Failed to execute child process (Permission Denied)

Hi,

I’m trying to start a program, but I keep getting the error:

“There was an error launching the application.”
Details: Failed to execute child process “/home/jjo/Desktop/0ad/build/resources” (Permission denied)

I’ve tried changing the permissions of the file, with no luck.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Hi,

I’m trying to start a program, but I keep getting the error:

“There was an error launching the application.”
Details: Failed to execute child process “/home/jjo/Desktop/0ad/build/resources” (Permission denied)

I’ve tried changing the permissions of the file, with no luck.

Any suggestions?

Regards

We need to know a little more:

1. What program are you trying to run and how are you running it? (program name and location and if it is a menu or desktop shortcut?)
  2. Is “/home/jjo/Desktop/0ad/build/resources” the name of a program, or a text file or a folder or just what is it and who owns it?

Since the main folder is in your desktop folder, it must be something you downloaded or copied there and while it may work OK (thought its not right now), most often I don’t place such files directly on the Desktop. One should have permissions there, but not if it was placed there with root authority. Further, some actions, such as actually installing an application, may be only done with root user access. So, the more you can tell us the better about this problem the better.

Thank You,

On 2011-07-11 23:06, njol wrote:

> I’ve tried changing the permissions of the file, with no luck.

And what are they now? Post output of relevant ls -l command.

> Any suggestions?

Program, command line used, error messages?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Thanks for the help,

0ad.desktop is the program I’m trying to run, its /home/jjo/Desktop/0ad/build/resources/0ad.desktop, the permissions are set at read and write, im not at the computer right now, so I can’t use the terminal ovbiously. I could only download as a tar.gz file so I couldn’t use a installer program.

I’m using my iPod right now please excuse my grammar

Did you know that you can open Dolphin, navigate to the Desktop folder and then the file 0ad.desktop, right click your mouse on this file and select open with kwrite (or other text editor). I have the Office icon on my desk and if I do that to the file Office.desktop file, here is what I find in kwrite:

[Desktop Entry]
X-SuSE-translate=true
Name=Office
Protocols=file;ftp;http;
MiniIcon=openoffice
MimeType=application/x-scalc;application/x-smf;application/x-sdraw;application/x-sds;application/x-swriter;application/x-sgl;application/x-sda;
Exec=oofromtemplate
Icon=ooo-gulls
Path=$HOME
Type=Application
Terminal=0
StartupNotify=false
OnlyShowIn=KDE;

I put the text into a code block with the advanced message editor here in the forum. You could do the same thing with the 0ad.desktop file and post its contents here in your next message like I did for use to look at, when you get back to your computer. The info inside could be helpful to use.

Thank You,

Ok thanks, were is dolphin exactly? I’ve never heard of that program

The icon looks like a File Cabinet, but any file manager will work. Dolphin is just the default for KDE these days.

Thank You,

On 07/12/2011 04:06 AM, njol wrote:

> I could only download as a tar.gz file so I couldn’t use a installer program.

-=welcome=- new poster…

please tell us what program you are wanting to install that you didn’t
find available in YaST…

and, (since you have never heard of Dolphin) tell us your level of
experience in Linux…i have the feeling that you are just getting
started and have tried to follow the installation steps of a completely
different operating system…

and, it will be a lot easier for you if we can help you learn the way
to do it here–like normally we don’t have to mess with tar.gz or
changing file permissions or do anything more than click a button or two.

by the way: if you have done a lot of file permission changes: please
STOP IT before you murder your system.

DD
-Caveat-Hardware-Software-

One does not tell “/home/jjo/Desktop/0ad/build/resources/0ad.desktop, the permissions are set at read and write,”, one posts (between CODE tags the command

ls -l /home/jjo/Desktop/0ad/build/resources/0ad.desktop

and it’s output. No stories, but facts please.

ls -l /home/jjo/Desktop/0ad-r09786-alpha/build/resources/0ad.desktop
-rw-r–r-- 1 jjo users 294 2011-07-12 10:24 /home/jjo/Desktop/0ad-r09786-alpha/build/resources/0ad.desktop

Also when I try a different folder:

ls -l /home/jjo/0ad-r09786-alpha/build/resources/0ad.desktop
-rw-r–r-- 1 jjo users 294 2011-07-12 10:24 /home/jjo/0ad-r09786-alpha/build/resources/0ad.desktop

Please note I only altered the permissions of the file “0ad.desktop”, it is now set at its original permissions.

There are SUSE Packages for 0ad, but There isn’t a version for 11.1 (my SUSE version, I know, it’s a bit old), so, I downloaded the tar gzip files.

Thanks for that. But rereading the thread as it is until now, I get the impression that you do not provide much information spontaniously, nor when asked for. We completly miss what openSUSE level you use and what desktop (when you do not know what Dolphin is, I guess not KDE). How can we guess all these things where you are only talking about a file in your Desktop directory.

Also saying “I’m trying to start a program,…” is not very informative. How do you try this. Remember tthat in Unix/Linux there are miriad ways of doing things and you should tell us what you do, we are not clairvoyant.
I for myself have no idea what the program is you trry to run, nor have many others here if I interprete the posts above correct. Please do explain much more to us. We are trying to help you as volunteers in our spare time, but even spare time has and end and a bit more efficiency will help.

And you did not post your computer text between CODE tags, which I asked for. Now it is off course possible that you do not know how to do it, but you did not mention that or ask for more information. Here it is: Posting in Code Tags - A Guide

Now please, reread all the answers until know and try to formulate a post with extensive answers to the questions in them, filled up with as many information you can.

BTW, a short guess (but only a guess because we have lack of information) is that when you want to execute a file, that file must have the x access bit set. Which isn’t the case.

I noticed about the CODE tags, I tried to change it, but I got a message saying I could edit my post.

x access bit set? Please bear with me, I am still learning linux here, I am still unsure of what more info you want?

In your first post you said you tried to change the peresmissions of that file. That made me think that you know what permission bits are and how to change them.

We want all info! What openSUSE level, which desktop. Weren’t that excact and precise questions where you can give an exact and precise answer. When I do not know I can not give you the method to set the execute bit.

Read all those questions like; what is that for sort of program, and… and …

On 07/12/2011 05:06 PM, njol wrote:
>
> There are SUSE Packages for 0ad

is 0ad a game?

DD

Yes 0ad is a game:

http://wildfiregames.com/0ad/

Ive tried chmod and chown commands,

chmod 644 /home/jjo/Desktop/0ad-r09786-alpha/build/resources/0ad.desktop
chown jjo /home/jjo/Desktop/0ad-r09786-alpha/build/resources/0ad.desktop

I still get the same error:

There was an error launching the application.
Details: Failed to execute child process "/home/jjo/0ad-r09786-alpha/build/resources" (Permission denied)

I have openSUSE 11.1 on a 64 bit machine.

Regards

Hi njol,

In danger of making myself a complete fool, shouldn’t the “*.desktop” file actually be ON the desktop instead of
~/Desktop/0ad-r09786-alpha/build/resources/ ?
This leads me to the question, did you follow the
build instructions
or did you just untar it to your desktop? In the latter case, you can set as many permissions you like: you don’t have an executable file.
Not having any repository left, maybe this is the time to rather upgrade / reinstall 11.3 or 11.4?

In danger of making myself a complete fool,

Hope, I didn’t.
:wink:
CU

kasi

On 07/12/2011 08:36 PM, kasi042 wrote:
> This leads me to the question, did you follow the
> ‘build instructions’
> (http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/BuildInstructions#Linux)

ok gamer @njol, make reading and followinginstructions* a game…

and play it a while…

and when you get real good at it you will find the payoff is having
another game you can play!! (with no sweat)

play on!

DD

openSUSE, the BMW of operating systems!