Thread: chmsee fails to startup and kchmviewer doesnt work either

Default chmsee fails to startup and kchmviewer doesnt work either

This is the first time I'm trying out chmsee on 11.4 (I've tried on previous version - never had any issues with it).

The problem is chmsee fails to start. It gives error as shown below:

Code:
    ** (chmsee:11798): WARNING **: GECKO_UTILS >>> Couldn't find a compatible GRE!

** ERROR **: Initialize html render engine failed!
    aborting...

[1]+  Done                    chmsee
    Searching for this error on google yields quite a few results, but no solution posted anywhere.

One page suggested it might be something which has got to with the mozilla-xulrunner dependency. Those libraries seem to be installed and intact i.e. I dont observe any missing dependencies in the Software Manager - YaST.

I tried out kchmviewer, but it doesn't seem to be rendering any of the HTML, all I get are blank pages

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

In fact any alternate chm viewers (if any) would also work for me. I'm okay with compiling from source even.
    Haswell i7 4700 | 16GB DDR2400 | ASUS Z87-Pro | 3TB + 3x4TB mdadm5 + 3x1.5TB mdadm5
    Tumbleweed x86_64
    13.1 x86_64

Default Re: chmsee fails to startup and kchmviewer doesnt work either

Install mozilla-xulrunner192 (I think I got mine from the mozilla build service). That fixed it for me.

The current version in the repos does not support the latest Firefox. Someone must have assumed mozilla would not break things or something else that was not correct when they wrote the rpm dependencies.

Thanks - that worked awesome
    Haswell i7 4700 | 16GB DDR2400 | ASUS Z87-Pro | 3TB + 3x4TB mdadm5 + 3x1.5TB mdadm5
    Tumbleweed x86_64
    13.1 x86_64

Thanks, worked for me too.

Alternative solution is upgrading to version 1.3.1.1. I've made the following package for myself with additional visual fix for Sonar gtk theme https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...A11.4%3AUpdate

Okular used to handle CHM files when KDE4 launched, but I note my current version on a SUSE 12.1 install with KDE 4.7 no longer does. The Okular download page states that you need 'libchm' installed. That doesn't show up in my repos but 'chmlib' is already installed. However, going to 'Configure Backends' in Okular shows only Ghostscript and there's nothing about CHM.