Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Problem with LDAP AddressBook and Thunderbird

  1. #1

    Default Problem with LDAP AddressBook and Thunderbird

    I was able to add my LDAP Address book to Thunderbird but I'm getting a weird issue:

    1. If I search for an address by going to "AddressBook->Edit->Search Addresses" it finds them correctly

    2. If I type the name into a "compose email" "to" field, it cannot find them!
    (This despite setting the LDAP server to be searched in both global and account settings' "Composition & Addressing")

    Does anyone know what might be wrong?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UTC+10
    Posts
    9,686
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Problem with LDAP AddressBook and Thunderbird

    What version TB and what type of LDAP server? It's worked for me for a long time, when I start typing into the address field it gives a list of potential address completions from openldap. Maybe your LDAP server doesn't support substring search?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Problem with LDAP AddressBook and Thunderbird

    Using Thunderbird 3.1.10. (Although I have someone using 3.1.11 and same exchange 2003 server, they also couldn't get it to work)

    Quote Originally Posted by ken_yap View Post
    What version TB and what type of LDAP server? It's worked for me for a long time, when I start typing into the address field it gives a list of potential address completions from openldap. Maybe your LDAP server doesn't support substring search?
    No it isn't that because:

    * If I'm in AddressBook and type "Jo", it finds "John Franklin" and others that are on my exchange server but I've never typed into thunderbird or received an email on thunderbird from them.

    I think there's some error in how it submits the search in the compose window that's different than in address search

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UTC+10
    Posts
    9,686
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Problem with LDAP AddressBook and Thunderbird

    1. is how it is supposed to work, the LDAP address book is organisation wide. You can't add your personal entries to it, enterprise LDAP servers are read-only (for users). However you can also use your personal address book (non-LDAP) in conjunction.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Problem with LDAP AddressBook and Thunderbird

    Quote Originally Posted by ken_yap View Post
    1. is how it is supposed to work, the LDAP address book is organisation wide. You can't add your personal entries to it, enterprise LDAP servers are read-only (for users). However you can also use your personal address book (non-LDAP) in conjunction.
    Yes, I know. I'm not trying to add entries. What I'm saying is, if I'm composing a message and I click the "to" field and start typing "jo" it should find all the contacts from the LDAP server that have "jo" in them and suggest them. It is NOT doing this.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UTC+10
    Posts
    9,686
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Problem with LDAP AddressBook and Thunderbird

    I've found that the address completion only finds entries starting with what you type.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Problem with LDAP AddressBook and Thunderbird

    Quote Originally Posted by ken_yap View Post
    I've found that the address completion only finds entries starting with what you type.
    Yep, that doesn't work either.

    Again, that works in the address book search. It just doesn't work in the "to" field of a new message.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UTC+10
    Posts
    9,686
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Problem with LDAP AddressBook and Thunderbird

    Sorry, I don't have any experience with Outlook, just openldap.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Problem with LDAP AddressBook and Thunderbird

    Quote Originally Posted by ken_yap View Post
    Sorry, I don't have any experience with Outlook, just openldap.
    OK, no prob, thanks anyways.

    It's not using Outlook, though, it's thunderbird plus exchange.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UTC+10
    Posts
    9,686
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Problem with LDAP AddressBook and Thunderbird

    That's what I meant, M$ware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •