possible to write to ect/conky/conky.conf
check that you have write access to this file or that enough disk space is available.”

now what do i do :frowning:

Hi
To edit that one you need to be root user…

dang this really sux, none of this is working for me

Hi
Ok, download the following config to your home directory and call it say test_conky, then run;

conky -D -c conky_test

Config here: SUSE Paste

oh wow its working now, sick thanks so much , how do i get it to run on startup ?

Hi
So if you backup the existing /etc/conky/conky.conf then cp the conky_test to /etc/conky/ and call it conky.conf

sudo mv /etc/conky/conky.conf /etc/conky/orig_conky.conf
sudo mv ~/conky_test /etc/conky/conky.conf

That’s assuming you have that test file in you home directory, you will need to change as appropriate.

Then to test, just run the command conky and it should use that, else use one of the scripts earlier on to start it…

i went back in and edited the original file and it worked, so i didnt do the conky test thing , but i did use your paste code thing, will it run on startup automatically ?