Thread: Chromium browser icon missing in taskbar

Default Chromium browser icon missing in taskbar

I've installed chromium browser package from Index of /repositories/openSUSE:/11.4:/Contrib/standard

I notice that the taskbar icon has been missing (for quite some time) - I can confirm it on 3 different openSUSE 11.4 installations - on my laptop, my home HTPC/gaming rig and the worstation at work.

The icon in the gnome main menu->internet->chromium looks fine but the icon I get in Compiz Ring Switcher seems to be the same white box icon with the blue bar.

I'm sure it started happening since an update of Chromium in Feb/Mar timeframe.

Does anyone else face similar problem and may be found a solution to get the icon fixed in the taskbar ?

I've attached a screenshot showing the problem.

Thanks.

Haswell i7 4700 | 16GB DDR2400 | ASUS Z87-Pro | 3TB + 3x4TB mdadm5 + 3x1.5TB mdadm5
    Tumbleweed x86_64
    13.1 x86_64

Blog Entries

Default Re: Chromium browser icon missing in taskbar

Hi
    Report it as a bug to the packagers, they are not running the icon update macros in %post/%postun.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

It's an odd problem because it appears on some users but not on one in my system. I discovered however that by copying the icon into my /home folder and then changing the properties to associate the /desktop icon with the one in /home has solved the problem for that user.

Hi,

Malcolm brought this into my attention and I've found and located the problem. This happens because the maintainer of Chromium most likely uses KDE and is not placing the icons on one of the standard paths which in this case should be the 'hicolor-icon-theme' and not the Oxygen icon theme.

For a quick test, if you select the Oxygen icon theme, you will see that the icons display properly. This is a packaging issue and I've opened a bug report (bnc#705223) for this. If this doesn't see solution within the next days, I'll modify the package and submit it, nevertheless it it's the maintainer's call to accept or deny it (though I don't see why he would deny it).

Thanks for bringing this issue into our concern and help making openSUSE a better experience for everyone.

NM