Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [openSuse 11.4] - Strange issues with a Lenovo T510

Default Re: [openSuse 11.4] - Strange issues with a Lenovo T510

Quote Originally Posted by Ashina View Post
    This Lenovo does have hybrid graphics, an Intel Integrated Graphics and a Nvidia NVS3100M.
    Okay, nVidia Optimus doesn't seems to be supported on Linux, as nVidia isn't developing any packages for it.
    As I won't use this laptop for huge graphic work or games, I would like to tell to openSuse how to use Intel Integrated Graphics only.

Still trying to figure this out, and here's the result of command /sbin/lspci -nnk:

Code:
    aswi@cor-nb7-15c:~/Desktop> /sbin/lspci -nnk

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation GT218 [NVS 3100M] [10de:0a6c] (rev a2)
    	Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:215c]
    	Kernel driver in use: nouveau
    01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller [10de:0be3] (rev a1)
    	Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:218f]
    	Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
    I guess that the driver loaded for nVidia card is not the proprietary nVidia one, right ?
    And I don't see anything about Intel Integrated Graphics chip.

Blog Entries

Still trying to figure this out, and here's the result of command /sbin/lspci -nnk:

Code:
    aswi@cor-nb7-15c:~/Desktop> /sbin/lspci -nnk

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation GT218 [NVS 3100M] [10de:0a6c] (rev a2)
    01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller [10de:0be3] (rev a1)
    	Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:218f]
    	Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
    I guess that the driver loaded for nVidia card is not the proprietary nVidia one, right ?
    And I don't see anything about Intel Integrated Graphics chip.
    The driver loaded is 'nouveau' which is the latest open source driver. The proprietary driver would appear as 'nvidia'.

Indeed ! It (the integrated graphics chip) should be there if it is hybrid graphics.

Can you instead provide the output of:
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2
    Note GNU/Linux is case sensitive.

Somem PC's with hybrid graphics provide the capability to enable/disable the other graphic device in BIOS. Have you looked in BIOS ?

Blog Entries

Okay, nVidia Optimus doesn't seems to be supported on Linux, as nVidia isn't developing any packages for it.
    Please refresh my memory. By Optimus you are refering to the power management ? The GT218 (which is a GeForce 210 series) should be supported by the proprietary nvidia video driver, but the special power management may not work in GNU/Linux with that proprietary (for GNU/Linux) driver.

Okay, sorry, I forgot to get input of the command in VGA pipe...

Code:
    aswi@cor-nb7-15c:~/Desktop> /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2

Nothing more...
    I looked in BIOS first, as I'm quite lazy But unfortunately, the Lenovo BIOS is... just too simplistic to set that.

Optimus is the name given by nVidia to their technology which manages hybrid graphics: enabling Intel GPU to spare battery or enabling nVidia GPU to get high graphic performances.
    You could call it "Power management", but it's not only that; it's more an automated technology to switch between intergrated and nVidia GPU to optimize both graphics and power.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/optimus_technology.html

AMD/ATI has a similar technology, but I can't remember the name...

Blog Entries

Code:
    aswi@cor-nb7-15c:~/Desktop> /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2

Nothing more...

It appears then that the Intel Graphic is disabled. If not in BIOS then I don't know where. Possibly it can not be enabled ? Likely you need to research your hardware and tell us. Can it be enabled in another OS ? (such as Windows7) ?

Did you look at the Thinkwiki for your Lenovo T210 ? - Category:T510 - ThinkWiki That is a GNU/Linux specific page with lots of good links.

For the NVIDIA Quadro NVS 3100M you could look here: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 3100M - ThinkWiki

Blog Entries

As I won't use this laptop for huge graphic work or games, I would like to tell to openSuse how to use Intel Integrated Graphics only.
    There is a thread here: Asus 1215n GPU switching on ubuntu HELP - nV News Forums (which I have not fully read) explaining how to shut off the nvidia card with acpi calls, however given the Intel graphics are not recognized I would be very cautious if one is to try that.

Edit: this is probably a better thread to look at here: http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

I recommend you look into "Bumblebee" for GNU/Linux. I ran across this post: Bumblebee brings nvidia optimus GPU switching to Linux users | OMG! Ubuntu!

Where in turn for openSUSE-11.4 someone has packaged this: software.opensuse.org: Search Results and I quote:
    Bumblebee is Optimus support for Linux, with real offloading, and not
    switchable graphics.. More important.. it works on Optimus Laptops without a
    graphical multiplexer..
    My wife is calling me to go shopping, so I have to run. But you could research on that, and possible create a guide if you figure it out. I also posted something similar in another 'Optimus' thread.

Blog Entries

I also note someone has posted a guide re: bumblebee here: Getting maximum battery time from an ASUS eeePC 1015pn

Blog Entries

Reference bumblebee, I think originally it was referred to as 'prime-ng' and then later renamed to bumblebee. There is a Phoronix article about it here: [Phoronix] NVIDIA Optimus Unofficially Comes To Linux

which references the developers blog here:
    Optimus on Linux Problem Solved | Martin Juhl's Blog

Thank you for all these ! I'll give it a try.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12