Thread: Lost files

Default Lost files

I wiped an old Xp drive by using the partitioner in Yast to format it with ext4 but later realized I missed some files I wanted to keep when I transferred stuff over before doing that. Are they gone for good or is there any chance of recovering them?

edit: Never mind I have them after all.

Default Re: Lost files

Glad you found them. If you ever need to recover files from a deleted partitions, install the photorec package (you need contrib repo enabled), it includes testdisk.
    photorec is a pretty cool program that allows you to recover files in cases such as yours.

Hey, I'm glad you replied because I since this happened wanted to know that anyway.

I'm sure a lot of other people were curious too.

Thanks.

I am actually having some problems to recover files.
    My case is this. Upon a new installation something went wrong, i was tired and woop the system formated my drive with all the datas.
    Originally it was a xfs filesystem, now its an ext4.
    Once i run testdisk it shows me the partitions but i can't select files and if i hit enter only the ext4 partition shows up.
    [After deep search is finished i see what testdisk found and i get shown 4 xfs and one ext4 partition. But originally there was only 1 xfs partition. I can not use the p key there to see the files, instead i have to hit enter. If i do that, i will see only the ext4 partition.]

I try this already for 3 days in hope i might get back some files, but so far i wasn't successful.
    Is there any hope or do you need more 'special' tools?
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE