Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading from 11.1 to 11.4 -- questions about migrating my KDE 3.5 KMail

Default Upgrading from 11.1 to 11.4 -- questions about migrating my KDE 3.5 KMail

Hello, everyone. I am now using SuSE 11.1 with KMail 1.9.10 (KDE 3.5.10 "release 21.13.1" open SUSE).

My intention is to do a clean install of 11.4 from purchased DVD and then migrate (import) all of my personal files from a backup.

I have not yet seen either SuSE 11.4 or KDE4, so I am unfamiliar with any changes to the folders and files, how they may have been named, where they're located in 11.4, etc.

In oder to copy my backed up KDE 3.5 KMail into the newly installed SuSE 11.4/KDE4 KMail, will the following folders and files go into folders and files named the same in 11.4/KDE4, or will the folders and files for the new KMail be named differently and/or be located differently?

/home/<my name>/.kde/share/apps/kmail (my e-mails)
    /home/<my name>/.kde/share/apps/kabc/ (address book)
    /home/<my name>/.kde/share/config/kaddressbookrc (address book settings)
    /home/<my name>/.kde/share/config/kmailrc (kmail settings)

Are there any issues I need to be aware of in migrating the KDE 3.5 Kmail materials into 11.4/KDE4? Or will this be as simple as when I upgraded from 11.0 to 11.1?

Many Thanks.
    socref

Default Re: Upgrading from 11.1 to 11.4 -- questions about migrating my KDE 3.5 KMail

It is allready some time ago I migrated from KDE3 to KDE4. That was with an upgrade of I guess openSUSE 11.1 to openSUSE 11.2.
    In my case I did keep /home (was on a seperate partition to make that easy). When a user started then KDE4 for the first time (and that includes Kmail for me, it found the old configuration files in ~/.kde and used them to create new one in ~/.kde4. And thus, as far as I can remember, the whole conversion was rather painleess.

But in the meantime you want to bridge a much larger gap, thus I do not know if this upwards compatibility is still available.
    Henk van Velden

Default Re: Upgrading from 11.1 to 11.4 -- questions about migrating my KDE 3.5 KMail

From memory you shouldn't have too many issues.

The way I did it was to firstly use the mbox format for your email folders. So make equiivalent mbox email folders and copy the emails across. So for example make a new folder (using the mbox folder type option) called say back_up_sent then copy the emails in your sent folder to this. If you then simply make a copy of the folders - you can drop them into your 11.4 system at .kde4/share/apps/kmail/mail.

For your address book - export this as a csv file and then import it to your 11.4 system.

Your settings will most likely need to be redone. From memory I think that the formats have changed. Again from memory for example kmailric and emailidentities includes both you pop and smtp fields but smtp is now included under mailtransports.

It is possible install the kde 3 version of kmail with opensuse 11.4 kde4. Just add the repo:-

Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE3/openSUSE_11.4

You can then carry on using the kde 3 version of kmail and migrate across to the kde 4 version at your leisure. On installing kde pim it will create a .kde folder in a similiar format to 11.1.

Quote Originally Posted by dth2 View Post

(snip)

For your address book - export this as a csv file and then import it to your 11.4 system.
    Many thanks. What is "csv mentioned in sentence above?"

Thx
    socref

Actually a better idea is to export your address book as a Vcard and also for safety sake as a ldif address book.

Thanks, everyone, for the replies.

I ask again, what is the "csv" mentioned in dtn2's reply above?
    socref

Quote Originally Posted by socref View Post
    Thanks, everyone, for the replies.

I ask again, what is the "csv" mentioned in dtn2's reply above?
    socref
    Comma-separated values - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Henk van Velden

Thank you, Henk!

socref

Quote Originally Posted by dth2 View Post
    Actually a better idea is to export your address book as a Vcard and also for safety sake as a ldif address book.
    Hi. Really sorry, but I'm just stumped and at an impasse. I have KMail running in 11.4 and I was able to import all of my messages from the previous 11.1 setup. But I cannot figure out how to import my address book and the mailing lists.

I see in KMail that there is a place to click to import CSV and LIDF and VCard, but I have no idea how to create such formats from my kabc folder.

In the kabc folder I have a total of 21 files listed as "std.vcf_<number>."

I assume (?) I do not need to import all of them, just the one numbered 20.

I also have a file in this folder called "distlists." I assume (?) that this contains my mailing lists for the address book.

And I have two files in a folder called "lock." No idea what those are.

I've looked in the small manual that came with the 11.4 disk, but I don't see anything there. I've looked everywhere in Kmail for a place to click that would convert my address book to one of the suggested file formats, but I don't see anything. And when I click on one of the std.vcf files I'm asked to create stuff for Evolution, but I don't want to use that program. I'd like to stay with KMail.

Please explain what I need to do to create and then import the address book and the distribution lists.

Many thanks.
    socref

Can anyone help with an explanation?

Thx
    socref

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast