Thread: TheSkyNet.org Linux software can I run it on openSUSE?

Default TheSkyNet.org Linux software can I run it on openSUSE?

Can I install and run this on openSUSE 11.3 or 11.4 ? theSkyNet - News & Announcements (The info from that link pasted as code as you have to be logged in to read that bit)
    Code:
    Linux Client Beta Testing

One of the IT brains working behind the project, Kevin Vinsen, has created a beta Linux Client for theSkyNet. Below are the instructions from Kevin for running the Linux client.

Thanks for helping us test it out! If you have any issues, or just have straight success please reply to the email you received with your feedback.

The installer can install the theSkyNet client on the following *nix platforms:
    *nix type 	chip 	32 bit 	64 bit
    aix 	PPC 	Y 	Y
    freebsd 	x86 	Y 	Y
    hpux 	ia 	Y 	Y
    hpux 	parisc 	Y 	Y
    linux 	ppc 	Y 	Y
    linux 	x86 	Y 	Y
    linux 	ia 		Y
    macosx 	universal 	Y 	Y
    solaris 	sparc 	Y 	Y
    solaris 	x86 	Y 	Y

Prerequisites

1. Java 1.6 is installed on your machine – the installer isn’t very smart yet and assumes this is /usr/bin/java (but you can change it)

2. You have sufficient access to install it, if you what to install the service. If you happy to start and stop it yourself any user should do.

The SkyNet client install is called nereus_nix_installer.sh. This is a self extracting bash script. Download it from http://ict.icrar.org/store/skynet/

To install

./nereus_nix_installer.sh userid installDir [install]

userid: If you registered with theSkyNet you will have a theSkyNet account ID. If you want to earn credits give your account ID number. If you are happy to donate anonymously enter anon

installDir: The directory you wish the software to be installed under. The installer will create a directory called nereus under this directory to hold the software. The directory must exist and you must be able to write to it.

[install] Optional argument that tells the installer to install theSkyNet client as a service.

The install does not start the client
    Examples:

./nereus_nix_installer.sh anon /opt

Installs theSkyNet in /opt/nereus and donates anonymously. You still need to start the client.

./nereus_nix_installer.sh anon /opt/sw install

Installs theSkyNet in /opt/sw/nereus, installs the client as a service and donates anonymously. You still need to start the service.

./nereus_nix_installer.sh 100001 /opt

Installs theSkyNet in /opt/nereus, and earns credits for account ID 10001. You still need to start the client.

./nereus_nix_installer.sh 10001 /opt/sw install

Installs theSkyNet in /opt/sw/nereus, installs the client as a service and earns credits for account ID 10001. You still need to start the service.
    Running theSkyNet client

$ cd /nereus

$ sudo bin/nereus_service.sh start
    Stopping theSkyNet client

$ cd /nereus

$ sudo bin/nereus_service.sh stop
    Installing theSkyNet client as a service

$ cd /nereus

$ sudo bin/nereus_service.sh install
    Removing theSkyNet client as a service

$ cd /nereus

$ sudo bin/nereus_service.sh remove
    Uninstalling theSkyNet client

$ cd

$ sudo nereus/bin/nereus_service.sh remove

$ sudo rm –rf nereus
    Modifying the Java path

The file /nereus/config/wrapper.conf controls how the Java wrapper is started. Edit this file and modify the line:
    wrapper.java.command=/usr/bin/java
    to point to where your java executable is installed
    Troubleshooting

Rotating log files (we keep the last 20) are stored in /nereus/log. If you encounter problems this might give you a clue to what is wrong. If you can’t work it out send them to us.
    Acknowledgements

Thank you to the people at Tanuki Software for the Community edition of their Java Service Wrapper (http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.com).
    I am running it in Mozilla Firefox as a applet right now but would like to have one machine running it in the background and not have a browser I am not using open.
    Tumbleweed

Default Re: TheSkyNet.org Linux software can I run it on openSUSE?

It says Y for Linux x86 64 bit which is what the Phenom is supposed to be compatible with - so in theory Yes.

Default Re: TheSkyNet.org Linux software can I run it on openSUSE?

I some how fumbled about and got it installed on a old single core machine running 1.4 GHz I don't know if it's self starting on boot though.
    I installed it in a directory in my /home/username directory and started the service once I got it installed from the cli. I had to install it as su and start it as su. I may have screwed up. I though if I installed it in my own directory it wouldn't need to be run as root. I didn't manage to get it installed or to run it that way though.
    Tumbleweed