Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reading HFS+ on 11.4?

Default Reading HFS+ on 11.4?

Hi,
    I just decided to learn how to use opensuse(total newbie), I installed 11.4 on my macbook along with os x. At first I used to be able to read the two HFS+ partitions on the laptop after entering the password. But after looking up how to configure the system on the macbook(sound, grahpics....etc) I dunno if I messed up something or what, now I get this error whenever I try to mount the HFS+ partitions( I am still asked for authorization though):

An error occurred while accessing 'Data', the system responded: org.freedesktop.UDisks.Error.Failed:Requested filesystem type is neither wll-known nor in /proc/filesystems nor in /etc/filesystems

Anyone can help?

Thanks

Default Re: Reading HFS+ on 11.4?

What about adding a line like :
    Code:
    hfs
    in the /etc/filesystems file ?

Or what about a install of the package hfs-utils
    HP Z420 Intel Xeon & Lenovo T440s Intel I7vPro
    openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE
    Raspberry PI3 met openSUSE TW en Raspbian
    Linux counter #241023

Quote Originally Posted by Christophe_deR View Post
    What about adding a line like :
    Code:
    hfs
    in the /etc/filesystems file ?
    I guess that simply adding that line does not install the software to support it. @Benmh's advice looks much beter to me. And you better do not change such system files like /etc/filesystems without having a very good reason and much understanding.
    Henk van Velden

Actually, HFS is is there already in the filesystem I checked it the second I got the error. At the beginning when I installed the OS, it used to read HFS(+) by default. Though now I dunno what I did to screw things up, that's why I thought that it might be better to fix what I ruined instead of trying to install something new

Quote Originally Posted by Ridiculus View Post
    Actually, HFS is is there already in the filesystem I checked it the second I got the error. At the beginning when I installed the OS, it used to read HFS(+) by default. Though now I dunno what I did to screw things up, that's why I thought that it might be better to fix what I ruined instead of trying to install something new
    It is a bit difficult for innocent people like us to find out what you did if you do not know yourself.

Always take notes when you are changing the system.
    Henk van Velden

sorry, I am new to this, I just assumed that there would be a magic way to check . I installed hfsutils, I still get the same kind of error.

Linux has read only support for journaled hfs+. Some people were able to mount hfs+ partitions read/write after disabling journaling under Mac OSX. You'll find posts about this topic in the forum. I never tried. To mount hfs+ from Linux on my iMac, I use the following line in /etc/fstab:

Code:
    UUID=ccbbbd94-deb6-3a95-aadf-531952d1af33    /mac                               hfsplus       acl,user_xattr                   0   0
    where the partition is mounted by UUID in the mount point /mac. But you don't have to use this notation (although it never hurt). Use blkid under Linux to find out UUIDs. Your Mac partition should have the type "hfsplus".

I still get the same error, I also tried

Code:
     /dev/disk/by-id/ata-Hitachi_HTS545016B9SA02_090604PBDB00QCGHP31H-part2  /mnt           hfs       acl,user_xattr       0 0
    I tried changing the mount point, hfsplus to hfs. But nothing changed :/

you should use hfsplus as fs type, not hfs !
    And don't use /mnt as fixed mount point in /etc/fstab! Create a directory and use it as mount point for your hfsplus partition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast